2017 Starting QB: Dormady or Guarantano?

Whoever it is, I'm sure he will be a more accurate, downfield passer than Dobbs. Dobbs is great at many things, but he struggled with long throws

Actually when he's given time to throw and doesn't tense up, he can make pretty accurate long throws. He tried to do too much which made him overthink a lot of plays. Let's not act like he just flat out sucked throwing the ball downfield.

Reactions: 2 people
Notice how all the negates couldn't wait to jump in and get everyone all worked up by saying JG will start?

Let me get this strait. You start a kid who has NEVER seen a field beyond high school over a senior leader that has been groomed for 3 years and earned his play time the hard way? a ben roethlisburger true NFL passer behind what will be our most experienced and deepest O line in YEARS. In a year where we have loaded the wide out position with speed and more speed and Jelly in the backfield. riggghhhhht...

I'll say this. My dad and I were at the vandy game and at the end of the vol walk with all of the families. When butch came through, he ignored everyone else and stopped for a few minutes and hugged all the Guarantano family members. Not just a hug, but serious butt kissing. Take it for what you will, but he ignored at least 15 other families, many of them starters parents.

Jones has known JG's Father for many years and has coached with his father previously, which would explain
his affection with the family. Your verbage about someone being ignored paints a different picture than reality.

I agree, I don't like the idea either EXCEPT it would be a benefit for the GA TECH game. They will have film on what JG can do (like Dobbs) but not Dormady. That could be a BEE KILLER! IF they do it for that game and it works might just as well give yeller teeth something to worry about!

Yeller teeth. :eek:lol:

I'll say this. My dad and I were at the vandy game and at the end of the vol walk with all of the families. When butch came through, he ignored everyone else and stopped for a few minutes and hugged all the Guarantano family members. Not just a hug, but serious butt kissing. Take it for what you will, but he ignored at least 15 other families, many of them starters parents.

Jones has known JG's Father for many years and has coached with his father previously, which would explain
his affection with the family. Your verbage about someone being ignored paints a different picture than reality.

I only stated what I saw. But that does make sense.

Whoever it is, I'm sure he will be a more accurate, downfield passer than Dobbs. Dobbs is great at many things, but he struggled with long throws

Disagree. Dobbs had a really good year and made several deep ball throws to Malone. There was also a long one to Jennings in Athens I believe

Reactions: 3 people
Disagree. Dobbs had a really good year and made several deep ball throws to Malone. There was also a long one to Jennings in Athens I believe

When you can count long throws on one hand...you hope the next guy is a little better. I thought dobbs was great this year, but a downfield passer he was not.

Reactions: 1 person
I love the person and athlete that Dobbs is, but I never saw the leadership from him that I think a QB needs to have. He was a lead by example type but what I saw at B@B it was Jones rallying the team. I think a QB needs to be vocal and I never saw that in the 3 1/2 years of Dobbs. I think he had the respect of team mates but not as a leader they felt would always find a way to win. That is what I would like in next years starter. JMO

If it's not JG then, CBJ is screwed. Dobbs was the best available for CBJ's system in his first 1/3 recruiting cycle. JG is the one that CBJ hand picked to run his O. I like Dormady and S Jones but, the future belongs to JG. He just has to take it and run. Ok and, pass some to.

Last edited:
If it's not JG then, CBJ is screwed. Dobbs was the best available for CBJ's system in his first 1/3 recruiting cycle. JG is the one that CBJ hand picked to run his O. I like Dormady and S Jones but, the future belongs to JG. He just has to take it and run. Ok and, pass some to.

I love the person and athlete that Dobbs is, but I never saw the leadership from him that I think a QB needs to have. He was a lead by example type but what I saw at B@B it was Jones rallying the team. I think a QB needs to be vocal and I never saw that in the 3 1/2 years of Dobbs. I think he had the respect of team mates but not as a leader they felt would always find a way to win. That is what I would like in next years starter. JMO

You didnt watch many games did you.

When you can count long throws on one hand...you hope the next guy is a little better. I thought dobbs was great this year, but a downfield passer he was not.

Really? Who led the SEC in TD passes over 20+ yards? Also Watsons YA in 2016= 8.0. Dobbs YA in 2016= 8.3. Dobbs was a very good downfield passer this year.

Reactions: 6 people
We will talk about this till the spring game and whoever " plays better " in the spring game will become the next peyton.....

I know were mad at the coaches right now.......... Lets give them another year. trust the coaches.

End of thread. You just drove the bus off the cliff and into oblivion.

I guess you guys didn't watch Kaepernick in college or his first few years in the NFL.

He was a dominant football player.

We'll be lucky if JG is as good as Kaepernick. That would mean we have one of the top QBs in college football for the next 2-4 years.

Reactions: 3 people
Dobbs threw 63 percent this year man. Dont call that inaccurate. Let the stereotype go brother. He was a top passer in the SEC.

thank you! Folks are stuck with the perception that he couldnt throw. There is a reason Malone and Jennings were top SEC receivers. Its not like they were throwing it to themselves. Dobbs can throw. end of story.

I guess you guys didn't watch Kaepernick in college or his first few years in the NFL.

He was a dominant football player.

We'll be lucky if JG is as good as Kaepernick. That would mean we have one of the top QBs in college football for the next 2-4 years.

Dominant? CK had great stats at Nevada. Where he played cupcakes for the majority of his career. Case Keenum had insane college stats too. So did Colt Brennan and Ty Detmer.

Dominant in the NFL? What season are you talking about? CK's best statistical seasons are:

2013- 58% 3197 PY, 524 RY, 25 total TDS and 8 INTS
2014- 60% 3369 PY, 639 RY, 20 total TDS and 10 INTS

where is the dominance?

VN Store

Back