Is signing a PG a must?

If Rennie makes any improvement in her speed and defensive ability she will be a deadly asset from 3.
That's the same IF that's held back our best potential outside shooters for years. Kortney Dunbar syndrome. But yes, maybe Rennie will be the one, with better developmental coaching, to break out of the iffy mold. That would be a delightful bonus.

Reactions: VolBall09
That's the same IF that's held back our best potential outside shooters for years. Kortney Dunbar syndrome. But yes, maybe Rennie will be the one, with better developmental coaching, to break out of the iffy mold. That would be a delightful bonus.

Agreed. None of them could shoot like Jessie though. Dunbar shot 21% (11-52) as a junior and 37% (19-51) as a senior. A vast improvement, but still not even close to Rennie as a freshman.

If she can consistently shoot that well I think we could stand to lose a little defensively. She needs to watch film of great shot hunters like Karlie Samuelson and Leilani Mitchell. They read the defense so well and move to that open spot without attracting attention.

The Knights Who Say "Ni!". Stop doing it and we'll stop saying it. Quit personalizing so you can rescue.

Exactly. I don’t think he realizes how off putting it truly is. Any time JH is mentioned, he jumps in like he’s the authority and spokesperson for her and creates these fake arguments where he “defends” her.

I bet Jordan will play where her coach deems she will have the most impact. Will that be at PG? Maybe, maybe not. Regardless of what position she plays, I think JH will be great and have a great attitude. She seems to be a good teammate. Like her a lot.

I bet Jordan will play where her coach deems she will have the most impact. Will that be at PG? Maybe, maybe not. Regardless of what position she plays, I think JH will be great and have a great attitude. She seems to be a good teammate. Like her a lot.
Yes. KJH had a very common sense approach to the PG problem, which she definitely acknowledged is a big ongoing concern right now. All options on table, whatever works out best is what will happen. Turnovers must go down.

By all means, play JH where she has the best chance to develop her obvious talent. If that's possible of course, given current roster needs. I would absolutely love to see a highly regarded recruit come in here and actually live up to the hype. Remember the last time that happened? Me neither. JH has a very real chance to break the jinx and I really hope it happens. Could be a major turning point for the program to show actual development. Wouldn't hurt to see a little of that from Rae either. We haven't talked much about her.

Still need another good PG.

Exactly. I don’t think he realizes how off putting it truly is. Any time JH is mentioned, he jumps in like he’s the authority and spokesperson for her and creates these fake arguments where he “defends” her.

376, you sit behind me, did not introduce yourself and later post you know who I am,,,That defined you as one I can't trust and have absolutely NO respect for.

Yes. KJH had a very common sense approach to the PG problem, which she definitely acknowledged is a big ongoing concern right now. All options on table, whatever works out best is what will happen. Turnovers must go down.

By all means, play JH where she has the best chance to develop her obvious talent. If that's possible of course, given current roster needs. I would absolutely love to see a highly regarded recruit come in here and actually live up to the hype. Remember the last time that happened? Me neither. JH has a very real chance to break the jinx and I really hope it happens. Could be a major turning point for the program to show actual development. Wouldn't hurt to see a little of that from Rae either. We haven't talked much about her.

Still need another good PG.

No argument there, I think getting a backup PG is needed

It’s all about the talent level of the transfer.

There aren’t many Destiny Slocums out there.

Not necessarily. A star would be nice, but any veteran with starting experience would be greatly helpful. Kellie really just needs someone who can stabilize the offense by bringing the ball up, reading defenses, making good crisp post feeds, and take care of the ball. With Davis, Horston, Burrell, and Key there is enough firepower in the lineup she wouldn't have carry much of the scoring load, but if she could hit an open jump shot reliably enough just to be a threat (Massengill's biggest weakness) that would be ideal...

Other than her assist to turnover ratio Massengill brought very little to the floor. She was a 28 percent three point shooter and under 40 percent overall.

As opposed to Jordan who was a 30 percent three point shooter, and under 40 percent overall...

She was recruited the number 2 recruited player in the entire country. She went through some freshman growth. She's going into his sophomore year. Get off her back. Damn dippy

Please CJ I thought I was just stating fact... tell you what I will not state opinion any longer..... thin skin here I think..... you have head coach and then point guard.... big girls important.... but it is all generated from the PG position.... if you seek excellence..... we can have Jordan as point guard.... that is fine.... but I do not expect her to blossom at this position..... you will not see me with critical comments from here on in..... everything is GREAT..... I am like you former coach and a home fan..... many though want this to be a rah rah site.... and that is ok

Reactions: T_Vol376
Please CJ I thought I was just stating fact... tell you what I will not state opinion any longer..... thin skin here I think..... you have head coach and then point guard.... big girls important.... but it is all generated from the PG position.... if you seek excellence..... we can have Jordan as point guard.... that is fine.... but I do not expect her to blossom at this position..... you will not see me with critical comments from here on in..... everything is GREAT..... I am like you former coach and a home fan..... many though want this to be a rah rah site.... and that is ok

My skin is only thin in this subject because Jordan has not had the chance to show the maturity that Jaz experienced. I have no doubt she will have a much better ratio, in fact I think she will end up as one of the all-time greats at Tennessee.

