Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about this number...Marrone has a career winning percentage hovering in the .450 range.

Just a number if you don’t care to look deeper. I have said my piece about it. If that was at UT or any high level P5 school, it’s terrible. But he had 4 years at Syracuse, which is the best run there in 22 years. He also was at two of the worst NFL franchises, where at the time, he had their best seasons in years. People just look at the surface, and that’s fine. I don’t care.

Freeze isn’t happening, and I believe Marrone is a better hire than Chadwell or Napier. He also has the ability to bring some really good coaches. It’s a Rick Barnes-type hire. Just my opinion, and I will leave it at that.

Bringing Pruitt back only sets the rebuilding process back another year. Makes zero sense.

Maronne feels like a bridge candidate and Chadwell is high risk-high reward, but still a big roll of the dice. Let him build a track record and hire him if the next guy fails.

This AD is so incompetent it’s sad. Hugh Freeze is so painfully obvious it’s frustrating. You would think the AD would be tired of hiring a new coach every few years. We are extremely lucky that Freeze is available and we are just going to piss it away. Sometimes it’s hard to support this school.

I can talk myself into Maronne or Chadwell, but it still doesn’t make sense. Hell, I would reach out to Herman before these guys.

Last edited:
Does anyone else see a problem hiring a DC before we have a new HC? if I'm a coach, I wanna hire my own DC. It Doesnt make sense he would come in as a DC. Looks like Fulmer is calling the shot tho with a Steele hire.

Reactions: UTwild82
I love freeze but there’s a lot of risk there, much much more than you are acting like. The majority of the fondness for him is because he won two meaningless games against Alabama. It’s still very impressive but there’s more to it.

You also don’t need to have recruited well in the sec before being hired in order to infect recruit well. It’s been proven time and time again.

I could also make the argument that winning nfl playoff games (or really any games) with Blake bortles or Gardner minshew is more impressive than anything any other realistic candidate has done.

What is the risk of Freeze? If he doesn’t act right just fire him with cause. He is by far the lowest risk of any candidate. He has won everywhere and would definitely win at UT. He is the only candidate that rivals would be worried of us hiring.

#1 Steele comes on in an "off the field" role. Pruitt is retained, fired next year, and Steele takes over as HC.

#2 Steele comes on in "off the field" role, Pruitt is fired later this week. Tennessee conducts a search. No one wants the job and Steele is promoted to HC.

#3 Steele comes on in "off the field" role, and is promoted to DC for some other HC not named Pruitt. Likely Marrone or someone worse like Chadwell.

It will be one of the above scenarios, with one of the first two being the most likely and my money is on #1.

Excellent post. Almost gaurantee that this will happen as well. Steele has been talked about to Tennessee for several years

Does anyone else see a problem hiring a DC before we have a new HC? if I'm a coach, I wanna hire my own DC. It Doesnt make sense he would come in as a DC. Looks like Fulmer is calling the shot tho with a Steele hire.

Maybe a young coach like Chadwell will have the option to hire him as a DC or keep him in an analyst role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back