The Ultimate Cord Cutting Guide (merged)

Here’s what I did. Used to have Dish. Cancelled them. Rigged outdoor antenna on pole dish used to be on. Was already wired to existing tv’s. Used an app to point it in the correct direction. Instant network channels.

I think we're going to drop directv next week. Finally have fiber. Posting so I can find this thread again. Lot's of good info, thanks all.

For serious Cord Cutters only, Kodi update.

If you remember the old Kodi media player and the crap streams that stuttered and buffered then stopped in the middle of your program, that is a thing of the past. Beginning with Kodi 18 a few years ago the new UI is fast and reliable and STILL with no ads. Searches are lighting fast and up to 4K streams load quickly with no buffering. There's just one catch.... the free links are dead, you will need a premium service like Real-Debrid BUT subscriptions are only $3/month to unlock the world of Netflix, Hulu, Prime/Disney/Paramount etc, also classic TV and rare movies are all hosted on the Debrid servers. And maybe the best feature is Debrid acts as its own VPN, so you don't need a standalone service. I've been using Real Debrid for 4 years now almost daily without a single complaint from Spectrum. Now for the people that mistakenly claim this is illegal its not, and never has been.... not in the US. Searches have gone from a few bad links to dozens of fast reliable links with no buffering, this is a typical search for popular films.

Screenshot 2023-12-23 134055.png

Kodi runs on Windows, Android, and MacOS. 4K Firesticks have been adapted to run Kodi efficiently and Android/Google TV is perhaps the best platform for Kodi other than Windows. Setup is a breeze with dozens of Youtube channels devoted to this media player. All you need is a Real-Debrid subscription, load your credentials into Kodi one time and you're in business.

Sports are still a weakness for Kodi since there no ad revenue to be had there's no incentive to maintain these links, however PPV events are still easy to find in 1080/720p.

Start here for more info and get ready to dump all your streaming services for this cheap alternative. www.kodi.tv

A 15 day trial on Real-Debrid is currently $3.31.

Sorry for killing this thread. Watching this silly Peacock KC/Miami stream on Kodi (free), several HD streams working on the Crew addon. #FireGoodell

How come, I feel like this is going to cost wayyyyyyyy tooo much.

I only have Hulu Live for sports, wife watches Netflix, kids watch Disney+, our local news has free apps for streaming, we don’t watch the national news, so even if I can save $10, it’s a good deal for me.

Huh? This doesn’t really change anything except for people that only have live streaming/cable for sports.
Well for people like me who already pay for YTTV if they can't work out a deal to still have the games (which means more $ from me) if I have to pay for a streaming service on top of that just for sports, which I'm sure will not be cheap, I might as well go back to cable.

Well for people like me who already pay for YTTV if they can't work out a deal to still have the games (which means more $ from me) if I have to pay for a streaming service on top of that just for sports, which I'm sure will not be cheap, I might as well go back to cable.

I mean, that’s a lot of “ifs,” but yeah I follow you. I assume this is just a cheaper alternative for people like me who don’t watch live streaming/cable regularly.

I only have Hulu Live for sports, wife watches Netflix, kids watch Disney+, our local news has free apps for streaming, we don’t watch the national news, so even if I can save $10, it’s a good deal for me.
You have to have ESPN+ to get access to this from what I see. So that is $11 a month already.
I saw where Fox and Warner will be putting some movies on it as well.
YTTV base plan already costs 73 a month.
I am anticipating this package to be between 15-20 month.
Because im lazy lets round all that up to 100 per month.
So 185, my internet is about 85 a month, my last bill for cable was 200 bucks.
For me its worth it to go back to cable because, you arent 30 seconds to a minute behind on sporting events, and you dont have to worry about buffering lag issues like you do with internet.
And I also think 15-20 is too low for what I assume this package is going to cost, I can honestly see it being 50+.
And, unless I missed something this wont carry CBS, so youll still have to pay for a second streaming service somewhere to get everything thats on there as well.

Last edited:
This is from an article about it
"While no price has been determined, a logical starting point could be $45 or $50 per month with introductory pricing lower to entice signups, according to a person familiar with the matter, who asked not to be named because the discussions around the service have been private. A second person added that even with promotional pricing, the service will cost more than $30 per month."

Reactions: WestTennesseeVol
You have to have ESPN+ to get access to this from what I see. So that is $11 a month already.
I saw where Fox and Warner will be putting some movies on it as well.
YTTV base plan already costs 73 a month.
I am anticipating this package to be between 15-20 month.
Because im lazy lets round all that up to 100 per month.
So 185, my internet is about 85 a month, my last bill for cable was 200 bucks.
For me its worth it to go back to cable because, you arent 30 seconds to a minute behind on sporting events, and you dont have to worry about buffering lag issues like you do with internet.
And I also think 15-20 is too low for what I assume this package is going to cost, I can honestly see it being 50+.
And, unless I missed something this wont carry CBS, so youll still have to pay for a second streaming service somewhere to get everything thats on there as well.

Even if it’s $50, that’s still worth it for me. When I say we only use Hulu Live for sports, I really mean we really never use it for anything else except for maybe HGTV mindlessly in the background.

With SEC moving to ABC/ESPN, I don’t have a use for CBS anymore.

Even if it’s $50, that’s still worth it for me. When I say we only use Hulu Live for sports, I really mean we really never use it for anything else except for maybe HGTV mindlessly in the background.

With SEC moving to ABC/ESPN, I don’t have a use for CBS anymore.
Masters?
College basketball? Many tournament games are on CBS
NFL?

Reactions: WestTennesseeVol
Masters?
College basketball? Many tournament games are on CBS
NFL?

Fair point with the Masters. I only really have time nowadays to watch Tennessee games, same with the NFL and Titans games, which I don’t even live in Tennessee anymore so I only get one or two non prime time games a year anyway.

Yes, I realize this is unique to me though.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards

VN Store

Back