Is signing a PG a must?

Kellie is also recruiting players with solid fundamentals: dribble, shoot, pass, footwork. She’s bringing in players with good hands who can play up-tempo. They don’t need to be flashy or 5 star. Even 5 stars aren’t ready for college and it takes at least a first season to coach them into college ball. If a player can handle the ball well, okay team and defense, coachable, smart, and has a shot, Kellie and staff can coach that player into a terrific player. Recruiting does not equal bring in only 5 stars. We’ve seen that fail. Recruiting is bringing in the right players who are pieces of the puzzle. Kellie’s doing that.

Kellie is also recruiting players with solid fundamentals: dribble, shoot, pass, footwork. She’s bringing in players with good hands who can play up-tempo. They don’t need to be flashy or 5 star. Even 5 stars aren’t ready for college and it takes at least a first season to coach them into college ball. If a player can handle the ball well, okay team and defense, coachable, smart, and has a shot, Kellie and staff can coach that player into a terrific player. Recruiting does not equal bring in only 5 stars. We’ve seen that fail. Recruiting is bringing in the right players who are pieces of the puzzle. Kellie’s doing that.
Typo. Not “okay,” but “ play for team and defense”

Yes she is looking at Brooklynn Miles andMoMo wiggins...both great ball handlers. Especially Brooklynn

And a doctor is not a doctor unless operating
get real!

and who says I'm not
I am real. Not all doctors are surgeons so...……….. I could call myself a crew chief and pretend to give advice in the Motorsports forum to NASCAR crew chiefs but just because I was on a highly successful dirt track car team that won several track championships in the early 80's doesn't make me a crew chief. A person just can't claim to be something and wish it into existence. I am not saying you don't know basketball. You do, but I have a definition for a coach and you haven't met that criteria yet.

I am real. Not all doctors are surgeons so...……….. I could call myself a crew chief and pretend to give advice in the Motorsports forum to NASCAR crew chiefs but just because I was on a highly successful dirt track car team that won several track championships in the early 80's doesn't make me a crew chief. A person just can't claim to be something and wish it into existence. I am not saying you don't know basketball. You do, but I have a definition for a coach and you haven't met that criteria yet.
200.gif

LOL I've ignored that assertion the last half dozen or so times I've seen it, mostly bc its so irrational. What we have is a dynamic of absolutes, where a certain player is chosen by certain posters and thereafter can never do anything wrong nor be noted for any mistake without righteous indignation and deflection. Then comes victimization, the player is being unfairly beat up on and probably being run away from the program. No actual, unbiased analysis of that chosen player is possible in that world.
Same was said about Diamond...then Evina...now Jordan. Probably some truth to it, but namely that coaching never got the players on the same page wrt to offense, and a lot of those passes were not expected by the receiving player. When this goes in for 5 years, the pattern won't be broken by a singular player.

Also players and parents and recruits read this site.
I KNOW this to be true

Yes, I wish they didn't, as people on here think they don't ,,, but they do.

In my years on here I have evidence firsthand that all three follow this site
NOT ALL Of the players, parents and recruits, but some do.
And once they tune in, it becomes a compulsion to watch it

I never watch soap operas, ever.
Yet, while I was in the Army, the "Luke and Laura" story in General Hospital was on daily in the CQ lounge.
The people in CQ (Charge of Quarters) started watching it and the following grew.
It became "mandatory tv"
I had CQ duty and since it was on tv, I got caught up in it too
I watched that stupid program for the 18 months I was in NAS(Naval Air Station)-Pensacola.
To this day, I wonder why

Because it was on, there was nothing else holding my attention, other people were discussing it and I tuned in.
I believe the same thing happens to parents, players and recruits.
They learn of it and see it and get drawn in.
VolNation is on, people discuss it and there not much else to do right now.
Luke and Laura? LMAO.
I watched also from the rape to the wedding and beyond. Besides suppertime , it was the only time everyone sat down together.
LMAO. Luke and Laura. Really Coach ?
Thanks for the memories.

Reactions: krichunaka
Same was said about Diamond...then Evina...now Jordan. Probably some truth to it, but namely that coaching never got the players on the same page wrt to offense, and a lot of those passes were not expected by the receiving player. When this goes in for 5 years, the pattern won't be broken by a singular player.

A coach can break it..."play with your head out of the game, sit until your head gets into the game"
I look at both things
make silly passes or play like you're head is somewhere else, sit until you get back

Coach K did this last year in playing Rae for Jordan and it worked.
It was a Pat Summitt move
No one is bigger than the team
I just hope that Coach K stays with this course and takes control of the players bc the players definitely had control of the prior coach

Yes Yes Yes. This.

