2017 Starting QB: Dormady or Guarantano?

OuterBanksVol

With Dobbs off to conquer space, who is our starting quarterback next year? This is perhaps more an offensive philosophical question than one of talent. If we stick with a spread offense, Guar is the natural fit as a dual threat QB who can run. Then again, if we change to a pro style offense, Dor is the natural fit as a traditional drop back passer.

Given Dor will be a Junior and has actual playing time, he seems the obvious choice. But if Dor is the QB next year, does the OC force him to run a spread offense? Unless we change coaching staffs (i.e. no DeBord and/or Butch brings in an old school OC), it would also seem unlikely that we'd change our fundamental offensive scheme... right?

So... barring something I'm missing, Guarantano is our starter next year. Which leaves Dormady disgruntled and ready to transfer. Ummmm... right?

Last edited:
With Dobbs off to conquer space, who is our starting quarterback next year? This is perhaps more an offensive philosophical question than one of talent. If we stick with a spread offense, Guar is the natural fit as a dual threat QB who can run. The again, if we change to a pro style offense, Dor is the natural fit as a traditional drop back passer.

Given Dor will be a Junior and has actual playing time, he seems the obvious choice. But if Dor is the QB next year, does the OC force him to run a spread offense? Unless we change coaching staffs (i.e. no DeBord and/or Butch brings in an old school OC), it would also seem unlikely that we'd change our fundamental offensive scheme... right?

So... barring something I'm missing, Guarantano is our starter next year. And Dormady is probably pissed off and ready to transfer. Ummmm... right?

Dormady will be the starter next year due to experience. JG will get his chance if Dormady gets injured.

Reactions: 5 people
In any system JG most likely starts. He is more talented according to the practice observers. Better thrower and runner.

Reactions: 6 people
Guarantano. Fits our offense better. In my opinion Dormady would be another Worley, defenses will know he'll hand it off on the read option every single time.

Reactions: 4 people
Dormady will be the starter next year due to experience. JG will get his chance if Dormady gets injured.

So Dormady would run a spread offense with RPOs? Modified spread offense? Pro style offense? Has anyone actually thought this situation through? It's a serious problem. We can't expect our line to be able to run both... right?

Last edited:
In any system JG most likely starts. He is more talented according to the practice observers. Better thrower and runner.

Agreed. We'll have to see throughout spring and summer how they progress. My issue with Dormady looking forward is this offense. I'm foreseeing Worley back there. And JG as Dobbs.

Reactions: 1 person
I think we start the season with a 2 QB system. The FL game will decide which one will go the rest of the season!

Weird because he was one of the most accurate QBs coming in. Did we already Dobbsify him?

I was surprised to hear it too, but it was a solid source....like Hubbs or Pat Ryan...not some yahoo like me. They said he'd made great strides but had a ways to go.

With Dobbs off to conquer space, who is our starting quarterback next year? This is perhaps more an offensive philosophical question than one of talent. If we stick with a spread offense, Guar is the natural fit as a dual threat QB who can run. The again, if we change to a pro style offense, Dor is the natural fit as a traditional drop back passer.

So... barring something I'm missing, Guarantano is our starter next year. And Dormady is probably pissed off and ready to transfer. Ummmm... right?

To many "if's" to make this call. Hopefully whoever earns it will start. If we do bring in a new OC it will be interesting to see if the system changes, stays the same or a mixture

So Dormady would run a spread offense with RPOs? Modified spread offense? Pro style offense? Has anyone actually thought this situation through? It's a serious problem.

Moded spread. Unless he's got good wheels no way he runs the same offense Dobbs ran. The best coaches adapt thier schemes to the personal they have

From what I've read, JG has the IT factor and can make all the throws as a true dual threat QB. However, CBJ is trying to keep his job so he'll go conservative as usual. I'm thinking QD aka Worley 2.0

Moded spread. Unless he's got good wheels no way he runs the same offense Dobbs ran. The best coaches adapt thier schemes to the personal they have

OK. So, do we utilize a fullback and keep the threat of a power game or do we leave John Kelly in the backfield alone to protect Dormady? I love Kelly, but not buying that he's really 210 pounds. Ironically, seems to me, if Dormady is QB, we need a big Jalen Hurd type single back.

I honestly don't know. I would think Dormady's experience is important. But I think JG's talent is off the charts. It's impossible for me to make an educated guess at this point.

The one that gives us the best chance to win.

Word on the street JG will get some meaningful snaps early.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back