Is signing a PG a must?

I never said she wasn’t the point guard. Who else could it be on the current roster.
In her recent interview, KJH listed "going with what we have" as an option, along with getting a transfer and playing pg by committee. Which surprised me. Still its reasonable to believe, given the current roster, that JH will be penciled in at PG when practice starts.

But why? I'm seriously asking. Again. Why do you think JH should be the PG? Does she want to be the PG? Why does KJH not agree its a slam dunk but instead calls it an option? Why make a casual discussion about what the best position for a random player is into a personal crusade?

I don't think there's much of an option. None of the returning or incoming players would do a better job, so it's Jordan's out of necessity. Even the portal probably wouldn't produce a better option. I think if Jaz hadn't transferred, it would have been similar to last year with Jaz as the primary PG and Jordan splitting time at both guard spots, but since she's gone, the job goes to Jordan full-time.

I don't think there's much of an option. None of the returning or incoming players would do a better job, so it's Jordan's out of necessity. Even the portal probably wouldn't produce a better option. I think if Jaz hadn't transferred, it would have been similar to last year with Jaz as the primary PG and Jordan splitting time at both guard spots, but since she's gone, the job goes to Jordan full-time.
Totally agree. Tennessee desperately need Horston to improve her assist to turnover ratio Because she will be the major player at the point.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
But why? I'm seriously asking. Again. Why do you think JH should be the PG? Does she want to be the PG? Why does KJH not agree its a slam dunk but instead calls it an option? Why make a casual discussion about what the best position for a random player is into a personal crusade?

Because the same thing was said about Jaz last year and look at what she did.
Also I believe in that girl.
I truly, as a coach, would feel secure with her at the helm
She, in her Freshman year was asked to carry 26 minutes per game, when most freshmen are lucky to get 7-10

I was AT games, not on tv, AT games.
At all but one home game!

I saw Jaz running halfheartedly after plays while the others run full sprints.
Coach K saw what I saw
You can't see what I saw on tv and internet broadcasts...you can't see her actions after the play bc the camera follows the ball.

I am a coach, glv and one that is impossibly hard to impress.
And everyone on this board knows that I shoot from the hip, so if I was in any way fearful of Jordan running this show, I'd be the FIRST to say it.

Sit back and watch, g
People look at her 6'2" frame and say no way she can be a great PG bc she's not 5'8 or 5'10...They said the same thing about Magic Johnson,,,no way he play play point at 6'8",,,but he did and he is one of the 50 greatest players ever to play NBA

Right. I think we all agree JH is most likely going to be the PG. The necessity part is the sticking point. Some think that's an insult because JH was preordained to the position which Jaz cruelly kept her from last year.

Seriously, I'm interested in why some think JH is a more natural PG than an off guard is all. No doubt we all just want her to be the very best player she can be.

Last edited:
Totally agree. Tennessee desperately need Horston to improve her assist to turnover ratio Because she will be the major player at the point.

Freshman become Sophomores,,,there's a reason for this longtime saying

The jump from HS to college is overwhelming, this is why they FreshmenOY's awards
and
Not SophOY's. NOT JrOY's and not SrOY's

It is the HS to Freshman jump that is significant.

Guys, I will never be able to convince you 3-4 about Jordan,
SO I will let you have this thread and let Jordan do the proving
I'm gone,,,c ya

Reactions: mcannon1
Because the same thing was said about Jaz last year and look at what she did.
Also I believe in that girl.
I truly, as a coach, would feel secure with her at the helm
She, in her Freshman year was asked to carry 26 minutes per game, when most freshmen are lucky to get 7-10

I was AT games, not on tv, AT games.
At all but one home game!

Coach K saw what I saw
You can't see what I saw on tv and internet broadcasts...you can't see her actions after the play bc the camera follows the ball.

I am a coach, glv and one that is impossibly hard to impress.
And everyone on this board knows that I shoot from the hip, so if I was in any way fearful of Jordan running this show, I'd be the FIRST to say it.

Sit back and watch, g
People look at her 6'2" frame and say no way she can be a great PG bc she's not 5'8 or 5'10...They said the same thing about Magic Johnson,,,no way he play play point at 6'8",,,but he did and he is one of the 50 greatest players ever to play NBA
I did ask I guess. How did I not know? It's cuz you feel it in your gut, the most brilliant coaching gut in history. Well played, having me beg you to expound on your greatness once again. And I thought we might actually discuss parts of her game and stuff. Silly me.
Coach K saw what I saw
Couldn't quit while you were ahead. KJH saw exactly what the Great One saw last season! And benched who?

