Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
just going on about the reaction to the game vs. the overall perception of the TN program, and how those two things don't necessarily mesh.

basically saying this is the result of much bigger problems this program has had for more than a decade. and we're still playing catch up.

he doesn't blame fans for being upset/angry, and commends fans for the most part for sticking with TN with little reason to do so from a results standpoint. but did say that fans' perception of TN is whollly different from what it actually is.....that being a program that has consistently lost to not just the top of the league, but the middle and bottom of it.

brought up the vandy record as exhibit a.

doesn't mean that TN shouldn't beat a GA ST type program, but the expectations for the program today vs. what the standard has been for most of it's history are in two different places....and fans have had a hard time reconciling the two...which just adds to the angst.

also said that while there's been a lot of talk about the players, its not all on them. it's on everybody, and it's going to take everybody to get it back. doesn't think there's anyting to worry about for pruitt getting fired, but did acknowledge that if it goes really South this season, it'd be hard to not have that conversation about blowing it up and starting over.....

said he really won't be surprised if they come out and play well and win Saturday night, and said they'd be wise to do so, because losing Saturday makes finding W's later on in the schedule really, really difficult....couuld be staring a 1-6 start in the face.

it didn't have a negative tone, just kind of "matter of fact". nothing really new or anything, and far from anything that hasn't already been discussed here. just nicely summarized by a guy that has a vested interest in TN, as well as a national perspective to work from. and it was nice to hear someone acknowledge the fans in this whole freakin' ordeal as not being part of the problem for once.
I HATE having to start every post with a disclaimer but if we don't, some clown...

[Yes, there is no excuse for losing to GS] Now, I haven't fired up the fahr wagon yet. As stupid as it was to believe we could overlook anyone to the point they did Saturday, there's still a path for JP to at least stabilize this mess.

With the teams he's been a part of, I just don't think he was even able to comprehend that a P5 team with 4 and 5 stars was capable of losing. Stupid, stupid mistake but hopefully they actually have game plans meant for beating the opponents from here on out.

Then why are they still here?

Recruiting limits, but I think during this season/after you'll see them purge more of the swamp (so to speak). It's one reason I believe they've taken so many PWOs.

Ya have to be enrolled here a year before you can go on scholarship as a PWO I believe (someone can confirm that @Devo182 ?) So basically you want to hold 85 going into each season, but you can only add 25 (roughly) with scholarships. If you dip to 80 scholarships you can't just hand out 5 to new enrollees though...so what I believe may happen is you'll see a lot of the PWOs from this year on scholarship next season, assuming they stay with the program and earn some PT.

I just looked at the numbers based on the 2019 Roster on UT Sports.

47 are Upper Classmen, 9 are Pruitt transfers/JuCo. So in Year 2 he's down to just 38 Butch Jones players. Of that 38 only 31 are on scholarship, and that's still counting Baylen (another secondary starter we were missing Saturday).

So he's got roughly 31 hold overs, Bailey is already in the portal and I have a feeling Murphy will be gone sooner rather than later as well. Then you'll have graduation for 9 Butch guys of that 31, so starting next season just 21 of the returning upper classman (some RS-JRs or JRs could leave still of that 21) that were Butch Jones kids.

Meaning in Year 3 it'll be essentially all Pruitt guys, the grey area is the RS-So, but I feel like they've had 2 years with Pruitt and are more bought in with his culture already.

Last edited:
yeah, i personally don't have a problem with the occasional "attention getter". i believe before you can get mad about something, you have to care about it first. otherwise, you're just apathetic.

but i think pruitt knows this team is probably pretty fragile right now, and being all fire and brimstone may not be the best course of action. he needs this team to rally around something. and going all in on 'whiteboard kick' may not acheive that for him.

i think he's trying to take the hits for the team right now, rightfully so.

but none of that really matters, what happens behind closed doors does.

they win this week, you get to hit the reset button and start over, and most fans would be ok with that....you can then go back to taking it one game a time, and hopefully build some confidence....and get a little fire. cause in reality, the fire you're talking about needs to come from the players. can't only be the coach that's pissed and showing it.
He said it last year if the players don't step the coaching staff will. I hope JJ was the start. Somebody needs to bust the crap of somebody on Saturday and get this party started.

Reactions: jakez4ut
I HATE having to start every start every post with a disclaimer but if we don't, some clown...

[Yes, there is no excuse for losing to GS] Now, I haven't fired up the fahr wagon yet. As stupid as it was to believe we could overlook anyone to the point they did Saturday, there's still a path for JP to at least stabilize this mess.

With the teams he's been a part of, I just don't think he was even able to comprehend that a P5 team with 4 and 5 stars was capable of losing. Stupid, stupid mistake but hopefully they actually have game plans meant for beating the opponents from here on out.
yeah, i agree. what happened Saturday is one of those things you look back on (if this does go South) and say "yep, that was the sign he wasn't the guy".

no other way to paint it.......unless he fixes it. we'll see.

I've slept on it. This seems to be what's going down. UT Football is now a full-blown psy-op managed by a discrete team of psychologist ostensibly to address and engage behavior issues within the program. Multiple considerations have supplanted a primarily purpose of winning. We are talking a full blown deep state indoctrination and recruitment effort. May not help morale but we are looking for understanding aren't we?

An inside job is the only way out. It is what it is.

Let it be so!

Game 1 lines are hard to go by because what does Vegas actually know at this point. I would love to see what a 2017 Troy vs this year GSU line would be. I would guess that Troy would be favorites by about 10 as they were not bad in 2017. Troy did beat GSU by 24 in 2017 but that was Elliots first year and Neil Brown had Troy looking pretty good by 2017.

Since you are downtown Atlanta....just some sage advice, always check the throat area on the women.
Clutch advice. I tried to hook a friend up with a tranny last time I went out in downtown. Almost succeeded. Man that would have been a great story to tell his kids one day... or the reception of his wedding.

Game 1 lines are hard to go by because what does Vegas actually know at this point. I would love to see what a 2017 Troy vs this year GSU line would be. I would guess that Troy would be favorites by about 10 as they were not bad in 2017. Troy did beat GSU by 24 in 2017 but that was Elliots first year and Neil Brown had Troy looking pretty good by 2017.

Troy went 11-2 that year. Way way way better team than Ga State

Will anybody actually turn in their fan card and quit if we lose Saturday? I talk a big game but if it came down to it I think I would still be around. It’s a certainty I wouldn’t spend the time or money to go to a game, but I would still watch games, even if it is on in the background.
Vol till I die...and then when I die imma talk the good Lord into lettin me put a big orange power T on the back of my white robe.

Last edited:
Wait...so there was more social media non sense? Please someone get me up to speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back