'20 Recruiting Forum: Official Kentucky Pregame/Game Thread

Most painful part about today was you could see players start to give up. That hurt. And I want to be mad at them for it, but I can't when you have a coach showing loyalty to a QB that continues to hurt you on the field.

That frustrates the hell out of me.
I'm convinced the defense gave up because of the offense. The defense is good when they want to be. They didn't even look tired. They looked like they had no leadership and no hope due to JG

Reactions: theutvolunteers
Mond has never set the woods on fire. But he just did what JG has refused to do. Normal shotgun drop with an outside rusher coming around the RT, Mond senses it and steps up two step, delivers the pass to the guy sitting down over the middle for a nice gain. You know, normal QB stuff.

We can't change coaches again-- this is what we are stuck with for a few years. I'm praying that when we get a different quarterback that things will look better.
If we had a QB we would be fine. JG lost us this game. I'm not saying everything else was perfect or that there aren't other problems, but the fact is, QB is the biggest issue. He has to fix the problem there, and he has to do it asap.

Imo the mythical "know how to win" talk is BS. Sure, maybe a SMALL bit of margin is being experienced in tight situations...but "experienced" usually just means you are better than the opponent. That is the correlation, not some seasoned experience in close games. Kids won in youth ball, won in HS...come into college and go 5-7...did they forget how to "learn to win". Don't think so. Making plays is making plays. I've never seen players "learn" how to be clutch.

But losing by 3+ TDs in b2b games has nothing to do with it. These aren't close games. Not attacking ya Marco, just discussing 😁 and not very happy after that game

It’s bs. Don’t listen to that. That’s something butch would say. If we’re in close games and not really executing a 2 min drill or having time management issues that’s learning how to win and close out games.... I’ll buy that. We are just not being prepared to win and we have a lot of guys who are not living up to their recruiting rankings and coaches who aren’t doin enough schematically.

Mond has never set the woods on fire. But he just did what JG has refused to do. Normal shotgun drop with an outside rusher coming around the RT, Mond senses it and steps up two step, delivers the pass to the guy sitting down over the middle for a nice gain. You know, normal QB stuff.

Don’t talk dirty to me.

Arkansas goes from 2-10 ineptitude for two consecutive seasons and in less than one year, it shows signs of life and competence with a less talented roster than UT.
Props to Pittman. I thought that was a terrible hire but they love him down there and would run through a wall for him. That’s really the most important thing for a coach

Reactions: Vols4us
We haven't had an above average QB in a decade I think? Dobbs was an excellent rb with OK throwing ability I guess. Just don't get why it's so hard to have just an average QB at Tennessee.
Your perception of average seems really off. Your forget most teams would like a better QB. Almost every single one complains about their QB.

Dobbs had the best QBR in the league in 2016 and ran all over the place and yet fans couldn't wait to have a "true passing QB". Other years, Dobbs was top 6-8 in the SEC (best defensive conference by a mile). Bray was top 5. JG has been top half the last 2 years.

It's easy to think of only our own unhappiness with our QB, but MOST teams are unhappy with their QB. And a couple of SEC teams fine with their QB also have crazy amounts of talent (bama and uga recently)...to no surprise almost any QB could succeed.

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
If we had a QB we would be fine. JG lost us this game. I'm not saying everything else was perfect or that there aren't other problems, but the fact is, QB is the biggest issue. He has to fix the problem there, and he has to do it asap.

Agree. It always starts and ends with the QB. He sets the tone for entire team's play. If he plays well the D gets rest and keeps their focus. We have enough talent and experience on D to be mid-peer SEC if they don't have to play most of the game every week.

It is amazing how 1 position is crippling this team. CJP refuses to publicly acknowledge this. Chaney is handcuffed. I would rather have a simplified offense that is executed perfectly, than an expanded offense that gets you nothing.

Is he tho? Vanderbilt, GA State, BYU, UK, several blowouts..... i honestly don’t know if he is or not
Surprisingly, there seems to be a motivational issue. We lost those games you listed because we’re flat — or our gameplans are too basic and we can’t adjust.

Do you think the QB issue is fixable?

JG is below average. Shrout and Maurer must be absolute ass.

We don’t know about Bailey but I’m skeptical a true freshman is going to do well in an all SEC format. Especially with our turnstiles at tackle.

Your perception of average seems really off. Your forget most teams would like a better QB. Almost every single one complains about their QB.

Dobbs had the best QBR in the league in 2016 and ran all over the place and yet fans couldn't wait to have a "true passing QB". Other years, Dobbs was top 6-8 in the SEC (best defensive conference by a mile). Bray was top 5. JG has been top half the last 2 years.

It's easy to think of only our own unhappiness with our QB, but MOST teams are unhappy with their QB. And a couple of SEC teams fine with their QB also have crazy amounts of talent (bama and uga recently)...to no surprise almost any QB could succeed.
Even after the last two games you are still on the JG train. I have no words.

The coach is fine.

OC has had a **** year,

JG is done.
Coach is fine? 10 SEC games where hes been beat by 21+ or more...and those games arent just against UGA, Bama, and UF....its also against Vandy, Mizzou and UK.

It's year 3...unacceptable.

Do you think the QB issue is fixable?

JG is below average. Shrout and Maurer must be absolute ass.

We don’t know about Bailey but I’m skeptical a true freshman is going to do well in an all SEC format. Especially with our turnstiles at tackle.
Not this year, no. It should have been. We should have brought in a transfer. We should have been in conversation with every transfer on the market. Every fan knew that JG was terrible. But Pruitt went into this year with JG as his guy. That's his fault.

He has to fix it in the offseason. He needs to fire Weinke, step one. He needs to hire someone who can actually develop QB's. A proven guy. I'd rather him hire a new OC who has QB coaching responsibilities and take care of two major problems. Bring in a transfer this offseason, a good one, whatever it takes! Let him compete with Bailey and Salter for the starting job. That's the only option at this point.

We should have been after Burrow, Fields, Daniels, King, Eason, or any other top QB transfer and we haven't been. That's on our coaching staff. I don't understand their commitment to the worst QB to ever play at Tennessee.

We should be as good as AM.

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
Not this year, no. It should have been. We should have brought in a transfer. We should have been in conversation with every transfer on the market. Every fan knew that JG was terrible. But Pruitt went into this year with JG as his guy. That's his fault.

He has to fix it in the offseason. He needs to fire Weinke, step one. He needs to hire someone who can actually develop QB's. A proven guy. I'd rather him hire a new OC who has QB coaching responsibilities and take care of two major problems. Bring in a transfer this offseason, a good one, whatever it takes! Let him compete with Bailey and Salter for the starting job. That's the only option at this point.

We should have been after Burrow, Fields, Daniels, King, Eason, or any other top QB transfer and we haven't been. That's on our coaching staff. I don't understand their commitment to the worst QB to ever play at Tennessee.
Yeah, it’s very confusing.

JG is one of the most confounding players I’ve seen in my time at UT. Most players are either good or bad. He has the most fluctuation of anyone I’ve ever seen.

VN Store

Back