'20 Recruiting Forum: Official Kentucky Pregame/Game Thread

i think calling dobbs an average college QB is an extreme insult. He was asked to do more than any QB we’ve ever had here and played behind poor OLs. I think he’s probably the 3rd best modern QB we’ve had here (Manning and Shuler) when you factor in the coaches he had, what he meant to the offense, what he was asked to do, and how productive he was. I think if you put him on some of the early 2000s team... we have at least a couple SEC titles and probably a natty.

I loved watching Dobbs, but he did have trouble throwing certain passes. He was much better his senior year. The 2015 OL was good and 2016 was sufficient. I agree that he could have won titles with some of our earlier defenses though.

I've ignored the signs in the past, we all have. Most cane name name a specific point where they knew down deep the coach wasn't going to make it. This just isn't about getting blown out in Neyland by KY for the first time in over 30 years by KY in your 3rd year. It's also about BYU and GA State. It's about being completely c collapsing. It's about repeating the same mistakes.

I seriously hope me makes it but give him very little chance at thus point. I said last week, every game left would be a struggle to win. I still believe that. I think winning 2 more games is probably about the ceiling for this team. I've already moved on from this season.

Beyond this season depends on recruiting. Does the class fall apart? Realistically, the staff will be fortunate to hold it together, IMO. If recruiting falls off we'll be witnessing the beginning of the end.

As I've said many times, I love the guy. I hope he succeeds.

There has been one common denominator.

Enjoy the game today? Still believe in your team? Luck has nothing to do with it.

There’s no team that I can remember that has had this kind of bad luck at QB, HC, OC, and DC. Usually teams get at least one right and Tennessee hasn’t, at all. So why folks get so sideways about it at this point is beyond me. Hell, we can’t even get one when we controlled the outcome..

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I loved watching Dobbs, but he did have trouble throwing certain passes. He was much better his senior year. The 2015 OL was good and 2016 was sufficient. I agree that he could have won titles with some of our earlier defenses though.
Oh for sure. He was no where near an elite passer but you don’t have to be in college

Oh for sure. He was no where near an elite passer but you don’t have to be in college
What passes HB did throw yesterday were darts. I love his arm talent. Plus he looks good standing in the pocket because he’s not dancing around scared.

What passes HB did throw yesterday were darts. I love his arm talent. Plus he looks good standing in the pocket because he’s not dancing around scared.

HBs throwing mechanics and posture look very similar to Sam Darnold imo. They both push the ball a little bit so they lose a little velo but it gives them a nice arm angle and trajectory for passes that need some touch or lift like that one he completed to MW.

Obviously that comparison is solely based on how they look throwing the ball, i think Sam Is a great qb who is in an impossible situation with the football version of buzz Peterson as coach. Someone get an absolute steal in darnold on the trade market this year. My guess is the colts or falcons.

i think calling dobbs an average college QB is an extreme insult. He was asked to do more than any QB we’ve ever had here and played behind poor OLs. I think he’s probably the 3rd best modern QB we’ve had here (Manning and Shuler) when you factor in the coaches he had, what he meant to the offense, what he was asked to do, and how productive he was. I think if you put him on some of the early 2000s team... we have at least a couple SEC titles and probably a natty.
I just don't see it. He was an elite, incredible athlete who saved our program from entering a horrific low. Almost all our past QBs would have performed worse in his situation than he did. We needed someone who could not just run for his life almost every play, but turn it into positive yardage. Manning would have died in Dobbs place. That doesn't make Dobbs better than Manning as a QB, only better in that situation. He was not a good passer, he was a runner who could throw some short passes decently well. I'd take Clausen and Martin and Ainge over him all day every day on a normal team that with a decent OL and decent coaches. JMO

Guess you didn't watch much Dobbs. His sr year he averaged 13 yards per completion. No way his air yards% was like 35% lol. Even going by adot, there's no starter in the entire league averaging below 6.4 yards average depth of targets. To say 95% of his passes were 0-5 yards is just absurd.

