Is signing a PG a must?

I have a lot of hope that we can find an eligible player for the point guard position to backup Horston. This is a key factor for the next team. The ideal player would be a deadly three point shooter and ball handler. The big thing we lost with Jasmine was her assist to turnover ratio with was awesome. If we could find a player that could score more we become a much better team. That position was weak in scoring efficiency and the free throw shooting is not what was needed for that position.

Reactions: Prophet1
“Is signing a PG a must?”

I fear it’s a must if we want to see a marked improvement in the overall W-L record this coming season.

Obviously we’ll have enough players on the roster who could, by committee, play the position and keep us competitive in half of the games they’ll play. It’s the other half of the games that has me concerned.

I think Jordan needs a more experienced guard to be out there with her for the Lady Vols to kick it up a noticeable notch, especially now that the pandemic has made it highly unlikely that the staff will have access to players in such a way that there can be any of that magical “training up” of kids not accustomed to playing the position to play it.

This is NOT the season for the coaches’ jobs to have to include teaching a player who’s never played point guard, how to play point guard. There likely won’t be the amount of time or in-person access to create any magical transformations. I hope I’m wrong.

Is there anyone on the team or currently incoming that has PG experience?
JMO if we don't find someone that is experienced at this position were going to be in trouble to some extent at this position. All three incoming freshmen are good ball handlers and also can pass and shoot, but none were specifically point guards on their team last season. You really don't want a player that spent their entire high school career playing a different position to suddenly be your backup point guard. To add what if an injury occurs to your starter then you depending on players that are freshmen and also lacking crucial experience at that particular position. I think if we don't get another player it will be Horston and probably Salary or Darby backing up. I think if I were coach of the Lady Vols I would be looking far and wide for an experienced player for the point guard position. This was one of our worst positions on the team last season as far as offensive efficiency and free throw shooting. We did fairly well with turnover to assist ratio, but most of that was more Massengill than Horston. Of course it is imperative for Horston to be tremendously improved and even with that looks really scary to me if we don't get another player and not just any player an experienced one that is very talented. I would say that not finding anyone could mean as much as five more losses for the team. I think finding the right player could reverse that and mean as much as five more wins. We were ready to go with Massengill and Green as our two backups points and now they are both gone. We need help at this position more than any other.

We were ready to go with Massengill and Green as our two backups points and now they are both gone. We need help at this position more than any other.

Massengill started 30 out of 31 games at point guard and had the second most minutes on the team. Did I miss where she was relegated to backup point guard to Horston? If so, no wonder she left.

No, not a troll comment. Just asking.

Massengill started 30 out of 31 games at point guard and had the second most minutes on the team. Did I miss where she was relegated to backup point guard to Horston? If so, no wonder she left.

No, not a troll comment. Just asking.
Their minutes were about equal last year and yes I think she would've been the backup this season or at least playing less minutes because I believe Horston is ready to take on much more of the playing time. She is gone now so no way we'll ever know. The major point is that we lost a lot when we lost both Massengill and Green and I don't see anyone coming in to replace what they would've given the team. If we can't find some effective help the position looks like a problem unless we get some magical play from a freshman which I don't see happening.

Their minutes were about equal last year and yes I think she would've been the backup this season or at least playing less minutes because I believe Horston is ready to take on much more of the playing time. She is gone now so no way we'll ever know. The major point is that we lost a lot when we lost both Massengill and Green and I don't see anyone coming in to replace what they would've given the team. If we can't find some effective help the position looks like a problem unless we get some magical play from a freshman which I don't see happening.
That just doesn't make sense to me.

Massengill played 28.5 mpg at strictly point guard. That left 11.5 mpg left to fill that PG time. Was that all Horston? I think so.

Since Massengill plays only strictly point guard, even if she dropped to 20 mpg, Horston would only be splitting that position. Are you saying Massengill would play even less than 20 minutes?

It's all water under the bridge now so it really doesn't matter. Just something interesting to talk about.

Head out to enjoy the 75 degrees and sunny with a nice round of golf. I hope!!!

That just doesn't make sense to me.

Massengill played 28.5 mpg at strictly point guard. That left 11.5 mpg left to fill that PG time. Was that all Horston? I think so.

Since Massengill plays only strictly point guard, even if she dropped to 20 mpg, Horston would only be splitting that position. Are you saying Massengill would play even less than 20 minutes?

It's all water under the bridge now so it really doesn't matter. Just something interesting to talk about.

Head out to enjoy the 75 degrees and sunny with a nice round of golf. I hope!!!
I know Horston is going to play a lot more so somebody would've been playing less. If Horston had been playing efficient ball as a freshman she would've played a lot more last season. Massengill is steady but not a scoring threat so she played a lot last season out of necessity because at least she wasn't turning it over. This season that 28.5 would've been more like 18 to 20 if Horston has improved at all and of course the influx of three freshman perimeter players. Massengill getting 28.5 this season is just something that was not going to happen.

