Is signing a PG a must?

So where did Gaulden end up she has some really excellent stats for the time she played. She was a former five star haven't heard where she ended up was in the portal may have removed her name.

Salary has a good variety in her game and can lead breaks, so she can spell Jordan...but like Jordan, she will have to adjust to the speed of the game and the level of smarts that she will be up against. The biggest thing I see in her game that she will have to learn is not to overplay one defense bc players on the college level will use her over-aggressive nature against her and wait for her to close-in on them and then drive by her while her momentum has her moving forward.. I do like her speed and really like her no-fear in driving to the hoop.

She's #10

rock, stone coming up.

You seem not to like players that jog, but watching that video, she jogged on both offense when she didn’t have the ball and also getting back on defense. Funny you didn’t mention that.

I’m sure Coach Harper will change that.

Also, it takes more than leading breaks to play effective point guard. But as a coach, I’m sure you know that.

And, we have to be realistic: If we’re actively recruiting from the portal, surely we understand that such a player expects to start. IOW, if we’re literally recruiting a backup point guard through the portal, we’re likely to be very disappointed.
Yeah I said that from the beginning, no one worth getting would want to come as a preordained backup. But I'm not sure that's what KJH would be offering. I relistened to her comments regarding PG on the recent interview and she definitely left the door open to someone else at least sharing time with Jordan at PG. Didn't sound like she'd have a bit of a problem if someone really good came in and Jordan was able to slide back to shooting guard, her natural position. Didn't sound like JH as PG was as inevitable in KJH mind as it seems to many of us. She's definitely exploring all options.

Of course we're highly unlikely to find that magical transfer nor a magical transformation by someone already on the roster. So yes, out of necessity, JH is most likely the starter at PG. But I like that KJH is challenging her by holding open other possibilities. Probably part of her strategy to help Jordan achieve that all important improvement in ball handling we all agree is vital to the LVs success.

Back to the thread topic, a backup/timeshare PG is absolutely vital. Jordan should not have the full pressure of ball handling on her shoulders, especially playing out of postion. I ask again, has anyone ever heard JH say which guard position she prefers?

Last edited:
I believe I saw the same interview and came away with the same impression. I personally believe the best path to take is to recruit a PG for 2021 and 2022 and let someone man up for this fall. If we run and press, bringing it up by the dribble will not be required near as much.

If we run and press, bringing it up by the dribble will not be required near as much.
I agree, that may become necessary. But once again that's us avoiding having an actual half court offense, as we've been doing forever. That may beat the so-so teams, but not likely to take us to elite status.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
I personally like the idea of getting the ball into Rennia, Jordans and Rae's hands attacking from the wing with Tamari cutting down the middle and our shooters setting up for the kick-out. I don't think it will be successfully stopped by many.

I agree, that may become necessary. But once again that's us avoiding having an actual half court offense, as we've been doing forever. That may beat the so-so teams, but not likely to take us to elite status.

You're probably right but just for the record, we've won championships with the run and press. When we didn't have the shot, they pulled out and started their offense rather than forcing something that wasn't there and turning it over.

You make a great point (no pun intended). To expect a transfer, even an experienced grad transfer, to be able to run a new to them offense is just not realistic.

Why not? Point guard transfers aren't uncommon (and it's about to be a lot more common). Tennessee's last championship teams were due in large part to a transfer point guard who was ready to step in on day 1. There is always an adjustment period, but unless preseason practices are significantly condensed there is no reason a grad transfer can't be successful here...

Yeah I said that from the beginning, no one worth getting would want to come as a preordained backup. But I'm not sure that's what KJH would be offering. I relistened to her comments regarding PG on the recent interview and she definitely left the door open to someone else at least sharing time with Jordan at PG. Didn't sound like she'd have a bit of a problem if someone really good came in and Jordan was able to slide back to shooting guard, her natural position. Didn't sound like JH as PG was as inevitable in KJH mind as it seems to many of us. She's definitely exploring all options.

Of course we're highly unlikely to find that magical transfer nor a magical transformation by someone already on the roster. So yes, out of necessity, JH is most likely the starter at PG. But I like that KJH is challenging her by holding open other possibilities. Probably part of her strategy to help Jordan achieve that all important improvement in ball handling we all agree is vital to the LVs success.

Back to the thread topic, a backup/timeshare PG is absolutely vital. Jordan should not have the full pressure of ball handling on her shoulders, especially playing out of position. I ask again, has anyone ever heard JH say which guard position she prefers?