Average QBs don't get drafted either.
95% was hyperbole, but not by much. I watched every game Dobbs played. Few completions were beyond 5 yards. Most of his yards were YAC.

And there are plenty of bad QBs who get drafted, that's a poor argument. His total lack of success in the NFL is evidence dory argument, not against it. He was an elite athlete, below average passer. We needed an elite athlete more than a passer for the years he was here. But he could not consistently make all the throws the average P5 QB could make.

I just don't see it. He was an elite, incredible athlete who saved our program from entering a horrific low. Almost all our past QBs would have performed worse in his situation than he did. We needed someone who could not just run for his life almost every play, but turn it into positive yardage. Manning would have died in Dobbs place. That doesn't make Dobbs better than Manning as a QB, only better in that situation. He was not a good passer, he was a runner who could throw some short passes decently well. I'd take Clausen and Martin and Ainge over him all day every day on a normal team that with a decent OL and decent coaches. JMO
I see where you're coming from. Although, remember how well he passed the ball as soon as he started playing preseason games with the Steelers. Who knows how much better he would have been in a competent offense.

Even in this current offense!

I've ignored the signs in the past, we all have. Most can name a specific point where they knew down deep the coach wasn't going to make it. This just isn't about getting blown out in Neyland by KY for the first time in over 30 years in your 3rd year. It's also about BYU and GA State. It's about being completely c collapsing. It's about repeating the same mistakes.

I seriously hope he makes it but give him very little chance at this point. I said last week, every game left would be a struggle to win. I still believe that. I think winning 2 more games is probably about the ceiling for this team. I've already moved on from this season.

Beyond this season depends on recruiting. Does the class fall apart? Realistically, the staff will be fortunate to hold it together, IMO. If recruiting falls off we'll be witnessing the beginning of the end.

I am back to the point of watching the season play out like last year and then decide. I had moved to the point where I thought we were moving in the right direction and he was the right guy but it would take time. I thought we were starting to beat the teams we should beat. Losing to Kentucky would not have had me step back to where I was after Georgia State last year. But getting killed and seeing and feeling what was going on in that stadium yesterday did. I am a little ahead of where I was after the shocking GS loss last year because of the 8 games. But losing like that has me not questioning if he can get it done. Will tell you more once the season is over AND we see what he can do with this year's class.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I've ignored the signs in the past, we all have. Most can name a specific point where they knew down deep the coach wasn't going to make it. This just isn't about getting blown out in Neyland by KY for the first time in over 30 years in your 3rd year. It's also about BYU and GA State. It's about being completely c collapsing. It's about repeating the same mistakes.

I seriously hope he makes it but give him very little chance at this point. I said last week, every game left would be a struggle to win. I still believe that. I think winning 2 more games is probably about the ceiling for this team. I've already moved on from this season.

This is the exact problem with head scratching losses like this. In year 3 of a rebuild you can no longer sell hope. You have to show some results. These results show regression or lack of preparedness. They show lack of development. You can’t recruit well to these issues. It’s a major problem.

Do you think drew Brees is good because he literally doesn’t throw it past 10 yards

We are a decent QB from 3-1 or even 4-0. Shrout wasn't the answer, and while Maurer might be, he got broken and apparently never recovered. HB was simply too far behind to be successful. So you try real hard to be successful with JG. I get it. But now that it is clear that JG can't be successful, can you patch together an offense with a super green frosh? If they can, we might still finish with 6 wins. If not, we get 4 and Pruitt's seat will be quite warm next year.

Do you think drew Brees is good because he literally doesn’t throw it past 10 yards
1. He throws downfield more than Dobbs did, but your argument in spirit is a good one.
2. He has a 70+% completion percentage, compared to low 60/high 50% for Dobbs. It's fine to only throw short passes (although I'd still contend Brees goes deep/intermediate significantly more and more successfully than Dobbs ever did, though admittedly less than the average NFL QB), but you better complete a lot more of them than Dobbs did to be considered elite. JMO

VN Store

Back