Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about how incredibly intelligent our defensive line was last year. I never heard about anyone not knowing how to line up. Kyle Phillips, Alexis Johnson, and Shy Tuttle were in their first year of Pruitt’s system. I wonder who taught them how to line up. Then we had Emmit Gooden who had just arrived on campus from his starring role in Last Chance U. I didn’t hear of any problems. Even guys who played sparingly last year like Butler, Mincey, et. al., not a peep. Of course no one would have expected any issues with Paul Bain. That goes without saying. I wonder what happened this year.

I’ve heard last Saturday described as an epic loss, in the class of the Michigan loss to Appy State in 2007. In 2007 that was the first game of the year for both teams and it was played in the Big House. Michigan, we’re sometimes reminded, went on to have a relatively decent season, sort of. They were ranked #5 in the preseason poll for big boys and Appy was ranked #1 in the early poll for the little boys. In the immediate aftermath of the game Michigan fell completely out of the rankings. Michigan’s second game, also on their home field, was against our beloved friends, the Oregon Ducks. Michigan lost again, 39-7.

From there Michigan would go on an 8 game winning streak climbing back as high as #15 in the poll before dropping their last 2 and disappearing again. They were invited to the Citrus Bowl for a matchup with Urban Meyer’s #9 ranked Florida Gators and newly minted Heisman trophy winner Tim Tebow. They beat the Gators and carried Lloyd Carr off the field as he had announced in November that that season, 2007, his 13th as the head coach at Michigan, would be his last year. His 5th year offensive coordinator was our own lovable grandpa, Mike Debord. Michigan was rewarded for the victory over Florida with a season ending ranking of #18. 2007 would be the 3rd consecutive year that Appy state won the FCS national championship.

Most people, especially outside of Michigan, don’t remember much about that 2007 Michigan team. They just remember that they lost to Appy State. They may not even know that Appy state in those days was the “Alabama” of the FCS league. The game between those two has its own wiki page. It’s listed among the historically significant games of college football.

We’re not 2007 Michigan and Georgia State isn’t 2007 Appy State. So far our game doesn’t appear to even have a wiki page. I sort of doubt the game turns out to be historically significant to the college football landscape. I also doubt we’re going to see our players carrying our head coach from the field but we can still hope that we might yet be able to beat the Gators this season. On second thought, never mind; that was just a passing thought. jmo.
Good post as always, Chatt.

I suppose what we don’t know - when comparing us to ‘07 Michigan - is what the ceiling on this team was before Saturday. Most of us settled around 7 to 8 wins - the more pessimistic of us settled around 5 or 6. Let’s split the difference and say 6.5 - right where Vegas had this team pegged. Losing a gimme might be the difference in making the postseason. Which, in turn, will crumble any idea we had of this recruiting class being the elite one that helps us truly turn the corner.

And if we’re being honest, the comparison to that Michigan team doesn’t hold very much weight because that team was projected to be very good. We were not. What we don’t know is if that helps or hurts in the recovery from the devastation of losing to GSU/Appy State. Can we bounce back easier because we didn’t have such high aspirations? Or do we crumble because that’s what we’re used to doing?

Was Michigan more prepared to deal with that disappointment better because they had a really talented and experienced team that was expected to compete for a national title? Or was it tougher to deal with because of all those things?

Did the players at Michigan take to coaching better because they trusted Lloyd Carr and his resume to guide them through it? Or had his message gone stale? Vice versa for Pruitt in our situation? Will they listen to him because he’s a new HC selling a fresh message? Or will they tune him out and figure he doesn’t know what he’s talking about and he’s in over his head because he’s so new?

Just some things to ponder as we move forward.

Reactions: drvenner
Welp the brief optimism I had yesterday has completely eroded away. Practice clips being what they are, still managed to show me a lethargic, sissy team outside of a few.

BYU is going to embarrass us aren’t they.

Troy went 11-2 that year. Way way way better team than Ga State
When a G5 school upsets their power 5 school the rest of their schedule doesnt look that bad. I know GSU was bad last year but they might be 9-3 this year.

Troy wasnt exactly a power house that year. They were a good team and I think Neil Brown is a good coach but they had a lot of close wins over bad teams.

Reactions: Devo182
Wait...so there was more social media non sense? Please someone get me up to speed
Fans were more than idiots and the players stupidly retaliate. Then Murphy is on a completely different level of moron than the fans

Troy went 11-2 that year. Way way way better team than Ga State

Unless Ga State goes 11-2 this season. You can't look at what Troy did that year, but then counter with what Ga State's record was -last- season. Granted the 11-2 Troy team was 10-3 the year prior, so there is that.

Also LSU that season was 3-1 going into Troy, and had played and beat BYU and Chattanooga before losing to Troy.

Unless Ga State goes 11-2 this season. You can't look at what Troy did that year, but then counter with what Ga State's record was -last- season. Granted the 11-2 Troy team was 10-3 the year prior, so there is that.

Also LSU that season was 3-1 going into Troy, and had played and beat BYU and Chattanooga before losing to Troy.

