Jeff Fisher comments on interest in the UT job

I repeat, HAS A HIGHER NFL WINNING % THAN GRUDEN
If you want a retired 63 year old defensive minded NFL coach, why not Bill Cower?

Bill Cowher - Wikipedia

Cowher began his NFL career as a linebacker with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1979, but signed with the Cleveland Browns the following year. Cowher played three seasons (1980–82) in Cleveland, making him a member of the Kardiac Kids, before being traded back to the Eagles, where he played two more years (1983–84). His tenure in Philadelphia included tackling a young Jeff Fisher (who later became the head coach of the Tennessee Titans) when playing against the Chicago Bears, causing Fisher to break his leg. The two would later be rival head coaches and friends in the AFC Central division, and Fisher has credited his injury at the hands of Cowher with having the unintended consequence of propelling him into coaching.

I'm not advocating for Jeff Fisher to be our coach, but in all fairness, Tom Landry was one of the best ever and he lost 162 and only had a .605 winning percentage. NFL is designed for parity, and doing so in small markets for long enough to amass 165 losses means that quite a few people thought Fisher was a good coach.

I see what you're saying, but his overall at Tn/ Houston was 142 wins with 120 losses for a .542 avg.

With Stl. he was only 31 and 45 for a .414 avg.
His overall is just barley over .500 at .512

Out of 22 years as a head coach, he only had 6 winning seasons.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
I see what you're saying, but his overall at Tn/ Houston was 142 wins with 120 losses for a .542 avg.

With Stl. he was only 31 and 45 for a .414 avg.
His overall is just barley over .500 at .512

Out of 22 years as a head coach, he only had 6 winning seasons.

Chuck Noll - 4 Super Bowls - .566 winning percentage. Considered one of the top 5 coaches in the history of football.

John McKay - 4 NCAA Titles - .335 in 9 seasons in the NFL

Steve Spurrier - 1 NCAA Title - .375 in 2 NFL seasons.

Gene Stallings - 1 NCAA Title - .405 in 4 seasons in the NFL.

Dennis Erickson - 2 NCAA Titles - .417 in 6 seasons in the NFL.

Nick Saban - 5 NCAA titles - .468 in 2 seasons in the NFL.

*Winning in the post-merger NFL is hard. Winning in the salary cap era is even harder.

I would gladly take any NFL coach with over 10 years as a head coach and a .500 record in the NFL who has been to the super bowl. The NFL is a different animal and a over .500 record isn’t easy to come by. He might not be the best hire possible. But he would be the best hire we have made since Fulmer. With good assistants and a top notch OC he could win a lot of games at UT

Last edited:
The question would be could he hire a good staff. If he can mange the team really good and hire a staff that can coach and develop and allow them to do there job then might be a good hire.
That's what I was thinking. He would be a great leader of young men and he could help teach and be a c.o like Herm Edwards he would let his assistants do there job. I also believe he has worked with Chaney.

Reactions: Southeastern VFL
Holy crap this place has lost its damn mind if we have people that actually want Jeff Fisher.

Jeff Fisher went to the Super Bowl.......21 years ago. His last playoff win was 17 years ago. His last playoff appearance was 12 years ago. He didn't have a winning season his last 7 seasons, with the final 6 all being losing seasons. His 21 seasons saw 6 good seasons to offset 15 meh to terrible seasons. 2 of his 6 playoff seasons saw him blow the #1 seed in the playoffs. The guy's overall NFL career screams meh.

If you think an average NFL coach who hasn't even been relevant in the NFL for 13 years and has zero college coaching experience is a great hire for UT and we should be going after him.....holy crap we may need to just give up. I would take Fulmer again in a heartbeat over a guy like Fisher who would be a disaster.

Just....rofl at the idea that Jeff Fisher would be a good hire.

Jeff Fisher is an outstanding coach.

He would be a godsend to the program.

Do it, Phil.
If UT attempts to to hire proven college coaches first and that fails, then JF as a back up option wouldn’t be the end of the world. UT has done much worse. Can JF recruit at a high level in the SEC against Bama, UF, and UGA? That is the big question.

Reactions: Raebo and FLVOL_79
You are the one that brought up Saban. This is an offensive game now, not a defensive one. Even Saban has said that. So no I don’t want a has been defensive minded coach to come in and coach this team. And for the record Pruitt was Sabans DC.
So maybe we just hire you, seeing you k or so much. Not sure how the admin has over looked your amazing coaching abilities and eye for talent. I will take the word of former NFL players over your ridiculous claims.

Saban is a defensive minded / conservative coach as well. Say what you like but Kiffin showed him you need to sling it around and put points on the board. Since that time Saban has changed the team to a more open style offense. My point, yes Fisher is a defensive minded coach. That doesn't mean he's not smart enough to see the light in today's game and hire a quality OC to put points on the board.

Please no.
I never understood the love for that guy.
We don't need his run, run, pass, punt offense here

If I'm any washed up, been out of the game, coach I'd want the UT job as well. Get paid a ton (guaranteed) and if you fail, you'll still get paid a ton.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
Holy crap this place has lost its damn mind if we have people that actually want Jeff Fisher.

Jeff Fisher went to the Super Bowl.......21 years ago. His last playoff win was 17 years ago. His last playoff appearance was 12 years ago. He didn't have a winning season his last 7 seasons, with the final 6 all being losing seasons. His 21 seasons saw 6 good seasons to offset 15 meh to terrible seasons. 2 of his 6 playoff seasons saw him blow the #1 seed in the playoffs. The guy's overall NFL career screams meh.

If you think an average NFL coach who hasn't even been relevant in the NFL for 13 years and has zero college coaching experience is a great hire for UT and we should be going after him.....holy crap we may need to just give up. I would take Fulmer again in a heartbeat over a guy like Fisher who would be a disaster.

Just....rofl at the idea that Jeff Fisher would be a good hire.
When was Saban’s last playoff win and Super Bowl appearance? He came from the pros.

Reactions: BLUTickbusdriver

VN Store

Back