Bruce Feldman on Briles

This. Morris and Wright are more valuable than Kendal Briles. It’d be interesting to know how they’d feel about losing Friend.
Lol no they’re not. If you honestly think that two HS players who haven’t played a down are more important than a competent OC, then look at our offensive performance between 05/06 with basically the same roster. Or between 08/09 with the exact same QBs and receivers.

Pruitt has to let his OC hire his guys. We all seen what happened when Butch did not let Shoop bring his guys. There is no reason for Pruitt keeping Friend to begin with. Cant believe he still has a job today. Pruitt might want to do whats best for Tennessee and not for his Friends.

I'm sure he could find another position for friend

RELAX. Pretty sure Pruitt has a contingency plan in place if he goes with Briles. I would like to think this CWF LIMFAC would have been discussed prior to any interviews, otherwise its a waste of time.

I am sure Fulmer would weight in on this. I KNOW he is not the coach, I KNOW it is not his decision. BUT having been a former OL player and a former OL coach. I know he would be the best person to weigh in on becuase he could be like....Yeah Friend is replacable or NO you got a good thing with Friend, we can look elsewhere.

I would really like to see if Fulmer gives the OK on this IF he does and says it is OK then I would not worry about the Oline

Reactions: VolForLife83
Pruitt has to let his OC hire his guys. We all seen what happened when Butch did not let Shoop bring his guys. There is no reason for Pruitt keeping Friend to begin with. Cant believe he still has a job today. Pruitt might want to do whats best for Tennessee and not for his Friends.
BS.... It's the head coach that gets to hire his guys. If or when Briles becomes a head coach he can hire his guys then.

And Briles hasn’t coached a second of Vols football yet.

tenor.gif

Good God Almighty! Will everyone stop and take a long breath!

Take a look back over the past 4 years of our OL play . . . Remember QD running for his life and getting hammered? Remember JD scrambling for his life? JG getting hammered as well as our RBs? Do you remember this? Our OL has been a shambles for YEARS!!

Let's also look at who CJP was recruiting up until the very end of the early signing period and NSD? JUCO and GT OLinemen!! I freaking wonder why . . . Our best OLineman was out Spring due to a medical issue - our second best OLineman was a back up center at Alabubba GT for Christ sake and we lost both of these guys during the season. The balance of OL on the team fall into some or all of the following categories: 1. Underdeveloped 2. Overrated 3. Undersized (ALL) 4. Lack of toughness.

Hell even Sam "By God" Pittman could not have fixed this dumpster fire in 9 months!!!

Lastly, I would bet a $100 that Will Friend has coached more damn OLineman than anyone on VOLNATION!!

Flame away!!

GBO

Attachments

• CEB8A57D-53EC-40E3-A302-65C4E7750B5B.jpeg
    CEB8A57D-53EC-40E3-A302-65C4E7750B5B.jpeg
    889.8 KB · Views: 1
I don't think it's a good idea to start letting OCs bring in their own position coaches unless you were going to make a change anyway. That's really a good way for a HC to lose control.

Reactions: FLSTF-VOL
Lol no they’re not. If you honestly think that two HS players who haven’t played a down are more important than a competent OC, then look at our offensive performance between 05/06 with basically the same roster. Or between 08/09 with the exact same QBs and receivers.
Look at the accepted prowess of Sam Pittman. He wasn’t the guy that Bama tried to steal from Arkansas and UGA did steal from Arkansas until he brought Dan Skipper to Arkansas and built on that model. No scheme is worth a **** if the players are ****.

I don't think it's a good idea to start letting OCs bring in their own position coaches unless you were going to make a change anyway. That's really a good way for a HC to lose control.

Disagree. If you have a coordinator, especially one that runs a different style, they should be allowed some latitude with their staff.

We lost 2 assistant coaches, bring on 2 new ones and lets move on. Figure out titles and schemes over the winter before spring practice.