Yea we have see what ga state does this year but imo they ain’t winning 11

Welp the brief optimism I had yesterday has completely eroded away. Practice clips being what they are, still managed to show me a lethargic, sissy team outside of a few.

BYU is going to embarrass us aren’t they.
We’ll probably know within the first two drives.

Why did Garland get so many snaps Saturday? Is that how Pruitt lured him into staying? Promised more playing time no matter if he deserved it or not? If so, we are really in trouble, because that means Pruitt is already letting the inmates run the asylum.

Garland did not play bad in the game. He actually got some penetration. He was pushing for starting time last year and got injured I believe.

If @Freak (Frank) would upload the game video I’d be able to actually see how well some of our Defensive Lineman did....

Garland did not play bad in the game. He actually got some penetration. He was pushing for starting time last year and got injured I believe.
that's not the point.

the kid didn't fully participate in fall camp, entered the transfer portal and he got more PT than others that had been a full participant.

and the only reason he got as many reps as he did was to just get reps to hopefully develop him some so he could be utilized later on in the season.

in merit, i don't have an issue with that. but there's a way you do that, while not also putting the rest of the team in really bad spot.

not picking solely on KG here, cause he wasn't the only one that got a lot of reps that may be shouldn't have.

and keep in mind, i'm not mad about the # of reps. i do question the timing of them.

siap yesterday....decide what you're going to do, do it well, beat GSU in the 1st half and then play whoever you want the rest of the game.

the way they managed the game, they actually wound up taking reps away from other offensive players (qb's in particular) that could have used game reps.

it was a huge mistake the way they managed the personnel for that game......and i wouldn't be totally surprised if this was the way they wanted to make a point to some of the players on the team. put it on film and then you can't hide.

they never thought they'd lose though.

so everybody gets to learn i guess. the hard way. as usual.

There's a feeling around UT right now that UT is better when Tennessee people are in charge. That's why Fulmer was named AD, why Charlie Anderson chairs the athletics committee, why Randy Boyd is serving as interim president without taking a salary and why the hope was that Brian Noland would be chancellor. It's why Kara Lawson was appointed to the board, why Kellie Harper was hired to restore WBB, why Tee was brought in as assistant head coach and why Peyton remains very involved. These people care deeply about UT and the tradition of UT athletics. UT is better when UT is winning-- and these people are winners.

Much of the havoc of the past decade was too many people trying to push different personal agendas. So UT has been circling the wagons. It's why Charlie was at practice, why former players are helping current players and why our former HC is looking for solutions alongside the current one. What UT is not going to do right now is discard people without trying to help them... or go outside the program to do it. People who care are going to help this staff and this team be better.

I won't be posting much anymore, but I just wanted to reiterate that for anyone who's interested or cares. Go Vols!

There's a feeling around UT right now that UT is better when Tennessee people are in charge. That's why Fulmer was named AD, why Charlie Anderson chairs the athletics committee, why Randy Boyd is serving as interim president without taking a salary and why the hope was that Brian Noland would be chancellor. It's why Kara Lawson was appointed to the board, why Kellie Harper was hired to restore WBB, why Tee was brought in as assistant head coach and why Peyton remains very involved. These people care deeply about UT and the tradition of UT athletics. UT is better when UT is winning-- and these people are winners.

Much of the havoc of the past decade was too many people trying to push different personal agendas. So UT has been circling the wagons. It's why Charlie was at practice, why former players are helping current players and why our former HC is looking for solutions alongside the current one. What UT is not going to do right now is discard people without trying to help them... or go outside the program to do it. People who care are going to help this staff and this team be better.

I won't be posting much anymore, but I just wanted to reiterate that for anyone who's interested or cares. Go Vols!
you should keep posting. always enjoy your insights. hope you stick around.

If @Freak (Frank) would upload the game video I’d be able to actually see how well some of our Defensive Lineman did....
We're one loss away from this website becoming Frank's Hot Yoga Emporium.

1) no one is talking about firing Pruitt at 5-7. That’s ridiculous.

2) Clemson “stuck with” Dabo? He never missed a bowl game and won the division in his second season.

Pretty sure Dabo has said himself that he thought he was going to be fired after his second full season. He went 6-6, lost big to USC, and then lost the bowl game. The AD called him in, and Dabo was preparing for it, but he gave him a vote of confidence. Now, your facts are correct, but by his own admission, I think Dabo would even say they "stuck" with him.

Why?

Pretty sure Dabo has said himself that he thought he was going to be fired after his second full season. He went 6-6, lost big to USC, and then lost the bowl game. The AD called him in, and Dabo was preparing for it, but he gave him a vote of confidence. Now, your facts are correct, but by his own admission, I think Dabo would even say they "stuck" with him.
fans were done with Dabo after that WVU 70 point beat down... the continued losses to USCe and FSU....."clemsoning" was real, and it was on Dabo's watch.

many Clemson fans were ready to jetison him for something new and shiny that could win the big games.....

they look silly now, but yeah, at the time, there was real tension there.

Reactions: OrangenSC
You’re correct

Reactions: OrangenSC
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back