Jeff Fisher comments on interest in the UT job

I know Jeff on a personal level. What some of the doubters don’t understand is he is fully aware of his shortcomings and is committed to change. He may be an epic fail, however, we would have fun doing it!

Oh well us having fun is the more important thing right? Winning? Not important. Just having fun 🙄

Where do you get this "Kiffin want to come to UT to win titles"?

This has to be blue font.

And I'm not saying he's not a good coach or wouldn't be good for UT, but I just don't see it happening. Especially with Fulmer in charge right now.
Sorry, I was just posting away and I don't know what I hit on the keyboard but lost it. Anyway, in my opinion I think Kiffin (if the timing had been right and probably never will be) would have wanted another chance to excel for the Vols. That's all.

Reactions: buckfama
Sorry, I was just posting away and I don't know what I hit on the keyboard but lost it. Anyway, in my opinion I think Kiffin (if the timing had been right and probably never will be) would have wanted another chance to excel for the Vols. That's all.

I can agree to that. He has even said he regretted how it happened.

I think he's a good coach and would do great here. But it ain't gonna happen. Like someone else said, he burned those bridges and pissed on the ashes.

Reactions: FirstAndGoal
He holds the record for the most regular-season losses by an NFL head coach at 165, tied with Dan Reeves
I'm not advocating for Jeff Fisher to be our coach, but in all fairness, Tom Landry was one of the best ever and he lost 162 and only had a .605 winning percentage. NFL is designed for parity, and doing so in small markets for long enough to amass 165 losses means that quite a few people thought Fisher was a good coach.

We can do much better than a guy whom has never coached a down of CF.

Other than better coaching in the NFL, how is college football different than the pros? Ask any former college player who made the pros, who were the better coaches. The game is the same, HS to the pros, just better players. I for one am tired of players being out of position time after time. Recruits come to coaches they trust.

Reactions: UTwild82
From a Sports Illustrated article from January 2019 about Coach Fisher. Thought it was interesting seeing things from this perspective.
Jeff Fisher is more than your 7–9 jokes
“I loved playing for Jeff,” says Eddie George, a former Titans running back. “He’s the consummate players coach. He gave us range and freedom to be men, but held us accountable inside the locker room to get our job done. He knew how to coach the person, not just the player. And it was more like he was really interested in our lives, our families lives, what made us tick. He knew how to inspire, mentor, nourish and cultivate guys. He’s a people’s person for sure.”

Keith Bulluck, a linebacker for the Titans from 2000-09, agrees. “Depending on who you were, he would handle things differently. He treated Eddie differently than Frank, and Frank differently than Steve, you know? He just had a good gauge on his players' personalities and what not, that made him an effective coach by knowing his players. Not just as what they could do on the field but who they are as a person.”
Fisher says everyone thinks he was fired from the Titans, but he left Tennessee voluntarily. The Titans front office confirms his story: with one year left on Fisher’s contract and a lot of big decisions to make, it made more sense for both sides to walk away. In 2012 Fisher took the head-coaching job in St. Louis because he liked the owner, Stan Kroenke, and the promising quarterback Sam Bradford. It seemed like a great set up, but Fisher had no idea what challenges he was about to face.

After going 7-8-1 in his first year as head coach in St. Louis, Fisher lost his QB when Bradford tore his ACL in Week 7 of the 2013 season. In a cruel twist of fate, Bradford re-tore his ACL in the ’14 preseason. Then Kroenke announced that he was moving the team to Los Angeles. Fisher says he had a hard time holding onto coaches and hiring new ones with a huge change looming over the franchise. And having once dealt with the distractions, logistics, and complications that come with relocating a franchise, he didn’t blame them.
Fisher traded up to draft Goff with the No. 1 pick in 2016. He says he initially didn’t make Goff the starter so the rookie could adjust to the NFL, but his decision to start Case Keenum at quarterback instead drew plenty of criticism. After a 3–1 start that season, things began to fall apart until, after a particularly embarrassing loss to Atlanta, the team sat 4-9. Rams COO and EVP Kevin Demoff (who declined to comment for this story) told Fisher they were going in a different direction, which surprised the head coach—he had an idea he’d be fired but he thought he’d finish out the season.

