2017 Starting QB: Dormady or Guarantano?

Because you're not looking...and if they said it you would take away their professional certification. :) Seriously no one in this conversation with you has declared Dormady the starter...could easily go the other way. We just don't hide behind some random praise for a talented redshirt and cite it as PROOF instead of registering it as an opinion. Don't know what you're afraid of with your desperation on this topic. We don't have a VETO. :w00t:

95%? OMG...dude! :stop: So anybody disagreeing with your bull is "lying"? Gotcha chachi...come back to us when you graduate clown college. :eek:k:

KTowns stuff is all race based. I truly believe if QD was a different color, he would be saying he is the clear favorite.

Reactions: 1 person
I certainly hope that it's JG but he does have to earn it in practice and on the field. In college the best QBs are dual threats. Look no further than Louisville, Clemson and yes, Alabama to see why. Those are examples of schools with dangerous QBs. Any college D- coordinator worth his salt will tell you he'd much rather face a pocket QB with a cannon arm than a dual threat guy. In the NFL, the game's altogether different. I'd argue that guys like Heath Shuler and Tee Martin were better college QBs than Peyton.

While Dormady has the edge in experience at QB, Guarantano may be the more logical choice for a Butch Jones offense, yes?

Here's to hoping someone steps up and fills some big shoes at QB.......with spring football just around the corner, will Vol fans get a clear idea of who will command the offense for team 121?

It would be interesting to see a "score-sheet" for both objective and subjective metrics that CBJ and company utilize to rate QBs. I would think it would be similar to what they use to recruit QBs.

Objective - yards passing, completion, interceptions, passing precision, yards running, etc.
Subjective - knows plays, huddle leadership, "it-factor", looks off defenders, toughness, etc.

Just some ideas....

It would be interesting to see a "score-sheet" for both objective and subjective metrics that CBJ and company utilize to rate QBs. I would think it would be similar to what they use to recruit QBs.

Objective - yards passing, completion, interceptions, passing precision, yards running, etc.
Subjective - knows plays, huddle leadership, "it-factor", looks off defenders, toughness, etc.

Just some ideas....

for some reason, i think they'll have a way to evaluate the qb's.

Completely depends on what this Oline looks like. The lines are EVERYTHING this year.
i won't say it solely lies on the line, but you're right. if this O line is = to the last two we've put on the field, there won't be a Josh Dobbs back there to bail out on break downs.

the O line being what we hope it can be is going to play heavily in whether or not one of these guys can actually run the offense.

but with ?'s at RB and WR (after Jennings and Kelly), the O line may be 1 or 2 on the list, but the whole offense needs to answer some questions headed in to '17.

it'll be a lot easier to get the right answers, though, if the O line pans out.

I expect JG to end up the starter, from what we know of him he seems to be a good fit with Jones offense. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dormady take the first snap of the season though.

Knowing Jones, Dormady is the starter UNLESS Guarantano beats him out by an Obvious margin! Hopefully this happens because it would mean JG is living up to the Billing!! :rock: JMO

I expect JG to end up the starter, from what we know of him he seems to be a good fit with Jones offense. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dormady take the first snap of the season though.

While I agree that this is probably true, bottom line is, if we start the season with Dormandy, and end it with JG, that means we've had at least a couple games we lost that shouldn't have.

Whether it's Dormandy or JG, I think he needs to go with the QB he thinks we will end the season with...too much on the line this year. That being said, sometimes QB's just aren't ready yet. Not saying this is the case at all, but if Dormandy is ready, and JG isn't then have to bring JG along slowly. Dormandy does throw a really nice deep ball. IF we think we've got the next Deshawn Watson waiting in the wings, he can raise the tide for all boats...including recruiting, and needs to be the guy out of the gate.

While I agree that this is probably true, bottom line is, if we start the season with Dormandy, and end it with JG, that means we've had at least a couple games we lost that shouldn't have.

Whether it's Dormandy or JG, I think he needs to go with the QB he thinks we will end the season with...too much on the line this year. That being said, sometimes QB's just aren't ready yet. Not saying this is the case at all, but if Dormandy is ready, and JG isn't then have to bring JG along slowly. Dormandy does throw a really nice deep ball. IF we think we've got the next Deshawn Watson waiting in the wings, he can raise the tide for all boats...including recruiting, and needs to be the guy out of the gate.

I'm on a roll! Nother ban guarantee! This DORMANDY loser never returns from the three year long Spring Break he took with SHERIDAN, and there will not be a first DESHAWN Watson...much less a second! :aggressive:

Sounds like most on here would be shocked to know that white boy can run too. The difference in these two guys is one is a finesse passer while the other is a pure velocity power passer. One passes THROUGH defenders, the other passes AROUND defenders. That is the difference.

Sounds like most on here would be shocked to know that white boy can run too. The difference in these two guys is one is a finesse passer while the other is a pure velocity power passer. One passes THROUGH defenders, the other passes AROUND defenders. That is the difference.
I'm not sure anything in your post is correct wrt UT's QB competition

The difference will be the abilities to make plays with their feet. This is Guarantano's to lose, count on it. Just another weapon to defend.

I'm not sure anything in your post is correct wrt UT's QB competition

These two are more alike then they are different, and those assuming that JG should start because they think we need a woopsie doo high school hijinks type offense are going to be in for a surprise when JG comes out slinging it. If you think that Dormady is a statue you havent watched him when he gets forced out of the pocket adn dashes for a first down.

There is a reason there is a battle brewing, they are very similar. The difference being one is a power guy, the other is a finesse guy.

VN Store

Back