Reactions: krichunaka
Plenty of question that Massengill would've remained the starting point guard. Horston a far more talented player coming in a lot better as a sophomore could easily take the job. Regardless the 28 minutes she got per game was out of necessity and the same reason Horston got 26 a game we were short on guards. Three players coming in no way she was going to play more than 18 to 20 because Horston wasn't going to lose any minutes and the staff wasn't benching without playing any of Darby, Salary, Renee, or Suarez. almost certain that they would get at least 5 minutes each. Davis would still be at thirty and Burrell 25 so that leaves 65 minutes for five players. Massengill was a steady player for her offensively she was not that much help and she would've lost minutes to players that could score.

How can we have Jordan there with little ball control.... if we are to be top echelon team we need solid rock player on top distributing ball and running plays.

How can we have Jordan there with little ball control.... if we are to be top echelon team we need solid rock player on top distributing ball and running plays.

She was recruited the number 2 recruited player in the entire country. She went through some freshman growth. She's going into his sophomore year. Get off her back. Damn dippy

Last edited:

Necessity is the mother of all invention. Sometimes when you have no other choice the greatest things happen.

Did she improve in her assist/to as the season progressed?

She was #2 on the team in this stat, thank you!

On our team, she was:
#1 in assists per game
#1 in steals per game
#3 in minutes
#2 in FG's made
#2 in shots taken
#2 in made 3pt'ers
#4 in 3pt %
#3 in scoring for the season
#2 in Def rebounds
#3 in ttl rebounds
#1 in turnovers pg
#2 in assists to turnover ratio
#2 in blocked shots

You key in on "1" stat
and
I will key in on the other 12!

And BTW this is all I have to say to you on this matter because if you were introduced to a rock,,,
you would argue it was a stone

Reactions: Real Info
She was #2 on the team in this stat, thank you!

On our team, she was:
#1 in assists per game
#1 in steals per game
#3 in minutes
#2 in FG's made
#2 in shots taken
#2 in made 3pt'ers
#4 in 3pt %
#3 in scoring for the season
#2 in Def rebounds
#3 in ttl rebounds
#1 in turnovers pg
#2 in assists to turnover ratio
#2 in blocked shots

You key in on "1" stat
and
I will key in on the other 12!

And BTW this is all I have to say to you on this matter because if you were introduced to a rock,,,
you would argue it was a stone
Uhhh, a yes or no would have sufficed.

You didn’t answer my question.

No. Despite getting benched...
I just don't get it. It was a reasonable question and I not only got an answer that didn't answer my question, he threw an insult at me.

If Horston is going to play 25-30 minutes each game, the big stat that she needs to improve is her turnovers. If you don't think that is the case, you have your head in the sand.

The good news is she can be a dynamic passer when she is on. No doubt about it. But that stick of dynamite blew up too many times. That has to change.

I just looked up her stats. I guess I should have done that first so I wouldn't have to ask.

no way she (Jaz) was going to play more than 18 to 20 because Horston wasn't going to lose any minutes
Wait, who lost minutes last year? Here's who would have lost mins this year: whichever one wasn't getting the job done. Fortunately, KJH does not appear to be as delusional as some fans and recognizes when the bench is a better option based on performance. Just like she did last season. Competition would have been fierce, for sure, with Zaay and Rae also in the mix. But I thought that competition could benefit them all. Wasn't to be
You didn’t answer my question.
Nor mine. Which was: what part of Jordan's game makes you even want her to play point? Must she have the ball in her hand every second? I want her to score, and I believe she can do that, showed encouraging improvement in that area late last season. Can't she do that better without the burden of ball handling? I also think she's a better than average rebounder, another skill playing off guard would enhance.
The good news is she can be a dynamic passer when she is on. No doubt about it. But that stick of dynamite blew up too many times. That has to change.
Exactly. Call me old fashioned. I want steady at PG and I get nervous every time I hear the word dynamic thrown around. I'll keep saying it, I do not want to have to outscore our t.o.s next year. Let me quickly add, JH is most welcome to improve her handle big time this offseason and I'll binge on crow and be happy about it. But it's certainly not unreasonable to worry about it.
Necessity is the mother of all invention. Sometimes when you have no other choice the greatest things happen.
Great summary of what KJH said about the point guard situation in her recent interview. JH is one of several options, but clearly not THE option. Maybe the competition will be good for her and I'm sure she's working hard to earn the spot, if that's even what she wants. And do we know that? Has she ever said she wanted to play PG? Maybe she feels she would be taking one for the team if she plays PG. Probably agrees with me she'd be much better at 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darth_Vol
Jordan Horston is the PG and no matter how many times you 3 post the same thing, she will be the PG
But why? I'm seriously asking. Again. Why do you think JH should be the PG? Does she want to be the PG? Why does KJH not agree its a slam dunk but instead calls it an option? Why make a casual discussion about what the best position for a random player is into a personal crusade?

Reactions: T_Vol376

VN Store

Back