Numbers tell a story, but different people decode them in different ways. Sometimes the takeaway is obvious, but in Fisher’s case, you can decide what to see. You might view Fisher’s first season with the Rams as a laughable “Jeff Fisher Day” 8–8, but he views it an improvement over the 2–14 team he inherited. You might look at his St. Louis team that never got above .500, but Fisher sees one ACL tear, several lost coaches, and moving 150 people across state lines to an uncertain future. You might see the Rams’ 13–3 record under McVay as evidence that Fisher couldn’t get it done, but Fisher sees the No. 1 pick he drafted blossoming into the player he knew he’d be. You might laugh at Fisher’s career .512 average, but Fisher sees the two teams, five different cities and six different stadiums, and wonders how you expected him to do any better given the circumstances.

“We all loved Coach Fish. A guy that looks out for players, and keeps it special, and takes all the sh** like he used to, and all of our struggles?” says Rodger Saffold, who played for Fisher in St. Louis and Los Angeles, and plays for McVay now. “You can’t do anything but fight for a guy like that.”

Gregg Williams, who was relieved of his duties as the Browns interim head coach on Wednesday, worked with Fisher in St. Louis and Los Angeles as his defensive coordinator in 2012 (Williams was suspended indefinitely that season for his role in the Saints’ Bountygate scandal) and from 2014-16. If Fisher were to get a head coaching offer, Williams would work for him as his defensive coordinator in a heartbeat.
“[Fisher] is the best I’ve ever been with on understanding all the different areas of football operations, on how coordinated they have to be to be able to win on a National Football League level,” Williams says. It’s not just about coaching, not just about players, not just about facilities. All those things have to go hand-in-hand, and he’s the best I’ve ever seen on understanding all of that.”
With a number of NFL offenses performing at historic rates, there’s little patience when a team isn’t producing. GMs are afforded more slack, but coaches who don’t win are fired. Steve Wilkes only had one year to try to turn around a sinking ship in Arizona with a roster that Bruce Arians let deteriorate. Arians recently secured the Tampa Bay Buccaneers job, and the 39-year-old Kliff Kingsbury, the former USC offensive coordinator and Texas Tech head coach, is the new head coach in Arizona. Guys like Kingsbury, McVay and Matt Nagy, who took over a promising Bears roster from John Fox, are what teams want most.
“It doesn’t help that the Rams are successful now, because it’s a, ‘See, I told you so!’” Eddie George says. “You look at the Rams success now and you think, ‘What was Jeff Fisher doing?’ But they’re winning with his roster, the bulk of his guys he drafted. He knows how to build a team. We’ll see how it pans out down the line. But I think that Jeff’s a hell of a coach and I think he deserves an opportunity.”

Last edited:
I’d say we go for it. Dude has been a head coach. Has lived in TN. Proven success and can actually coach. Keep him around for 5-6 years then make our splash hire.

Other than better coaching in the NFL, how is college football different than the pros? Ask any former college player who made the pros, who were the better coaches. The game is the same, HS to the pros, just better players. I for one am tired of players being out of position time after time. Recruits come to coaches they trust.

Recruiting is the massive difference. Something Fisher hasn’t ever done. Also, there is no free agency either. Fisher sucked as a HC. What makes you think a HS recruit would trust or want to play for a guy who has never coached a down of CF?

I’d say we go for it. Dude has been a head coach. Has lived in TN. Proven success and can actually coach. Keep him around for 5-6 years then make our splash hire.

What proven success? Barely over .500? If he could actually coach good, why doesn’t he have an NFL job?

I'd not be upset with that at all

Hell, i'd take Butch Jones back over Pruitt and you all know how I felt about Butch
🦌 Lord that is pathetic on so many levels CV that I don’t even know where to begin .....