Guys, I will never be able to convince you 3-4 about Jordan,
SO I will let you have this thread and let Jordan do the proving
I'm gone,,,c ya
Not letting you misframe it like this again. Convince me of what about Jordan? That she'd be a better PG than an off guard? I've invited you to do this. It's a perfectly valid board discussion and absolutely not a knock on her. Totally opposite, its wanting her to be the best player she can be.

No, people look at her assist/turnover ratio and wonder if she care great point guard.

When did anyone say Earvin Johnson was too tall to play point?

And he was 6’9”, not 6’8”.

Jordan Horston is the PG and no matter how many times you 3 post the same thing, she will be the PG

During last summer’s European Tour I opined that Coach Kellie and staff must be giddy to have Jordan Horston. She is an amazing basketball player, whose game at times screams All-American!

There were times last season when we appeared to lack the ability to get the ball to the right player in the right place at the right time. We were often conservative, and even hesitant. Some of this could have been coach’s prerogative to rest legs or whatever, but still frustrating.

This was not a problem for Jordan. Driving, penetrating, scoring are not concerns, but strengths. She can play on the run as well as anyone we’ve had since forever. She might be our point guard this season. She might become our best-ever point guard.

But, it’s only reasonable to have concerns about that position. After Jordan, we have a trio or four “hopefuls.” With her at point, we have unquestioned talent, but we do have questions about consistent execution.Kellie knows this. It is not a knock on Jordan to suggest that we try (really, really hard) to find a more-experienced point guard.

And, we have to be realistic: If we’re actively recruiting from the portal, surely we understand that such a player expects to start. IOW, if we’re literally recruiting a backup point guard through the portal, we’re likely to be very disappointed.

And, we have to be realistic: If we’re actively recruiting from the portal, surely we understand that such a player expects to start. IOW, if we’re literally recruiting a backup point guard through the portal, we’re likely to be very disappointed.
VnD.gif

I don't know why the prevalent thinking here is that Kellie is scouring the transfer portal for "Jordan's backup." Kellie is looking for a point guard to come in and start...

Massengill starting as point guard over a freshman wasn't unusual. Massengill starting over a more seasoned sophomore was something yet to be determined. No way she is a more talented player than Horston of course it would've been up to Horston to progress over the off season and, JMO and I will continue to stick with it, she would've improved enough to take the starting job from Massengill. We want ever know if that is exactly what would've happened one thing I'm positive of is that the 28 minutes a game that Massengill got last season was going down to 20 this season if she had stayed. She was used so much last season out of necessity and so was Jordan. Neither player was offensively effective and point guard was other than the four position our weakest position on the floor.
Other than her assist to turnover ratio Massengill brought very little to the floor. She was a 28 percent three point shooter and under 40 percent overall. Her average playing 28 minutes 6.5 points per game. Very easy for me to see her be relegated to the backup role this season if Horston comes even close to the improvement usually seem from a player freshman to sophomore. I or no one else knows how it would've played out since she is gone. The one thing I am very confident in saying is that her 28 minutes per game were going down by 8 to 10 a game.

Reactions: Bret178
VnD.gif

I don't know why the prevalent thinking here is that Kellie is scouring the transfer portal for "Jordan's backup." Kellie is looking for a point guard to come in and start...

I blush to even imagine the awkwardness, especially during a “virtual” visit:
“Hey, girl, I realize you were a three year starting point guard at U of XYZ; and we sure do need you to come and provide stopgap minutes while we try to regain footing at the SEC, and even the National level” ...and so on. It just doesn’t work that way. OTOH, freshmen Marta and Destiny would certainly be amenable to such an opportunity to “play immediately.”

Kellie is way too competitive to risk mediocrity or inconsistency this season. We’ve literally lost THREE point guards since the coaching change, and while asking Jordan to lead from the point is, for now, likely our best hope for success, our Coach has to have considered the pros, cons, and heaven forbid, pitfalls. I hate to bring this up (some of you probably already have), but if we have an injury, or even an extended absence due to the virus protocol ...well, perish the thought.

