The Ultimate Cord Cutting Guide (merged)

Why doesn't ESPN understand that they could release a standalone package for $24.99 and millions would subscribe?

The literal only reason why I would want a live tv streaming service is to watch live sports. Best case scenario, I'd watch 5-10 shows a month for, essentially $65, no matter what. Not worth $6-12 per event.

Reactions: VolNExile
So, DirecTV Stream raised their rates again. I'm sick of this crap. Thinking of switching elsewhere, but all of them have channels lacking that I want. The one that looks like it best suits my needs is FUBO. They have Bally Sports, which carries the Angels games. Anyone have FUBO?
I used FUBO for a few months. I probably like it second best behind YTTV. The interface is similar as far as channel surfing goes

Reactions: SDV and VolNExile
Why doesn't ESPN understand that they could release a standalone package for $24.99 and millions would subscribe?

The literal only reason why I would want a live tv streaming service is to watch live sports. Best case scenario, I'd watch 5-10 shows a month for, essentially $65, no matter what. Not worth $6-12 per event.

You would think, right? I’m sure they’ve looked at this because I agree it seems like a no brainer. My best guess is it’s mutually beneficial to package deal with the cable and stream services for the reason that many people that don’t care about sports are paying for them anyway through being packaged.

And I’d imagine if they branched out on their own, there’s concern they’d get cut from the services regular lineup and become an add on so the services could remain competitively priced to keep people like me from canceling, meaning their forced buyer market would shrink. And truthfully, even I probably cancel after football season, whereas now I’m paying for it all year round. But that’s just my two cents.

You would think, right? I’m sure they’ve looked at this because I agree it seems like a no brainer. My best guess is it’s mutually beneficial to package deal with the cable and stream services for the reason that many people that don’t care about sports are paying for them anyway through being packaged.

And I’d imagine if they branched out on their own, there’s concern they’d get cut from the services regular lineup and become an add on so the services could remain competitively priced to keep people like me from canceling, meaning their forced buyer market would shrink. And truthfully, even I probably cancel after football season, whereas now I’m paying for it all year round. But that’s just my two cents.
With all 3 major sports being up for us Vol fans, it does make a bit more sense to keep a subscription all year...but me personally, not seeing value elsewhere.

I'm pissed about YouTube TV dropping the MLB channel.
The carriage disputes are annoying as hell.. None of them seem to be able to hold onto everything and they all still force you into a bunch of content you don't care about. The scenario everybody wants - being able to pick channels a la carte - is still a pipe dream.

The carriage disputes are annoying as hell.. None of them seem to be able to hold onto everything and they all still force you into a bunch of content you don't care about. The scenario everybody wants - being able to pick channels a la carte - is still a pipe dream.
I wouldn't even call it a pipe dream. There's too many TV networks that also have stake in other networks. They aren't going to give you X without also giving you Y.

But every time I'm fed up with streaming prices and go to Comcast or DirecTV to check prices, I see that they're WAY worse.
No doubt about it. The timing is just bad and it's obvious that they think everybody will just eat it and smile because their DVRs are filled with episodes of Yellowstone or something.

Sucks about the price increase. Any of y’all get the multi view on YouTubeTV? Showing all 4 games. Pretty cool.

Is youtube the best streaming service? I want one streaming service I don't want 2, 3, or 4 just one.

Is youtube the best streaming service? I want one streaming service I don't want 2, 3, or 4 just one.
Even with the increase to $72/mo, YoutubeTV is the best one I've tried (been on Sling, Hulu Live and DirecTV Stream also) . . . if you can do without MLB Network and BallySports. If you need those, DirecTV Stream is your only option for about $25 more per month.

Reactions: StarRaider
I pay for the youtubeTV 4K add on because it gives me more streams, and that’s decreasing by $10 so my bill will actually go down a couple bucks.
Ooo . . . hadn't thought about doing that.

Even with the increase to $72/mo, YoutubeTV is the best one I've tried (been on Sling, Hulu Live and DirecTV Stream also) . . . if you can do without MLB Network and BallySports. If you need those, DirecTV Stream is your only option for about $25 more per month.
I pay for the youtubeTV 4K add on because it gives me more streams, and that’s decreasing by $10 so my bill will actually go down a couple bucks.

yeah i like the price and like youtube tv. I have noticed youtube TV streams a lot better than other streaming services.

i also have 4k on youtube tv how is that going to save me 10 dollars a month?

Is it just improved/ smoother streaming, or is this additional content?

Reactions: Buddr
But every time I'm fed up with streaming prices and go to Comcast or DirecTV to check prices, I see that they're WAY worse.
When we left DirecTV in 2020 for YouTube Tv we were paying around $130.00 a month.

I'm currently paying less than $100.00 a month for YTTV, Disney+ (w/Hulu & ESPN+) and Discovery+ combined.

On top of that I also pay a one time yearly payment combined of $185.00 for the Paramount+ and the Frndly streaming service.

Might switch back to SlingTV. Basically the same price but they have MLB when you add the Sports package.
I've been doing a lot of investigation lately, and for a sports fan, it seems like Orange + Sports pkg seems to be the best. $40+$11=$51 to have ESPN/SEC network.

Reactions: StarRaider
340888462_733525321834971_3476262409070329423_n.jpg

VN Store

Back