Her mother posted about this before on FB...Jordan was a PG for her early years and played the position in HS. She has always been a PG, but in her HS freshmen year she went from 5'8" to 6'-plus. This growth spurt is what makes her look like she should be a SG or SF,,,but she IS a PG and always has been.

She just had to adjust to the speed of the college game like Jaz did and like most every PG coming out of HS does.

But she IS a PG and is very comfortable playing the position.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
You're probably right but just for the record, we've won championships with the run and press..
Yes but not in a long time. Generally acknowledged that failure to combine that beloved Summitt offense with an actual pass and motion oriented half court offense is what has left us behind in the dust. Modern successful teams use run and press as a facet of their offense, not a tool to avoid playing half court.
This growth spurt is what makes her look like she should be a SG or SF,,,but she IS a PG and always has been.
Nothing to do with build. It's how to best utilize her skill set. I see a scorer and rebounder, dynamic as some like to say. Not a handler and distributor. As another poster said, she's a stick of dynamite passer. Might be spectacular, might blow up in your face. Of course JH can improve that, but probably not completely and not without damaging the dynamic scorer skill, which the team badly, badly needs. And I still haven't heard what Jordan wants.
agree...The white knight thing is done, find a new barb
The Knights Who Say "Ni!". Stop doing it and we'll stop saying it. Quit personalizing so you can rescue.

Why not? Point guard transfers aren't uncommon (and it's about to be a lot more common). Tennessee's last championship teams were due in large part to a transfer point guard who was ready to step in on day 1. There is always an adjustment period, but unless preseason practices are significantly condensed there is no reason a grad transfer can't be successful here...
It’s all about the talent level of the transfer.

There aren’t many Destiny Slocums out there.

Reactions: T_Vol376
and our shooters setting up for the kick-out.
Who are our outside shooters? Another area where we need big improvement.

Now someone is going to list every player we've recruited but never seen play against college competition. Hope one of them is the long dreamed of effective outside shooter, but its a big unknown at this point.

Yes but not in a long time. Generally acknowledged that failure to combine that beloved Summitt offense with an actual pass and motion oriented half court offense is what has left us behind in the dust. Modern successful teams use run and press as a facet of their offense, not a tool to avoid playing half court.

Nothing to do with build. It's how to best utilize her skill set. I see a scorer and rebounder, dynamic as some like to say. Not a handler and distributor. As another poster said, she's a stick of dynamite passer. Might be spectacular, might blow up in your face. Of course JH can improve that, but probably not completely and not without damaging the dynamic scorer skill, which the team badly, badly needs. And I still haven't heard what Jordan wants.

The Knights Who Say "Ni!". Stop doing it and we'll stop saying it. Quit personalizing so you can rescue.

You're probably not going to hear what Jordan wants because she doesn't post here.

I wear my colors proudly and do what I do for them, not for him or you...I did though try return the favor and create a good likeness for 376 but every time I got behind the horse it tried to kick me.

and do what I do for them,
That's the problem.

I agree, we probably won't hear a position preference from JH, especially if she's forced into the PG role when she'd rather not. Probably bravely take one for the team instead. I appreciate that. Just curious if she had a burning desire to handle, even if it hurts her ability to score. Just bc she played PG in high school doesn't mean she wants to in college. In HS, the best player almost always handles unless she's a 6'5" post. Whole different game at this level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darth_Vol
Who are our outside shooters? Another area where we need big improvement.

Now someone is going to list every player we've recruited but never seen play against college competition. Hope one of them is the long dreamed of effective outside shooter, but its a big unknown at this point.

Actually I think our best outside shooter is returning. If Rennie makes any improvement in her speed and defensive ability she will be a deadly asset from 3. She shot 46% (25-54) which would have led the SEC if she had just a few more attempts. Her shot might not be conventional, but it’s on the money. That’s an impressive percentage for a player not getting many minutes and coming in cold.

If she can play some minutes at the 2 we will be tough to defend. With the lineup of Horston, Rennie, Davis, Green and Key there should be 5 scoring threats on the floor. She’s the most likely to get an open look in that group. If she hits that percentage playing more minutes; teams will be forced to guard her. A great thing for the bigs and Rennia.

I just hope the subs make more sense than last season. That was the only thing I couldn’t get my head around with Coach last year. The bench players need more minutes with the starters in live games. It was first string or second string. Easier to get Rennie looks if you’ve got her in there with other players who can score.

Reactions: mlindsay

VN Store

Back