Bruce Feldman on Briles

I doubt the reason is personal against Friend. In the real world of coaches, Will Friend is very well respected. Just a matter of familiarity and giving a bud a boost. EDIT: I almost got caught up for a moment in the same insanity of the rest of the board, why is this person's tweet with info from unnamed sources have any more clout than any of the other thousand or so already posted?
It doesn’t.

The o line looked better with butch’s o line coach than it had with friend so far. If anything it’s looking like Pruitt is the one who likes to bring buddy’s in to get a raise
Come on now....Mahoney was NOT good. Friend is definitely better than that. Is he the answer? I don't know. I am willing to give him a chance to show improvement. Mahoney was only able to land at a small school last year, and was just hired at ECU.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Coaching is still more important than talent. Yes I get that there is a direct correlation between the top recruiting classes and general success. But when you can’t coach them up, you end up getting blown out by 3 stars from Vandy/Missouri who have been coached up. I especially can’t see picking an OC based on what Wright wants. He may end up being a first round pick, but the level of competition sure makes it hard to tell.
I think Friend’s an established damn good OL coach and if Briles’s lackey has what Friend worked with instead of the upgrades he recruited he’ll prove it. Hate to have that laboratory experiment work out again in our history. Poster keep drumming up Shoop not being able to bring his people in. The glaring difference is who was untouchable on the holdovers on that mess? Thigpen? Hernandez? Strip? Apples to plums.

You’re higher than your meth dealer.
Well he’s right the statistics do technically bear it out. It just doesn’t account for the fact that Butchs Early olines had actual NFL talent and his later Oline had Dobbs to cover up the deficiencies.

I think Friend’s an established damn good OL coach and if Briles’s lackey has what Friend worked with instead of the upgrades he recruited he’ll prove it. Hate to have that laboratory experiment work out again in our history. Poster keep drumming up Shoop not being able to bring his people in. The glaring difference is who was untouchable on the holdovers on that mess? Thigpen? Hernandez? Strip? Apples to plums.

I’m not arguing that Briles guy is a better Oline coach than Friend. I’m arguing that it’s ridiculous to make the OC decision based on two HS recruits one of them, who plays terrible competition. Outside of that I agree with what you said.

Well he’s right the statistics do technically bear it out. It just doesn’t account for the fact that Butchs Early olines had actual NFL talent and his later Oline had Dobbs to cover up the deficiencies.
Not to mention Hurd, Kamara, and Kelly to go along with Dobbs. Dobbs alone had 2000 yards rushing his last 3 years, and a lot of those came when the line broke down and he had to make chicken salad out of chicken ****

I’m not arguing that Briles guy is a better Oline coach than Friend. I’m arguing that it’s ridiculous to make the OC decision based on two HS recruits one of them, who plays terrible competition. Outside of that I agree with what you said.
We’re not making that decision...HE would be.

I don't think it's that off base. Anyone really believe Briles would be here more than 2 years before getting a HC gig? I want the players. There are plenty of qualified, capable OC options.

That said...we could get all of em if we make some minor adjustments.

I don't think it's that off base. Anyone really believe Briles would be here more than 2 years before getting a HC gig? I want the players. There are plenty of qualified, capable OC options.

That said...we could get all of em if we make some minor adjustments.
I can think of a lot worse situations than Briles teaching Osovet his system for two years. Bring him on.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Sure it does. You’re just not in the mood to acknowledge it. Admirable argument technique.

So claiming that a high school recruit, with 4 or 5 star potential but with zero college playing experience, is more impactful than an offensive coordinator with decade of P5 collegiate coaching experience is a logical statement to you?

Cool.

Reactions: sonofUT62
We’re not making that decision...HE would be.
That’s fine. The OP I quoted said that he considered Wright and Morris more valuable than Briles. I responded why I thought that I thought a capable OC was more important. If CJP thinks that keeping Wright and Morris should dictate who he hires then I’m 💯 % behind him. I’m aware that the 300 dollars I spent on tickets/parking and Petros this year doesn’t entitle me to make staff decisions.

Friend's ass would be out that door so fast there would be a smoke trail behind him if it were my call.

We'll see.

Friend's ass would be out that door so fast there would be a smoke trail behind him if it were my call.

We'll see.
Well thank goodness you are not making that call on the volnation forum....Or I for that matter or any of us on this board. Our job it to praise the coaches when the team is doing well and to say FIRE them when they lose against Candy.......lol

So claiming that a high school recruit, with 4 or 5 star potential but with zero college playing experience, is more impactful than an offensive coordinator with decade of P5 collegiate coaching experience is a logical statement to you?

Cool.
Didn’t realize FAU and Houston were P5. I know that even at Baylor, he and his dad didn’t start winning until the players started arriving...beginning with RGIII. If he wants to tank the OL studs on deck just to get his soulmate a gig, then NEXT! Give me Yurkinwatchenstein.

Injuries were a problem as the season went on but they looked bad starting in game one. My issue with the OL was they were missing assignments more so than getting our athleted. We can have all 5* recruits on the line but it won’t matter if they don’t know who they are suppose to block. That is something that should have improved as the season went on but it got worse.

If the players don’t understand complex blocking schemes then it is on the coach to dumb them down. If JG is getting blown up on long developing pass plays then line some backup tackles in the TE position and have them help block.
LOL guess you didn't pay attention to the fact that almost every game he was having to move these guys around for one injury or another. Not sure there was a game where the lineup was the same as the game before. It's not as easy as dumbing it down unless you're simply blocking straight up. And lets face it these guys may not be the most talented group to begin with.

Reactions: AM64 and butchna

VN Store

Back