With our current roster, Jordan Horston’s development, consistency, and HEALTH are vital. But can we afford to lose two, three, or more games to an ankle sprain? So, while I’m eager and excited to watch the transfer and three freshmen, Jordan is mature enough to appreciate that the precariousness of it all can hardly be overstated.

VnD.gif

I think she already has two guards who will step in at that position and Jordan is one of them. Expecting a grad transfer or high school PG to come in this fall and handle the team without having any experience in Kellies system is a bit much to ask in my opinion. They will need time to learn where to go on the court and when to be there. It has been done in the past but I expect most coaches would prefer a few months development before putting the team in their hands.

Last edited:
I think she already has two guards who will step in at that position and Jordan is one of them. Expecting a grad transfer or high school PG to come in this fall and handle the team without having any experience in Kellies system is a bit much to ask in my opinion. They will need time to learn where to go on the court and when to be there. It has been done in the past but I expect most coaches would prefer a few months development before putting the team in their hands.
You make a great point (no pun intended). To expect a transfer, even an experienced grad transfer, to be able to run a new to them offense is just not realistic. I’m not even sure if there is a talented enough point guard in the portal to even be a possibility.

Horston is really the only choice to start at point guard at this time. And at the risk of making Jumper’s head explode, Horston has to make big strides in cutting down on her turnovers for Tennessee to have the success we all want them to have.

You make a great point (no pun intended). To expect a transfer, even an experienced grad transfer, to be able to run a new to them offense is just not realistic. I’m not even sure if there is a talented enough point guard in the portal to even be a possibility.

Horston is really the only choice to start at point guard at this time. And at the risk of making Jumper’s head explode, Horston has to make big strides in cutting down on her turnovers for Tennessee to have the success we all want them to have.

I don't disagree with her needing improvement in turnovers, I just want people to wait and see if her game grows before they start hounding her about last year again. I have seen over the years remarkable growth from Freshman to Sophomore, as well, I have seen also the "Sophomore curse" too.

That's all, Bb ;o)

I also expect Destiny Salary to be an unexpected help in the bringdowns,

Reactions: Bret178
So who do we have on the roster now other than Horston that can play the point as none of the players coming in will be familiar with the system. That leaves Davis, Burrell, and Rennie. The players coming in Darby, Salary, and Suarez will be in the same situation that a Grad Transfer would be in as far as knowing the system. My take is one of the freshmen would have to play there behind Horston as the roster stands right now.

So who do we have on the roster now other than Horston that can play the point as none of the players coming in will be familiar with the system. That leaves Davis, Burrell, and Rennie. The players coming in Darby, Salary, and Suarez will be in the same situation that a Grad Transfer would be in as far as knowing the system. My take is one of the freshmen would have to play there behind Horston as the roster stands right now.

It will be interesting to see how Kellie molds this falls team.

You make a great point (no pun intended). To expect a transfer, even an experienced grad transfer, to be able to run a new to them offense is just not realistic.

Difficult, but not unheard of. Last year, you had Te'a Cooper and Minyon Moore doing that for Baylor and Oregon. There was Chloe Jackson the year before for Baylor as well. And these three were all players that didn't sit out a year and came in straight from their old school.

However, it is probably all a moot point because I don't think there is a player of the ability of Cooper, Moore or Jackson still available as a grad transfer, so it will be working with what you have.

Salary has a good variety in her game and can lead breaks, so she can spell Jordan...but like Jordan, she will have to adjust to the speed of the game and the level of smarts that she will be up against. The biggest thing I see in her game that she will have to learn is not to overplay one defense bc players on the college level will use her over-aggressive nature against her and wait for her to close-in on them and then drive by her while her momentum has her moving forward.. I do like her speed and really like her no-fear in driving to the hoop.

She's #10

Difficult, but not unheard of. Last year, you had Te'a Cooper and Minyon Moore doing that for Baylor and Oregon. There was Chloe Jackson the year before for Baylor as well. And these three were all players that didn't sit out a year and came in straight from their old school.

However, it is probably all a moot point because I don't think there is a player of the ability of Cooper, Moore or Jackson still available as a grad transfer, so it will be working with what you have.

I knew Coop was a beast, but it takes a stronger personality than she has to get the best out of her and CHW never had a chance with her "coaching personality" with players like Coop.

Yeah, that was my thought about the available players. No one near the talent of the players you mentioned.

VN Store

Back