Some guys can recruit and coach

Some can only do one or the other

Friend seems like the recruiter not the coach

That or Tennessee got the bad case of lazy

Look at the accepted prowess of Sam Pittman. He wasn’t the guy that Bama tried to steal from Arkansas and UGA did steal from Arkansas until he brought Dan Skipper to Arkansas and built on that model. No scheme is worth a **** if the players are ****.
Coaching is still more important than talent. Yes I get that there is a direct correlation between the top recruiting classes and general success. But when you can’t coach them up, you end up getting blown out by 3 stars from Vandy/Missouri who have been coached up. I especially can’t see picking an OC based on what Wright wants. He may end up being a first round pick, but the level of competition sure makes it hard to tell.

I remember back in 2013 when butch was hired, and needed an OC, thinking "We should hire the OC from East Carolina, he is going to be a star one day." The guy had explosive offenses, had really stood out, and you just knew he was gonna be something.

Instead we hired Coach Bajakian, and Lincoln Riley is taking his number one offense to the Playoffs.

I'm not saying Briles is the next Riley, but I

get the same feeling about him that I did about Riley. He is gonna be a star so get him now.
Don't you know that UT doesn't hire coaches that are the next big thing? We don't want anyone that might lift us out of the depths of mediocrity.

Friend could coach OT/TE, new guy could coach inside linemen, Neidermeyer to RB...if Weinke leaves. There are teams that have a coach for OT/TE and a coach for OG/C.

Reactions: sonofUT62
A smart OC would know how badly we need all our O line recruits and others that are considering coming to UT.

A smart OC would NOT risk losing all our O line recruits just to bring his buddy along with him to get him a raise.

Coach Friend has a very good track record and reputation and he's a good recruiter so it would be dumb to lose him and our O line recruits too.

Pruitt needs to p[ass on this deal.

We need the good recruiting of Friend as well as his ability to make players better and if a emergency comes up he can fill in as our OC if need be.

Coach Friend is a valuable asset for several reasons.

VFL...GBO!!!
The o line looked better with butch’s o line coach than it had with friend so far. If anything it’s looking like Pruitt is the one who likes to bring buddy’s in to get a raise

Reactions: sonofUT62
Hmmmmm.... Will Friend not getting promotion AND may have to shift positions to get Briles? interesting indeed. Friend had a very good resume before coming here (UT the destroyer of reputations). Would hate to lose him actually - and didnt he recruit Wanya? He was a badass recruiter at GA too.
symbiotic relationship = UT destroys coaches...coaches destroy UT.

I lived in Ga for 10 years and even the Ga fans and radio sport talk wanted Friend gone years before he left and now I understand why.
I have lived in Georgia for the past 10 years as well, and I’ve not heard any of this. The only thing I hear from Georgia fans is how they think they should win the national championship every year and be entitled to all things good. That aside, I still disagree with you because Friend didn’t have anything really to work with this season, and I think it’s unfair to judge someone on their first year of work at a new school with such a low talent save one or two people. But hey, you are entitled to your own opinion, and I respect that. I just can’t help it if your opinion is wrong. 😎 ha, I kid, I kid. To each his own, my man.

Good God Almighty! Will everyone stop and take a long breath!

Take a look back over the past 4 years of our OL play . . . Remember QD running for his life and getting hammered? Remember JD scrambling for his life? JG getting hammered as well as our RBs? Do you remember this? Our OL has been a shambles for YEARS!!

Let's also look at who CJP was recruiting up until the very end of the early signing period and NSD? JUCO and GT OLinemen!! I freaking wonder why . . . Our best OLineman was out Spring due to a medical issue - our second best OLineman was a back up center at Alabubba GT for Christ sake and we lost both of these guys during the season. The balance of OL on the team fall into some or all of the following categories: 1. Underdeveloped 2. Overrated 3. Undersized (ALL) 4. Lack of toughness.

Hell even Sam "By God" Pittman could not have fixed this dumpster fire in 9 months!!!

Lastly, I would bet a $100 that Will Friend has coached more damn OLineman than anyone on VOLNATION!!

Flame away!!

GBO
Still rather have Briles

VN Store

Back