Holly still can't coach.

Tex A&M played 5 players and Holly couldn't figure out HOW TO BEAT THEM. A&M was sucking air at the end of the game b4 overtime. SMH.... They will lose the next 3 games................YOU WATCH !!

Ok, well they beat SC by 15. So, you're wrong already.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'm not going to go so far as to say we lose the next 3, but there were definitely some suspect plays last night. It almost felt like Holly didn't have a play drawn up for the play at the end of regulation and rather said go out and just run something and see what happens. Meme taking the three at the end, a player that hadn't scored all game long and certainly isn't their best option. I know they likely left her wide open for a reason, but come on, we can draw up something better than that.

The play was for Mercedes inside, but it took a couple seconds too long to develop & Meme shot instead of passing because she thought they were out of time.

I've been a major critic of Holly's but I'm actually quite pleased with the job she's done this year. Especially today, I thought she made some good play calls and substitutions that ended up making a big difference. The team rebounded extremely well from the tough road loss and played a good game today.

When you look at the season as a whole, the following areas have been much better compared to previous seasons:

1. Effort. Plain and simple, the players want to win and do their best. I never got that feeling the last couple of years. We'd go through stretches of good play and then have long lapses that would kill us. Hasn't happened this year.

2. Unselfish play. You don't see a lot of forced shots compared to previous years. Westbrook, Hayes, Jackson and Nared are all unselfish players and as a result, players are getting better looks.

3. Emphasis on post play. Russell is getting a lot of good looks this year and it's because there is less dribbling on the perimeter with poor shots being jacked up.

4. Confidence. This might be the biggest one. When opponents go on a run, we haven't cracked. We absorb it, and then take the momentum back. It happened today, against Texas, and against Stanford.

Here's where we could use some improvement:
1. End of quarter awareness-the guards rarely stop to hold for one shot. A lot of times they'll take shots way too early in the shot clock and give opponents a chance to score at the end of the quarter.

2. Late game fouls--cost us the A&M and nearly cost us the Marquette game

3. Turnovers are high, which is to be expected with a young crop of players, but many of these can easily be cleaned up and need to be cleaned up as the season continues.

The SEC is not going to be easy, and I expect a few losses along the way, but if we end the regular season with just 4-5 losses I'll be very pleased.

What you said is all true. Shooting early and late game fouls are thing that could be corrected. Even in Knoxville recreation leagues, kids are taught to hold the ball for last shots.

We have, in abundance, good guards and forwards. Ours are the best in the nation.

Over passing and being afraid to dribble and shoot are bigger problems. Holly, please don't over coach them!

Last edited:
I think she can coach if the players listen and follow the game plan. One place where she may be lacking is toughness in making players do what she wants done. I think that is quite evident in the Deshields, Cooper years. She has some players that will listen now and we see the results the one game lost was when they went off the gameplan and didn't drive the ball to get to the line.

Reactions: 2 people
I've been a major critic of Holly's but I'm actually quite pleased with the job she's done this year. Especially today, I thought she made some good play calls and substitutions that ended up making a big difference. The team rebounded extremely well from the tough road loss and played a good game today.

When you look at the season as a whole, the following areas have been much better compared to previous seasons:

1. Effort. Plain and simple, the players want to win and do their best. I never got that feeling the last couple of years. We'd go through stretches of good play and then have long lapses that would kill us. Hasn't happened this year.

2. Unselfish play. You don't see a lot of forced shots compared to previous years. Westbrook, Hayes, Jackson and Nared are all unselfish players and as a result, players are getting better looks.

3. Emphasis on post play. Russell is getting a lot of good looks this year and it's because there is less dribbling on the perimeter with poor shots being jacked up.

4. Confidence. This might be the biggest one. When opponents go on a run, we haven't cracked. We absorb it, and then take the momentum back. It happened today, against Texas, and against Stanford.

Here's where we could use some improvement:
1. End of quarter awareness-the guards rarely stop to hold for one shot. A lot of times they'll take shots way too early in the shot clock and give opponents a chance to score at the end of the quarter.

2. Late game fouls--cost us the A&M and nearly cost us the Marquette game

3. Turnovers are high, which is to be expected with a young crop of players, but many of these can easily be cleaned up and need to be cleaned up as the season continues.

The SEC is not going to be easy, and I expect a few losses along the way, but if we end the regular season with just 4-5 losses I'll be very pleased.
Agree with a lot of this. I've started watching games again. The effort and attitude was so bad, it was unwatchable. My hope is that Holly has purged that and has a fresh start. I think the freshmen are the reason, and I pray there isn't anything lingering that will infect them.

It's obvious Holly has improved her staff, which has also helped. My concern is whether Holly herself really has the IQ to be a feared floor general.

Offensively, it's still a mess. The difference is you have players that are motivated and can win a lot of one on ones. The turnovers are evidence of the lack of flow and cohesive sets that generate open baskets.

Yes, they are committed to feeding the post, but this is where a lot of the TOs are happening. There are some key offensive strategies to getting your post the ball where you aren't having to throw a 30 foot bullet to someone under the basket.

Reactions: 2 people
Agree with a lot of this. I've started watching games again. The effort and attitude was so bad, it was unwatchable. My hope is that Holly has purged that and has a fresh start. I think the freshmen are the reason, and I pray there isn't anything lingering that will infect them.