Actually I do know where to begin . That is so farking sad that I have pretty much reached the same conclusion. Even a week ago I would have called complete shenanigans. As bad a HCCB is I still was convinced that we were better off than if we still had HCLJ. One week and I can’t even count how many transfer portal threads later now I am right there with you .

You compare Pruitt to Sabin are you high
You are the one that brought up Saban. This is an offensive game now, not a defensive one. Even Saban has said that. So no I don’t want a has been defensive minded coach to come in and coach this team. And for the record Pruitt was Sabans DC.

So basically you wan another rookie HC in the SEC?

Easy there Cochise...I was commenting on his personal attributes that I witnessed first hand, and yes, he’d be a HUGE upgrade over cornbread! That said I’m good with freeze too, but I’m telling you...don’t discount Fish...he’s savvy, smart... treats people well and was good to go when I worked with him!

From a Sports Illustrated article from January 2019 about Coach Fisher. Thought it was interesting seeing things from this perspective.
“I loved playing for Jeff,” says Eddie George, a former Titans running back. “He’s the consummate players coach. He gave us range and freedom to be men, but held us accountable inside the locker room to get our job done. He knew how to coach the person, not just the player. And it was more like he was really interested in our lives, our families lives, what made us tick. He knew how to inspire, mentor, nourish and cultivate guys. He’s a people’s person for sure.”

Keith Bulluck, a linebacker for the Titans from 2000-09, agrees. “Depending on who you were, he would handle things differently. He treated Eddie differently than Frank, and Frank differently than Steve, you know? He just had a good gauge on his players' personalities and what not, that made him an effective coach by knowing his players. Not just as what they could do on the field but who they are as a person.”
Fisher says everyone thinks he was fired from the Titans, but he left Tennessee voluntarily. The Titans front office confirms his story: with one year left on Fisher’s contract and a lot of big decisions to make, it made more sense for both sides to walk away. In 2012 Fisher took the head-coaching job in St. Louis because he liked the owner, Stan Kroenke, and the promising quarterback Sam Bradford. It seemed like a great set up, but Fisher had no idea what challenges he was about to face.

After going 7-8-1 in his first year as head coach in St. Louis, Fisher lost his QB when Bradford tore his ACL in Week 7 of the 2013 season. In a cruel twist of fate, Bradford re-tore his ACL in the ’14 preseason. Then Kroenke announced that he was moving the team to Los Angeles. Fisher says he had a hard time holding onto coaches and hiring new ones with a huge change looming over the franchise. And having once dealt with the distractions, logistics, and complications that come with relocating a franchise, he didn’t blame them.
Fisher traded up to draft Goff with the No. 1 pick in 2016. He says he initially didn’t make Goff the starter so the rookie could adjust to the NFL, but his decision to start Case Keenum at quarterback instead drew plenty of criticism. After a 3–1 start that season, things began to fall apart until, after a particularly embarrassing loss to Atlanta, the team sat 4-9. Rams COO and EVP Kevin Demoff (who declined to comment for this story) told Fisher they were going in a different direction, which surprised the head coach—he had an idea he’d be fired but he thought he’d finish out the season.

Numbers tell a story, but different people decode them in different ways. Sometimes the takeaway is obvious, but in Fisher’s case, you can decide what to see. You might view Fisher’s first season with the Rams as a laughable “Jeff Fisher Day” 8–8, but he views it an improvement over the 2–14 team he inherited. You might look at his St. Louis team that never got above .500, but Fisher sees one ACL tear, several lost coaches, and moving 150 people across state lines to an uncertain future. You might see the Rams’ 13–3 record under McVay as evidence that Fisher couldn’t get it done, but Fisher sees the No. 1 pick he drafted blossoming into the player he knew he’d be. You might laugh at Fisher’s career .512 average, but Fisher sees the two teams, five different cities and six different stadiums, and wonders how you expected him to do any better given the circumstances.

“We all loved Coach Fish. A guy that looks out for players, and keeps it special, and takes all the sh** like he used to, and all of our struggles?” says Rodger Saffold, who played for Fisher in St. Louis and Los Angeles, and plays for McVay now. “You can’t do anything but fight for a guy like that.”