Luke and Laura? LMAO.
I watched also from the rape to the wedding and beyond. Besides suppertime , it was the only time everyone sat down together.
LMAO. Luke and Laura. Really Coach ?
Thanks for the memories.

Seriously...lost on the island,,to,,Serpico/Scorpio or whatever his name was (or something to that nature)
The CQ room went from a few on the couch to more than 20 grown soldiers watching that soap sitting on the floor and literally watching that nonsense,,,Shisshhing anyone who talked

sorry, we're getting off topic...
next page

watch the games again
I never said all and even referenced that I felt it to be about 1/4 of her TO's being drops or missed-movement reads
Both of which can be lowered with familiarity

I disagreed with a specific statement you made here and in a few other posts.

”Her turnovers were for the most part passes that were not caught bc they weren't expected”

Your words. Not made up.

Do you understand the difference between ”for the MOST part“ and “1/4”?

Reactions: T_Vol376
But can it be broken by a singular coach? In one season and one offseason? That is the question and I really truly hope the answer is yes. JH has a chance to be the first to avoid the sad path of under development that has dogged the program, espec at PG. Not an insult at all to consider her a work in progress.
A coach can break it..."play with your head out of the game, sit until your head gets into the game"
I look at both things
make silly passes or play like you're head is somewhere else, sit until you get back

Coach K did this last year in playing Rae for Jordan and it worked.
It took a while, but by the last few games it did seem to be working. Which is exactly why this option should be kept open for JH this year. So a solid alternate PG is a must to have freedom if heaven forbid, it becomes necessary.
Also players and parents and recruits read this site.
I KNOW this to be true
Then TELL the players to stop wasting time and go do a ballhandling drill and remind the parents that he who fishes for insults usually catches them.
Good grief, i said both 25% and most...so shoot me
get a life
Such a reflection of our societal times! Never mind that video exists of me saying exactly the thing I am now denying saying. Or being "sarcastic" about. Facts? Meh . . .
I get one poster off of my butt and another one latches on I feel like a shark with a bunch of parasitic sucker-fish
images
And its always the parasite's fault? See a pattern? I'm reminded of an interview with Gregg Allman just before his death. Going thru his 6th divorce, Greg said earnestly, "I'm beginning to think it might be me."
Seriously...lost on the island,,to,,Serpico/Scorpio or whatever his name was (or something to that nature)
The CQ room went from a few on the couch to more than 20 grown soldiers watching that soap sitting on the floor and literally watching that nonsense,,,Shisshhing anyone who talked

sorry, we're getting off topic...
next page
In our 80s breakroom it was Days of Our Lives. Stephano DiMerra, the serial kidnapper. Bo and Hope, The Mystery Cruise. My personal fave villian on Days was Victor, who is Jennifer Anistons Day. Also watched a little All My Children, villian supreme in the debonair Adam Chandler.

Coach, in a perfect world....
ChillyTepidCollardlizard-size_restricted.gif

I had a girlfriend that talked continuously about that show....
gh-luke-laura-wedding-abc-getty.jpg

Not all, but some of Jordan's turnovers were the sudden, unexpected quick pass, on her drives to the basket...
9626537.JPG

Reactions: Prophet1

In answer to your question/perplexity/query/insinuation/whatever...
I am presently working with an athlete.

Further, my next coaching challenge will be highly scrutinized so I am waiting for or/and working for a significant opportunity. I am in view by media, staff, players, prospects and social media so i have to wait for or create an opportunity worth pursuing. Presently I am talking with a potential backer about starting an elite girls BB program from scratch that directly targets underprivileged and financially challenged area basketball players. I am working to get financial backing for this endeavor as I cannot finance it myself at the speed in which it will move. I see several semi-high profile programs in this area, but the cost is too great for many of Knoxville's financially challenged BB potentials. I want to take a startup team and within two years take them on the road to exposure events. If I am unable to summer coach lady vol players, this would be a viable option. I am 60, in excellent health, but too old to go the normal ten year route it takes to get to this level of visibility in a new town.

I hope this helps you understand why I am not jumping into just any coaching situation.

But can it be broken by a singular coach? In one season and one offseason? That is the question and I really truly hope the answer is yes. JH has a chance to be the first to avoid the sad path of under development that has dogged the program, espec at PG. Not an insult at all to consider her a work in progress.