It's obvious Holly has improved her staff, which has also helped. My concern is whether Holly herself really has the IQ to be a feared floor general.

Offensively, it's still a mess. The difference is you have players that are motivated and can win a lot of one on ones. The turnovers are evidence of the lack of flow and cohesive sets that generate open baskets.

Yes, they are committed to feeding the post, but this is where a lot of the TOs are happening. There are some key offensive strategies to getting your post the ball where you aren't having to throw a 30 foot bullet to someone under the basket.

No, we don't have ever selfish players. Crazy fans do blame players and parents. In the past, it was Meighan Sharee Simmons, DD and Cooper who got the hates!

I don’t understand how we have a lack of offensive flow, and no sets yet this is the best passing team (assist wise) Holly has ever had! We lead the league in assist! 🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐 if anything that says the complete opposite of what you’re stating.

Reactions: 5 people
As of this writing Seniors, 6'6"Stephanie Soares, Post, of Plugerville, TX and 6'4" Britany Gardner, Post, of Camden Catholic School of New Jersey have excellent stats and ratings but are unsigned. Would be great if one or both came to UT next season.

I think she can coach if the players listen and follow the game plan. One place where she may be lacking is toughness in making players do what she wants done. I think that is quite evident in the Deshields, Cooper years. She has some players that will listen now and we see the results the one game lost was when they went off the gameplan and didn't drive the ball to get to the line.

Holly is not the only coach that has players that have gone off script, the key is to have the ability to correct such behavior. Sometimes she allows her players to go completely South without calling a timeout and trying to correct the situation.

A lot of players when they know your weaknesses will exploit them. To be successful, long term, you must have the ability to convince players to stick to your game plan. If players decide to go off your game plan, you must have the ability to put them back on track or set their butts on the bench.

Holly is not the only coach that has players that have gone off script, the key is to have the ability to correct such behavior. Sometimes she allows her players to go completely South without calling a timeout and trying to correct the situation.

A lot of players when they know your weaknesses will exploit them. To be successful, long term, you must have the ability to convince players to stick to your game plan. If players decide to go off your game plan, you must have the ability to put them back on track or set their butts on the bench.

Is this thread still breathing?
JK

True on many levels tdean
CHW has to grow in some areas,,,Just like we all do.

Me personally, I am an an excellent fundamental skills coach...A good offensive continuity coach...But I can't see the "dance" (The paths taken by each athlete during a called route-play) . . . I can draw them up. And they most often work but if you asked me if they actually ran it right....Total guess!

As a coach this is a weakness. Have I worked on it?
Constantly.

But, how?
Retrain what I am?

Heck I park at Walmart and more times than not, I walk out and am thankful for my "unique car". My brother could go one time to anywhere and find it without help from then,,on. . . Not me.

CHW will have to learn to use TO's as more than defenders,,,They are often weapons, attention getters,,, to rest the players,,,to draw up a play...Etc.

She'll get it.
She'll have to.

Last edited:
As of this writing Seniors, 6'6"Stephanie Soares, Post, of Plugerville, TX and 6'4" Britany Gardner, Post, of Camden Catholic School of New Jersey have excellent stats and ratings but are unsigned. Would be great if one or both came to UT next season.

Stephanie will be attending Master U. Dont ask me where that is.

Stephanie will be attending Master U. Dont ask me where that is.

I found this. Can’t stand not knowing something 🧐. Not saying this is where she’s going, but all I can find.

The Master's University, 21726 Placerita Canyon Road, Santa Clarita, CA 91321
the master's university
Map of the master's university
The Master's University is a non-denominational, conservative Christian liberal arts university in Santa Clarita, California, in the United States. Wikipedia
Undergraduate tuition and fees:
29,860 USD (2015)

I don’t understand how we have a lack of offensive flow, and no sets yet this is the best passing team (assist wise) Holly has ever had! We lead the league in assist! 🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐 if anything that says the complete opposite of what you’re stating.

Because of Russell and Nared.
Commend them for posting up and demanding the ball.
The fact that it's the best under Holly isn't saying much because it's been so awful.
You always have to measure assist directly to turnovers. That ratio is not good.

Given that this post should have died long ago given its title,can we now stop posting in it so it can go to the dumb a$$ post cemetery?

Reactions: 6 people

We keep blaming the players. We have been doing that since Holly became coach. If a coach can’t get their players to follow their game plan, then they are not head coaching material. The head coach has to be in control in all phases of their team play. One of Holly’s problem is she hates to call timeouts when the team starts playing wreckless. She also seems to have difficulty coming up with in game solutions. Tonight coaching was part of the issue.

Reactions: 3 people
This was nearly a historic choke job. Finding a way to blow a 23 point lead is unthinkable. ..but to lose by 14 is an insane choke. That's being outscored by 37 points. Think of that. That's a meltdown of epic proportions. That's Holly. 28 turnovers? My gawd. Horrific. Tonight was a total embarrassment. Holly should be ashamed. Absolutely shameful.

No timeouts when the lead was being lost in chunks, unreal. It was probably because she had no idea what to say if they did. I've said it after two years into this experiment, she can overwhelm teams with inferior talent but can't beat the coaches that know what they are doing. We get so outcoached often.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back