Holly still can't coach.

No timeouts when the lead was being lost in chunks, unreal. It was probably because she had no idea what to say if they did. I've said it after two years into this experiment, she can overwhelm teams with inferior talent but can't beat the coaches that know what they are doing. We get so outcoached often.

Absolutely 100% accurate observation.

Reactions: 3 people
Holly is not the only coach that has players that have gone off script, the key is to have the ability to correct such behavior. Sometimes she allows her players to go completely South without calling a timeout and trying to correct the situation.

A lot of players when they know your weaknesses will exploit them. To be successful, long term, you must have the ability to convince players to stick to your game plan. If players decide to go off your game plan, you must have the ability to put them back on track or set their butts on the bench.

Right on.

Reactions: 1 person
:dance2:
We keep blaming the players. We have been doing that since Holly became coach. If a coach can’t get their players to follow their game plan, then they are not head coaching material. The head coach has to be in control in all phases of their team play. One of Holly’s problem is she hates to call timeouts when the team starts playing wreckless. She also seems to have difficulty coming up with in game solutions. Tonight coaching was part of the issue.

Holly doesn't call time outs , she look to Dean most of the time.

Notre Dame got past Rockne, UCLA got past Wooden, Bama got past Bryant. The Lady Vols can't seem to get past Pat. Until they do, settle into mediocrity. God knows we've got the right coach for it.

Reactions: 2 people
It was only a matter of time before the new girls got infected.

The more time they spend with Holly the worse it will get.

It was only a matter of time before the new girls got infected.

The more time they spend with Holly the worse it will get.

Soon they will no longer be able to dribble, shoot or rebound. But they will still pass or throw the ball away.

Last edited:
Marciniak seems to think Holly can coach!

Attachments

• 92765966-55C2-45C6-BE10-66979E36D106.jpeg
    92765966-55C2-45C6-BE10-66979E36D106.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 97E51661-CE74-4843-8DB7-30452693AAAB.jpg
    97E51661-CE74-4843-8DB7-30452693AAAB.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 78A02B63-2B7C-46BC-9F8C-F516F6AB52D0.jpg
    78A02B63-2B7C-46BC-9F8C-F516F6AB52D0.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: 5 people
I agree about Geno's successor to an extent. His replacement will have it easier because of the tin can conference they play in.

I thought the part about the players making plays and winning or losing games is a great counter to coach potatoes and coach wannabes who want to pin everything on the coaches. If I have a choice, I would side with the championship player and not Mr. Potato head.

Michelle mentioned UConn's reset moment when Geno hangs it up. LVs have endured a five year moment under CHW. Big difference.

I thought the part about the players making plays and winning or losing games is a great counter to coach potatoes and coach wannabes who want to pin everything on the coaches. If I have a choice, I would side with the championship player and not Mr. Potato head.

Precisely, Holly doesn’t let players blow past them, she doesn’t not box out, she doesn’t make the turnovers for the team! It really is all about the type of players you recruit. They need to be athletic AND smart these days.

I’m not saying we have dumb players, but they have to learn to let the game come to them and not force it so much.

Precisely, Holly doesn’t let players blow past them, she doesn’t not box out, she doesn’t make the turnovers for the team! It really is all about the type of players you recruit. They need to be athletic AND smart these days.

I’m not saying we have dumb players, but they have to learn to let the game come to them and not force it so much.

Your argument is lacking. Having arguably the number one recruiting class in US.......will just further "expose" Holly as the week Coach she is.
She can NOT Coach. Thats IT!!

And isn't it the coach's job to reinforce this? If a player isn't boxing out, you correct it as their coach. This has been an ongoing problem for years, no matter who the players on the court are.

Reactions: 6 people
And isn't it the coach's job to reinforce this? If a player isn't boxing out, you correct it as their coach. This has been an ongoing problem for years, no matter who the players on the court are.

You can reinforce it all you want, the players are the ones that have to get on the court and actually DO it.

I don’t know maybe Holly does go into practice and says “Ok ladies, today we’re going to work on how NOT to box out”

Reactions: 3 people
You can reinforce it all you want, the players are the ones that have to get on the court and actually DO it.

I don’t know maybe Holly does go into practice and says “Ok ladies, today we’re going to work on how NOT to box out”

Or, more likely, boxing out never gets mentioned in practice.

U ever coach?

Some people are good coaches (teachers), some are not. Those that are not usually see their mistakes often in the final score. Don't tell me who they have beat, we know who the quality teams are.

The idea that players just play and coaches simply bring talent is sheer idiocy. Why pay a bunch of money for coaches then? Hell, why have a coach if it's just a matter of players playing?

If anyone tells me that it's not about the coach when we get top tier talent under two different coaches, but one has 8 NCs and a bushel full of Final Fours and the other can't even make the Final Four, then I can't take you seriously.

Coaches matter. A lot. Especially on the college level.

VN Store

Back