A singular coach, yes...maybe not in the course of one season, though. It's been a long standing problem for years, and it will get fixed when Kellie can implement some rhythm to the offense.

And its always the parasite's fault? See a pattern? I'm reminded of an interview with Gregg Allman just before his death. Going thru his 6th divorce, Greg said earnestly, "I'm beginning to think it might be me."

Reminds me of...201407_0725_bdgcd.jpg

In answer to your question/perplexity/query/insinuation/whatever...
I am presently working with an athlete.

Further, my next coaching challenge will be highly scrutinized so I am waiting for or/and working for a significant opportunity. I am in view by media, staff, players, prospects and social media so i have to wait for or create an opportunity worth pursuing. Presently I am talking with a potential backer about starting an elite girls BB program from scratch that directly targets underprivileged and financially challenged area basketball players. I am working to get financial backing for this endeavor as I cannot finance it myself at the speed in which it will move. I see several semi-high profile programs in this area, but the cost is too great for many of Knoxville's financially challenged BB potentials. I want to take a startup team and within two years take them on the road to exposure events. If I am unable to summer coach lady vol players, this would be a viable option. I am 60, in excellent health, but too old to go the normal ten year route it takes to get to this level of visibility in a new town.

I hope this helps you understand why I am not jumping into just any coaching situation.
I have never said you didn't know basketball. I don't care who you are presently working with. I think you are probably a good person and would be interesting to watch a game with you, but like I said, you don't meet MY criteria to be called a coach. It's simple really. Other people may consider what being a coach is by a different set of criteria. I could call myself a professional photographer because I have been Photographer of The Year in different organizations 6 times when I competed. I don't consider myself as a pro since I choose not to make my living that way. My photographic work is pro quality work but I'm not a pro. See the difference? That is just how I view things.

I have never said you didn't know basketball. I don't care who you are presently working with. I think you are probably a good person and would be interesting to watch a game with you, but like I said, you don't meet MY criteria to be called a coach. It's simple really. Other people may consider what being a coach is by a different set of criteria. I could call myself a professional photographer because I have been Photographer of The Year in different organizations 6 times when I competed. I don't consider myself as a pro since I choose not to make my living that way. My photographic work is pro quality work but I'm not a pro. See the difference? That is just how I view things.
we agree to disagree
that is healthy!.

Diamond quit on us , Evina quit on us , but Jordan loves this broken down program (...) more than you and I , and she's not about to quit us.
That's more important than skill , talent or whatever mojo players have... LOYALTY.
Chef RD , Sugar Rae and J25 have this and they love us .
It's not the in season or on court , it's the off season
that hurt this program.

Diamond quit on us , Evina quit on us , but Jordan loves this broken down program (...) more than you and I , and she's not about to quit us.
That's more important than skill , talent or whatever mojo players have... LOYALTY.
Chef RD , Sugar Rae and J25 have this and they love us .
It's not the in season or on court , it's the off season
that hurt this program.

Agree with their motive, they came to rebuild UT to its once lofty stature,
but disagree with broken down.

Holly hobbled our thoroughbreds but they are still thoroughbreds.
Coach K just has to saw through the shackles and teach them how to run again

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

It took a while, but by the last few games it did seem to be working. Which is exactly why this option should be kept open for JH this year. So a solid alternate PG is a must to have freedom if heaven forbid, it becomes necessary.

Then TELL the players to stop wasting time and go do a ballhandling drill and remind the parents that he who fishes for insults usually catches them.

Such a reflection of our societal times! Never mind that video exists of me saying exactly the thing I am now denying saying. Or being "sarcastic" about. Facts? Meh . . .

In our 80s breakroom it was Days of Our Lives. Stephano DiMerra, the serial kidnapper. Bo and Hope, The Mystery Cruise. My personal fave villian on Days was Victor, who is Jennifer Anistons Day. Also watched a little All My Children, villian supreme in the debonair Adam Chandler.
OMG , GLV..... Days of our lives .LMAO.
Damn , the things we have in common. STEPHANO. Never die STEPHANO haunted Days of our Lives
like Darth Vol and Gule haunt this forum ( all in humor).
You guys take the sting out of CoVid19. Thank you.

Reactions: T_Vol376 and glv98
The long standing puzzle of the LV offense, as we've defined it, is very unlikely to be solved by the lineup as we see it evolving right now. An efficient half court offense based on movement and passing with a high number of assisted baskets is not going to happen with a core of 3 players with games based on creating their own shots and lots of one on one. The hope has to be the one on one guys (the "wild ponies") get a favorable enough defensive matchup to outscore our continued inefficiency. I'm sure the ponies will be able to do this against lesser competition but the concern is doing it against the better defensive teams. Especially without a good halfcourt offense to fall back on.

