2017 Starting QB: Dormady or Guarantano?

I love the person and athlete that Dobbs is, but I never saw the leadership from him that I think a QB needs to have. He was a lead by example type but what I saw at B@B it was Jones rallying the team. I think a QB needs to be vocal and I never saw that in the 3 1/2 years of Dobbs. I think he had the respect of team mates but not as a leader they felt would always find a way to win. That is what I would like in next years starter. JMO

Worst post of the week award. Grats.

Reactions: 5 people
Dominant? CK had great stats at Nevada. Where he played cupcakes for the majority of his career. Case Keenum had insane college stats too. So did Colt Brennan and Ty Detmer.

Dominant in the NFL? What season are you talking about? CK's best statistical seasons are:

2013- 58% 3197 PY, 524 RY, 25 total TDS and 8 INTS
2014- 60% 3369 PY, 639 RY, 20 total TDS and 10 INTS

where is the dominance?

He led his team to a superbowl.

I know there is alot of hate for Kaepernick right now because of his political stance and poor play but there was a time when Ron Jaworski (noted ESPN football analyst and former NFL QB) said Kaepernick had a chance to be the best QB of all-time.

Yes that seems crazy now. But there was a time during that superbowl run where Colin Kaepernick was the face of the NFL. His jersey was a top seller and everyone was doing his bicep kissing celebration. To pretend that Kaepernick did not have a short time on top of the NFL is to deny history.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
We better not run the read option with Dormady. He's got decent wheels and if he pulls it, he could get some yards but I don't think it would be an effective game plan.

I know there is alot of hate for Kaepernick right now because of his political stance and poor play but there was a time when Ron Jaworski (noted ESPN football analyst and former NFL QB) said Kaepernick had a chance to be the best QB of all-time.

Yes that seems crazy now. But there was a time during that superbowl run where Colin Kaepernick was the face of the NFL. His jersey was a top seller and everyone was doing his bicep kissing celebration. To pretend that Kaepernick did not have a short time on top of the NFL is to deny history.

And Jaworski was woefully wrong. So tell me, what statistics can you provide that backs up your argument that Kaep was EVER a top QB in the NFL? Jersey sales mean nothing. That just means you are popular. He was never the face of the NFL. That has belonged to guys like Brady, Manning and Rodgers.

We better not run the read option with Dormady. He's got decent wheels and if he pulls it, he could get some yards but I don't think it would be an effective game plan.

Guys like Nick Fitzgerald would disagree with this. We havent seen enough of QD, so how do you know he cannot run the read option and thrive doing it?

Jaworski has been wrong a lot, he controls the narriative on his segments but cannot control the results of his looks into the crystal ball.

Guys like Nick Fitzgerald would disagree with this. We havent seen enough of QD, so how do you know he cannot run the read option and thrive doing it?

Trevor Knight would disagree as well. Guy looks like a pure pocket passer. Instead he has accuracy woes that rival Dobbs, but like Dobbs, can flat out take it to the house with his wheels.

MULTIPLE reports from Fall camp talked about just how good JG looked and that he looked like the best QB in camp. JMO but I think he will be the starter and you will see him separating himself from the other two early in Spring practice.

Reactions: 1 person
Notice how all the negates couldn't wait to jump in and get everyone all worked up by saying JG will start?

Let me get this strait. You start a kid who has NEVER seen a field beyond high school over a senior leader that has been groomed for 3 years and earned his play time the hard way? a ben roethlisburger true NFL passer behind what will be our most experienced and deepest O line in YEARS. In a year where we have loaded the wide out position with speed and more speed and Jelly in the backfield. riggghhhhht...

What? Dormady won't be a senior. He has been here one more year and JG ran this exact o in HS. He hasn't, "been groomed for three years".

He hasn't done anything to earn playing time at qb next year. Sitting on the bench a couple of years isn't earning playing time the hard way. I don't know why some of you think just because a qb backs up a couple years that means he should automatically play.

Ben Roethlisberger is 6'5 245 with a cannon. Dormady is 6'4 216 with a good arm. Nowhere near a good comparison. We haven't seen any NFL passer play yet from QD.

At least make some realistic points for why you think QD starts. Everyone that goes to practice says JG is a better qb and leader.

MULTIPLE reports from Fall camp talked about just how good JG looked and that he looked like the best QB in camp. JMO but I think he will be the starter and you will see him separating himself from the other two early in Spring practice.

Are these MULTIPLE reports published? I'd like to read ONE of them. K-Town acts like there's a library of such.

Butch really can't tell the truth in the spring who win's the job because if he names a starter the other one will take a hike to another school not like the old days when you stood your ground and try to get better to win the job.

Dormandy reminds me of Connor Shaw. Not elite as Dobbs at running the ball but a solid scrambler...can get up field if there is a hole...but he will pick up 5-7yds where as Dobbs would turn that situation into 10+yds. Our passing game will be upgraded and WR's and TE's will be more of a factor post Dobbs era...just my 2cents.

What? Dormady won't be a senior. He has been here one more year and JG ran this exact o in HS. He hasn't, "been groomed for three years".

He hasn't done anything to earn playing time at qb next year. Sitting on the bench a couple of years isn't earning playing time the hard way. I don't know why some of you think just because a qb backs up a couple years that means he should automatically play.

Ben Roethlisberger is 6'5 245 with a cannon. Dormady is 6'4 216 with a good arm. Nowhere near a good comparison. We haven't seen any NFL passer play yet from QD.

At least make some realistic points for why you think QD starts. Everyone that goes to practice says JG is a better qb and leader.

EVERYONE. :lol: Why always so generic? Give us ONE.

When Butch recruited Dormady, he knew what he was getting and also knew what offense he was running. I get the impression some of you forget that important point. I'm sure Butch had a plan when recruiting QD and would not have offered him a scholarship if he didn't think he could be successful with him running the offense.

Therefore, I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that QD does not fit our offense and JG is a shoe in for the starting job. Furthermore, JG has crazy talent, but that doesn't always translate into a good QB. We've seen it far too often when that doesn't translate and granted we've seen it work out well too.

Bottom line, nobody knows who the front runner is outside of the coaching staff. Spring and Summer will determine who starts.

I get the impression if it isn't JG, then Volnation will scream how stupid Butch is like we know better than him and the staff.

From what I've read, JG has the IT factor and can make all the throws as a true dual threat QB. However, CBJ is trying to keep his job so he'll go conservative as usual. I'm thinking QD aka Worley 2.0

To say QD is Worley 2.0, you are implying he isn't mobile and is a statue, he has no accuracy, and he can't throw the deep ball....

In his limited time playing mop up, he has proven he isn't any of those things...

Good Grief.

Don't know but it would be nice to have an answer materialize during the Spring instead of dragging it out until Fall. I imagine Dormady gets the nod as it *should* be his to lose but Geronimo sounds like a legit threat to take the ball and run with it.

JG`s throws are accurate, the problem is that he has a cannon for an arm and the receivers say you don`t just catch his passes you try to survive them.

VN Store

Back