'20 Recruiting Forum: Official Kentucky Pregame/Game Thread

If we had a QB we would be fine. JG lost us this game. I'm not saying everything else was perfect or that there aren't other problems, but the fact is, QB is the biggest issue. He has to fix the problem there, and he has to do it asap.
Once you spot a team 14-17 points, like what happened when JG turned over the ball in the last two games, it defeats a team. I was proud that our defense was so sturdy for so long in the Georgia game, but it just becomes so disheartening. Nobody is saying that you can't ever turn over the ball or you MUST be perfect all all times, but certainly you can't have a meltdown when you make a mistake. if JG screws up, then he needs to go out because he loses his freaking mind. We've watched this happen over and over and over again.

Coach is fine? 10 SEC games where hes been beat by 21+ or more...and those games arent just against UGA, Bama, and UF....its also against Vandy, Mizzou and UK.

It's year 3...unacceptable.
Folks said the same about Butch and Dooley. Today was simply unacceptable in year 3. No more excuses for that performance.

Reactions: I4Jay and Jwbvol
I have to believe Pruitt likes JG because he wants a QB who can get the offense in and out of sets and looks as the coaches call them. And he’s the best at that by a mile on this roster.

Pruitt prioritizes security and conservatism more than anything out of his offense - and that’s why JG only ever gets pulled if it’s turnover related. We’ve seen him play like **** - but if he isn’t turning the ball over they’ll let him roll.

They’re either asking the QB to do too much or Pruitt is overbearing and putting a governor on the offense.

I have to believe Pruitt likes JG because he wants a QB who can get the offense in and out of sets and looks as the coaches call them. And he’s the best at that by a mile on this roster.

Pruitt prioritizes security and conservatism more than anything out of his offense - and that’s why JG only ever gets pulled if it’s turnover related. We’ve seen him play like **** - but if he isn’t turning the ball over they’ll let him roll.

They’re either asking the QB to do too much or Pruitt is overbearing and putting a governor on the offense.
Ironically his desire to play conservatively is beating him because his conservative QB is a turnover machine

If I’m coach, I’m starting HB. Let the kid learn on the fly. May not be pretty at first but once he settles in and gets used to the game speed, it may “Click” sooner rather than later.

I mean, what could it hurt? Barring injury, he may turn some heads. Only problem is, you’d have to simplify the offense so much that defenses could pick up on some things.
From all the talk today simplifying the offense is necessary anyways. I agree. Let’s roll with HB.

Just got back from a wonderful hike with grandson. DVR'd game....fixing to push play, what should I do....asking for a tired grandpaw ?

Pruitt may be conservative (I don't see that at all), but our passers under Chaney have never been conservative lol. JG and Maurer have had near the highest ADOTs the past couple years. They are PUSHING the dang ball downfield... even noted today what we did vs uga pushing it downfield. But for the last 1.5 years JG's been throwing picks too often. More middle and fewer PA passes and JG has shrunken in that role. Maurer turns it over too. Shrout did today, but that was his first.

Who knows who starts vs Bama, but anyone should be given a chance.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
I’ve never thought JG was a threat to consistently and accurately their balls 20+ yards. Which isn’t the end of the world a lot of QBs aren’t which is why i put more of the blame for these last two on Chaney and Especially our OL than i do JG. JG is what is he is at this point. I mean didn’t anyone truly in their minds not heart think he was going to be THAT much better this year? The guy has had 4 different offenses and hasn’t really popped in any of them. Props to Tyson Helton because he did a pretty good job of masking Jg and basically asked him to do nothing. To me our game plans have smelled of arrogance imo. Chaney is calling an offense like we have Tyler bray back there and like this OL has been an elite unit. You will not win that way. This is why i thought Maurer was our best option at QB if he could stay healthy because we really ran a totally different offense for him that was full of RPOs and quick reads. He may not be the better player but I thought he was better for our team
It does seem like Chaney hasn't realized his QB and OL aren't performing.

I've always thought Chaney is an elite OC if he has elite talent, but not capable of elevating bad talent.

Reactions: Devo182
Your perception of average seems really off. Your forget most teams would like a better QB. Almost every single one complains about their QB.

Dobbs had the best QBR in the league in 2016 and ran all over the place and yet fans couldn't wait to have a "true passing QB". Other years, Dobbs was top 6-8 in the SEC (best defensive conference by a mile). Bray was top 5. JG has been top half the last 2 years.

It's easy to think of only our own unhappiness with our QB, but MOST teams are unhappy with their QB. And a couple of SEC teams fine with their QB also have crazy amounts of talent (bama and uga recently)...to no surprise almost any QB could succeed.
I watch a LOT of college football, and it's been years since I've seen our QB consistently make throws that most other P5 QBs can make. Dobbs was average because he was an elite athlete, but 95% of his completions were within 5 yards of the LOS.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
When your QB and your OL aren't performing it doesn't really matter what you call though.
You can call plays that mask weaknesses. Arkansas OC is a great example, Franks sucks and their OL isn't good, but the OC is getting the most out of them. Chaney is not getting the most out of his unit, imo

Reactions: kamoshika
Well I've waited to calm down and digest this game but I've thrown up. It's one of the worst performances that I can remember. I said it last year after GA State and BYU that he wasn't ready for this job. He changed my mind the way we competed the rest of the way. I've reverted back that he's not ready and the learning curve is too great. If recruiting starts to fall off, it's the beginning of the end. He's not going anywhere this year but if next year is similar to the disaster this year is going to be, he's probably gone. I love coach Pruitt but my confidence that he can be a successful head coach is dwindling.

But having said that, if you're going unproven, bargain basement hire, may as well keep him. At least if you're going to suck, you've got a decent man at the helm.

Must be something about the number 2. Matt Corral just threw a pick 6 for Ole Miss. 5 int today

You can call plays that mask weaknesses. Arkansas OC is a great example, Franks sucks and their OL isn't good, but the OC is getting the most out of them. Chaney is not getting the most out of his unit, imo
Arkansas’ OC is Briles, right? We’re pretty sure Pruitt wanted him and Yurcich before Chaney, aren’t we?

Reactions: Volsdeep4

VN Store

Back