Gregg Williams, who was relieved of his duties as the Browns interim head coach on Wednesday, worked with Fisher in St. Louis and Los Angeles as his defensive coordinator in 2012 (Williams was suspended indefinitely that season for his role in the Saints’ Bountygate scandal) and from 2014-16. If Fisher were to get a head coaching offer, Williams would work for him as his defensive coordinator in a heartbeat.
“[Fisher] is the best I’ve ever been with on understanding all the different areas of football operations, on how coordinated they have to be to be able to win on a National Football League level,” Williams says. It’s not just about coaching, not just about players, not just about facilities. All those things have to go hand-in-hand, and he’s the best I’ve ever seen on understanding all of that.”
With a number of NFL offenses performing at historic rates, there’s little patience when a team isn’t producing. GMs are afforded more slack, but coaches who don’t win are fired. Steve Wilkes only had one year to try to turn around a sinking ship in Arizona with a roster that Bruce Arians let deteriorate. Arians recently secured the Tampa Bay Buccaneers job, and the 39-year-old Kliff Kingsbury, the former USC offensive coordinator and Texas Tech head coach, is the new head coach in Arizona. Guys like Kingsbury, McVay and Matt Nagy, who took over a promising Bears roster from John Fox, are what teams want most.
“It doesn’t help that the Rams are successful now, because it’s a, ‘See, I told you so!’” Eddie George says. “You look at the Rams success now and you think, ‘What was Jeff Fisher doing?’ But they’re winning with his roster, the bulk of his guys he drafted. He knows how to build a team. We’ll see how it pans out down the line. But I think that Jeff’s a hell of a coach and I think he deserves an opportunity.”
wtf,,..all I got was eat corn flakes for breakfast out of all of this

THANK YOU!!!

Reactions: DERELICK_MY_VOLS
Who do you want?
Fair enough, I’ll give you my wish list and what I truly think, in order of preference:

Kiffen- best all around coach that might be available. Would have us competitive within 2 years, would have us competing for SEC titles in 4-5 years. Will never happen because egos will get in the way. McFattypuss Fulmer would basically have to be circumvented and it would piss off the Haslams to no end, never happen.

Freeze- logical choice, would walk over glass to get here. in the top 3-4 offensive minds in CFB, will be back in a P5 program after next year. Lot of folks think the SEC office won’t sign off, those folks are wrong, he has already been given the green light by Sankey et al. Others have a stick up their ass and think TN is some holier than thou program. They forget McFattypuss once had the ultimate bagman, Rodney Garner work for him. 50-50 they will hire him, it is possible.

Billy Napier- Has worked as an OC at various places, coached in the SEC, and while he is at a smaller school, he is successful. He is young, energetic, and by all reports an excellent recruiter. Within 2 years, he is at a P5 school. He may be holding out for LSU though. But he is from Cookeville.

Campbell- the only reason he is below Napier, is I don’t think he wants to leave the Midwest. He might be holding out for when they finally run off Harbaugh at Michigan.

Fickel- would be my #3, has been around big programs, had Cincinnati at #9 in the nation, and yes, he chocked in his bowl game. But, the fact he had them there is what needs to be focused on. Like I said he would be my #3, except, I think he goes back to tOSU when Day goes to the NFL. They prow the contact him.

Tom Allen- the only defensive guy on my list, took over a woeful program at Indiana, and totally changed the culture of the program. Another Midwest guy, that probably won’t get contacte, but would be a solid guy.

these are my top 6, now I would like to have Urban Meyer, but that will take 12 million a year, I’d pay it, TN won’t. Stoops will never coach against his brother. But, the thing that all these guys do is change the culture of the programs they go to. They are proven winners and dynamic coaches who understand the college landscape.

Fisher does not have any of those traits, before I hired him, I where Marrone, and that is where I think they will wind up at. I hope I’m wrong, but, I don’t have any faith that the powers that be, actually want to win.

VN Store

Back