Jeff Fisher comments on interest in the UT job

Hell Jeff Fisher could be the next Pete Carroll. Guy that failed in the NFL but was a great CEO that hired super talented college staff coaches. He was a great salesman to recruits, alumni, and the media. Just hope he doesn’t get caught landing us our own Reggie Bush.
Fisher knows how to stay in his lane as well. Idk what to say. At least he’s interested. Probably a better option than what we would have ie the southeastern middle school junior high football coach.

I know Jeff on a personal level. What some of the doubters don’t understand is he is fully aware of his shortcomings and is committed to change. He may be an epic fail, however, we would have fun doing it!

I don't doubt that at all. Good coaches,.or just good leaders in general, are open to change and are very self aware of their strengths and weaknesses.

Look at how Saban has been willing to change his philosophies in order to win and stay on top.

Thanks Jeff for what you did with the Titans. But commenting on air about a job that is not open and no other schools/NFL jobs are calling sounds like desperation. Titan Up though!

Excellent post. Jeff was pretty solid for a few years and had one great run that fell 1 yard short. But....

There is no way in hell you comment on a job that is not open in his profession. That shows lack of character. There has to be a reason that no college has ever hired him and no NFL org has hired him in years. Good guy I suppose but not what UT needs.

Fisher made the playoffs with multiple different key players at key positions. I have no doubt he could be a great leader of the program IF he got the right coordinators in place. I still would prefer a great offensive innovator come in but fisher isn’t the worst idea. Hell he probably isn’t even as bad as who we will hire.

Who wouldn't be interested? Go there, don't win the SEC championship by year three, fanbase calls for your head AD buckles and fires you. You then ride the buyout gravy train while doing nothing. No brainer to me.

Where else can a coach go and field mediocre-to-bad teams for multiple seasons, and still have a section of the fanbase idolise, and defend them as if they were the lovechild of Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant, capable of no football wrong?

Last edited:
Outside of Pete Carroll, name another coach whose whole career was spent in the NFL then was highly successful in CFB. And even Carroll coached as an assistant in college. It is a different game...

I feel good about Fisher as HC. I had hoped for this, but never really considered it a real possibility. He could manage his resources in ways he was never allowed to do as NFL coach. He gets to go after the players he wants. He can do it and learn the differences.

Tennessee money would rather implode the stadium than hire Kiffin
Not true. If Kiffin had the chance he would come back to Knoxville and redeem himself to make us a title program. He is going to kick ass at Ole Miss and I wish we had him right now. He's grown up a lot since he bugged out on us too soon. Life is strange.

Reactions: buckfama
Not true. If Kiffin had the chance he would come back to Knoxville and redeem himself to make us a title program. He is going to kick ass at Ole Miss and I wish we had him right now. He's grown up a lot since he bugged out on us too soon. Life is strange.

Why do folks say that Kiffin wants to come back to Knoxville? Where has he said this?

Hugh Freeze has dropped more hints about wanting the UT job than Kiffin.

I don’t give a damn if Lane Kiffin is the greatest coach on the planet, there’s zero way in hell he gets a job back here. It’s not about qualifications, he burned bridges when he left. Actually he nuked bridges then pissed on the ashes. We would not hire him as an OC much less as a head coach.

There's basically no chance we hire Freeze. But that's still way more likely than Kiffin coaching here again.

I don’t give a damn if Lane Kiffin is the greatest coach on the planet, there’s zero way in hell he gets a job back here. It’s not about qualifications, he burned bridges when he left. Actually he nuked bridges then pissed on the ashes. We would not hire him as an OC much less as a head coach.
The reputation of our football program took a huge nosedive the night he walked out and left us with the NCAA on our doorstep.

Why do folks say that Kiffin wants to come back to Knoxville? Where has he said this?

Hugh Freeze has dropped more hints about wanting the UT job than Kiffin.
He hasn't. It's one of those things that has been said on here so many times people assume it's fact. He's not going to kiffin Ole Miss to come here after a year.

If Fulmer is left in charge he will hire someone with Tennessee ties. I said no way in hell Tee would ever get a chance but damn we may actually hire someone of that level of qualification if Fulmer is left in power.

Reactions: onevol74
I feel good about Fisher as HC. I had hoped for this, but never really considered it a real possibility. He could manage his resources in ways he was never allowed to do as NFL coach. He gets to go after the players he wants. He can do it and learn the differences.
hope you like defense games in this offense oriented conference. Worked out well for Mason

Not getting any of those guys tho... that’s what people don’t seem to get... we are gonna be scraping the bottom of the barrel

I feel the same. That's why I think if you're able to get a quality coach like Fisher showing interest, you don't just dismiss it.

I think a lot of folks are gonna get their feelings hurt when/if Pruitt is fired and names start leaking about possible hires. I think the list is going to be short and not many well known names.

He hasn't. It's one of those things that has been said on here so many times people assume it's fact. He's not going to kiffin Ole Miss to come here after a year.

The only thing I can recall him saying about him leaving was he regretted it. He regretted it happening the way it did.

But that's about it. other than him trolling vol fans having fun on Twitter and media running to him to ask questions about UT.

hope you like defense games in this offense oriented conference. Worked out well for Mason
He has to get a wide open offensive scheme, as you obviously know. That is how he actually won division titles, when he was on top in Nashville. I would think Saban has shown the way forward in this regard.

Reactions: buckfama
Tennessee money would rather implode the stadium than hire Kiffin
Wait a minute, DaddyChad. I'm just saying... we were all jacked up and upset on how abrubptly Kiffin left, but he is trying to do better AS A COACH and AS A PERSON in this profession. I would definitely take him over our current coach.

Wait a minute, DaddyChad. I'm just saying... we were all jacked up and upset on how abrubptly Kiffin left, but he is trying to do better AS A COACH and AS A PERSON in this profession. I would definitely take him over our current coach.

Where do you get this "Kiffin want to come to UT to win titles"?

This has to be blue font.

And I'm not saying he's not a good coach or wouldn't be good for UT, but I just don't see it happening. Especially with Fulmer in charge right now.

VN Store

Back