Worrisome to me is that absent some major off season improvement, we still lack a consistent outside shooter and a reliable handle against full court pressure. We also have not yet upgraded quickness on the perimeter, an issue often identified as a big need last season on both offense and defense. I look for lots of backcourt ball pressure and lots of zone defense against us.

You may be correct that the traditional pg as defined floor leader, high efficiency assist to t.o. guy looking to pass more than score is obsolete offense, and that appears to be KJH approach as well, whether by design or default. Sure hope she's right and that we have the personnel to pull it off.

First, glv98, hopefully things at work are improving as the days/weeks pass; I've thought about you (and, of course, all such professionals) a lot recently. God Bless You!

Second: WOW! What a refreshing - BASKETBALL - thread! Many of you - Volfan2012, T.J., Jumper, Madtown, and others ...great effort! And, ALL about BASKETBALL!

I think I agree with all of you; and in fact, I think we all agree, to a "point." We all want the same thing here.
I'm a Jordan Horston fan. She is magnificent player. Jumper is likely correct that her freshman-to-sophomore jump (no pun) will amaze us; there's too much talent and determination in that Lady Vol to expect otherwise.
I'm excited (always have been) to watch Rae Burrell. I think her confidence will increase to the point that she sees the court better, becomes a more consistent player. All-American? Could be. She's awfully talented.
While I still expect a point guard addition, it wouldn't be overly surprising to see Tess, Destiny, Marta, and yes, my girl Jessie play the point. To put it another way, Coach Kellie will have more motion in our offense as we move forward, which will inherently have different players assuming bigger roles at different places on the court. For instance, Jordan passes the ball, races to the low post (against the five-five defender) and Bob's your uncle. We will have more players who can hit shots from several places on the court; (OMO, but) Motion will create opportunities for this more-diverse type of attack. When you (as a team, and individually) can hit shots from a variety of positions/locations, the emphasis is shifted more to getting a player a shot, with less concern of who that player is.
Our team - Coach Kellie's vision - is coming into focus. It will not necessarily be of the quick-fix variety, but it will be beautiful to behold!
Yep, had a lotta good, strong coffee this morning!
Cheers!

First, glv98, hopefully things at work are improving as the days/weeks pass; I've thought about you (and, of course, all such professionals) a lot recently. God Bless You!

Second: WOW! What a refreshing - BASKETBALL - thread! Many of you - Volfan2012, T.J., Jumper, Madtown, and others ...great effort! And, ALL about BASKETBALL!

I think I agree with all of you; and in fact, I think we all agree, to a "point." We all want the same thing here.
I'm a Jordan Horston fan. She is magnificent player. Jumper is likely correct that her freshman-to-sophomore jump (no pun) will amaze us; there's too much talent and determination in that Lady Vol to expect otherwise.
I'm excited (always have been) to watch Rae Burrell. I think her confidence will increase to the point that she sees the court better, becomes a more consistent player. All-American? Could be. She's awfully talented.
While I still expect a point guard addition, it wouldn't be overly surprising to see Tess, Destiny, Marta, and yes, my girl Jessie play the point. To put it another way, Coach Kellie will have more motion in our offense as we move forward, which will inherently have different players assuming bigger roles at different places on the court. For instance, Jordan passes the ball, races to the low post (against the five-five defender) and Bob's your uncle. We will have more players who can hit shots from several places on the court; (OMO, but) Motion will create opportunities for this more-diverse type of attack. When you (as a team, and individually) can hit shots from a variety of positions/locations, the emphasis is shifted more to getting a player a shot, with less concern of who that player is.
Our team - Coach Kellie's vision - is coming into focus. It will not necessarily be of the quick-fix variety, but it will be beautiful to behold!
Yep, had a lotta good, strong coffee this morning!
Cheers!
Damn Skippy. How did you get in my head K.

If this team had [insert name of whomever you regard as the best PG to ever play the game] as PG next season, Kellie would STILL need to get a good backup PG. I believe Horston will have a terrific sophomore year, but she still needs a backup. Foul trouble, injuries and illness happen, so there’d better always be a backup plan (or planS) at every position.

Our staff is working hard for the program’s future. I trust them to get it done.

Reactions: glv98
agree and I see who they're working to acquire in 2021, but I also hope they go out and get a SR transfer PG for one year for this year to back her up and like you say, for unexpected turns

VN Store

Back