It's not so much you, LV,,,it is the constant barrage from Darth and co. that has gotten to me. They know she can do nothing to shut them up so they keep pushing the same argument and I know that a few of the players and their families follow this site from a distance bc they have mentioned things said here on twitter or FB,

I know you are a true LV fan. I have read your posts and am proud to call you a fan.

I do not believe that some posters here are fans at all and are here only to troll and cause trouble,
YOU are NOT one of them.! So sorry to make you feel that way.

@LasVegasBill23 Please accept my deepest apology.
Sincerely, Coach J

Not necessarily. A star would be nice, but any veteran with starting experience would be greatly helpful. Kellie really just needs someone who can stabilize the offense by bringing the ball up, reading defenses, making good crisp post feeds, and take care of the ball. With Davis, Horston, Burrell, and Key there is enough firepower in the lineup she wouldn't have carry much of the scoring load, but if she could hit an open jump shot reliably enough just to be a threat (Massengill's biggest weakness) that would be ideal...
I don’t follow the transfer portal that closely. Is there a player or players out there that is a veteran with starting experience available?

How can we have Jordan there with little ball control.... if we are to be top echelon team we need solid rock player on top distributing ball and running plays.

I believe the majority hopes she develops and is a better player who makes better decisions. She is a great talent. Jordan may be the best PG in history by the time she leaves....at least we hope so.

As opposed to Jordan who was a 30 percent three point shooter, and under 40 percent overall...
True but she was a freshman versus a sophomore which does usually mean something in development. Massengill was terrible as a freshman much better last season. Horston has a better freshman season than Massengill did. We have to wait and see if Horston improves over her freshman season. If she isn't a 45 percent shooter and over 70 from the free throw line then were again will be terrible at the point guard position.

If she isn't a 45 percent shooter and over 70 from the free throw line then were again will be terrible at the point guard position.
Bigger IF to me is if she can slow down the t.o.s. while being the primary handler. And she very well might, we all hope and pray she does. But all the IFs are exactly why we need a very reliable, ready to play PG.

The only issue with Horston last year was the turnovers. I thought she was very good except for those. The problem this year may be practice time available with teammates. I think with enough practice time and becoming familiar with teammates, she should improve in the turnover department. From the flashes I have seen, she COULD be among the best ever to suit up in orange. She has the potential. Does she have that overwhelming desire to do what it takes to excel? We shall see.

The only issue with Horston last year was the turnovers. I thought she was very good except for those. The problem this year may be practice time available with teammates. I think with enough practice time and becoming familiar with teammates, she should improve in the turnover department. From the flashes I have seen, she COULD be among the best ever to suit up in orange. She has the potential. Does she have that overwhelming desire to do what it takes to excel? We shall see.

She’s a hoss for sure. I believe she’ll just get better and better.

The Knights Who Say "Ni!".

Just a small shrubbery.

I'm in the process of recruiting a backup poster for when I need a nap. Struck out with the transfer portal so far, though.

My dream for Jessie is that she would study John Stockton and become the pesky defender that opponents hate to face. Anticipate passes, fight over screens, set hard picks, take charges, don't back down regardless of size, thread the needle, find the seams and hit the clutch shot. Maximize what you can do and what more talented, selfish players refuse to do.

Bigger IF to me is if she can slow down the t.o.s. while being the primary handler. And she very well might, we all hope and pray she does. But all the IFs are exactly why we need a very reliable, ready to play PG.

What gives me hope is Jazmines growth from freshman to sophomore year and that transition in general. I totally agree that we need another pg to play along side Jordan and she can continue to learn from but if the concern is a reliable ready to go pg to play what do you do the following year if Jordan’s time and experience at that spot is reduced or eliminated. I think playing along side another pg won’t hurt at all because she could be a combo guard who scores and facilitates. Diana Taurasi ( not comparing their abilities but their roles) filled this role at UConn with no true pg. I can’t really think of a UT player that has filled that role, maybe Catch, because she often had the ball in her hands and could pass but did better with PGs that passed the rock solidly.

She comes with a lot of ifs that will be answered quite quickly once we play again. Very seldom do you not see improvement from a freshman to a sophomore and of course we must have it from her or again point guard will be a problem position.

What gives me hope is Jazmines growth from freshman to sophomore year and that transition in general. I totally agree that we need another pg to play along side Jordan and she can continue to learn from but if the concern is a reliable ready to go pg to play what do you do the following year if Jordan’s time and experience at that spot is reduced or eliminated. I think playing along side another pg won’t hurt at all because she could be a combo guard who scores and facilitates. Diana Taurasi ( not comparing their abilities but their roles) filled this role at UConn with no true pg. I can’t really think of a UT player that has filled that role, maybe Catch, because she often had the ball in her hands and could pass but did better with PGs that passed the rock solidly.

Tennessee has had a lot of those pairings that I can think of. Kara Lawson/Loree Moore, Alexis Hornbuckle/Shannon Bobbitt, Ariel Massengale/Jordan Reynolds, Diamond DeShields/Reynolds, Horston/Jaz Massengill.

Tennessee has had a lot of those pairings that I can think of. Kara Lawson/Loree Moore, Alexis Hornbuckle/Shannon Bobbitt, Ariel Massengale/Jordan Reynolds, Diamond DeShields/Reynolds, Horston/Jaz Massengill.

Very true. I just couldn’t think of any with the impact or DT.

VN Store

Back