Bruce Feldman on Briles

Huge lack of overall talent and strength not coaching. They gave it all they could, sorry you expected us to become world beaters and champs in 1 season.
I did? Do you have proof of that? Oh that's right you don't cause I never said that or thought that. However I did see a ton of missed assignments all years long and they wasn't strong enough either. But I did see improvement in the strength department based off the reports during off season and them occasionally actually blocking the right people. However back to the facts yet again they missed way too many blocking assignments so yea that tells us all that the O line coach sucks and shouldn't be promoted to OC. Common sense isn't so common.

I did? Do you have proof of that? Oh that's right you don't cause I never said that or thought that. However I did see a ton of missed assignments all years long and they wasn't strong enough either. But I did see improvement in the strength department based off the reports during off season and them occasionally actually blocking the right people. However back to the facts yet again they missed way too many blocking assignments so yea that tells us all that the O line coach sucks and shouldn't be promoted to OC. Common sense isn't so common.
I'm not saying that Friend needs to be promoted although I think we could do worse, as far as the missed assignments yea I saw this as well but I also know and take into consideration that we had 1 maybe 2 guys available for spring ball and the beginning of fall camp. I'm not trying to make excuses for anybody I'm tryin to be realistic. These lineman that have been here and even those that was new to tell program had to acclimate and learn a new concept from a entirely new staff. I honestly believe that with some general resistance from a few players is the reasons for the product on the field. Like Coach Pruitt has said multiple multiple times if all 5 aren't doin the job they're assigned the entire group fails. So missed assignments and blotched plays IMO is the result of a few not doing it the rite way. That's been a major preaching point for the entirety of the season.

I'm not saying that Friend needs to be promoted although I think we could do worse, as far as the missed assignments yea I saw this as well but I also know and take into consideration that we had 1 maybe 2 guys available for spring ball and the beginning of fall camp. I'm not trying to make excuses for anybody I'm tryin to be realistic. These lineman that have been here and even those that was new to tell program had to acclimate and learn a new concept from a entirely new staff. I honestly believe that with some general resistance from a few players is the reasons for the product on the field. Like Coach Pruitt has said multiple multiple times if all 5 aren't doin the job they're assigned the entire group fails. So missed assignments and blotched plays IMO is the result of a few not doing it the rite way. That's been a major preaching point for the entirety of the season.
So basically the O line coach couldn't get it resolved got it. I mean they had all off season, and the entire season to get better. It doesn't take more than a year to learn how to block the guy infront of you.

So basically the O line coach couldn't get it resolved got it. I mean they had all off season, and the entire season to get better. It doesn't take more than a year to learn how to block the guy infront of you.
Do you even understand football and how it works?? Cause if you do your being ridiculous. I don't care if the freaking best OL coach in the history of football college or pro or pee wee was coaching these guys you'd still had the same results! You can't coach palyers who don't wanna be coached!! Not saying thats the case with the entry line but some and if you understand football like your pertraying you do you'd know this and that if all 5 don't execute properly the whole group looks bad!!

Do you even understand football and how it works?? Cause if you do your being ridiculous. I don't care if the freaking best OL coach in the history of football college or pro or pee wee was coaching these guys you'd still had the same results! You can't coach palyers who don't wanna be coached!! Not saying thats the case with the entry line but some and if you understand football like your pertraying you do you'd know this and that if all 5 don't execute properly the whole group looks bad!!
Did just admit that the guy sucks and there wasn't any improvement this year and guess what there may not be next year either. Not sorry you don't like the facts.

SIAP:
"Briles is also one of the top candidates for the Tennessee offensive coordinator position. He interviewed for the job on Friday, but didn't lock in with the Vols despite Tennessee's hope that he would do so before interviewing at FSU, according to a source."

Seems like he's leaning toward FSU at the moment, if the reports of his interviewing with them today are accurate (which they appear to be).

SIAP:
"Briles is also one of the top candidates for the Tennessee offensive coordinator position. He interviewed for the job on Friday, but didn't lock in with the Vols despite Tennessee's hope that he would do so before interviewing at FSU, according to a source."

Seems like he's leaning toward FSU at the moment, if the reports of his interviewing with them today are accurate (which they appear to be).
Or he's doing his due diligence in finding the best spot for him, professionally and financially.
dunno.gif

Perhaps one of us saw things differently during this last season, but I recall more than once looking at the other team's OL and DL and thinking those guys are huge. Not normal size guys that were bulked up but honest to god huge. You put a car up against a bulldozer in a shoving match and the car doesn't win ... period. Until Pruitt can import some of those guys, it's going to be a struggle. And the college football fact of life that too many people ignore is that those changes come about once a year - there's one crop of new players every year, and one opportunity to get them ready to play every year. After that, it's you play whoever "you brung to the dance" and hope they get better. Oh, and don't forget it's a matter of getting the guys you really believe in and want to buy what you and not AL or GA or whoever else is selling.

Remember Pruitt was primarily playing guys BJ recruited - BJ was run out of town on a rail because he didn't understand SEC football wasn't Cincinnati football ... assuming Butch even understood football. His recruiting was appalling, and it can't be fixed in a year or two because the NCAA set limits on scholarships and especially on recruiting class numbers - gonna take a while to flush out the system.

SIAP:

Call me cray cray, but I think Tennessee is a better place for an OC right now than FSU. I like Pruitt's chances of success way better than Taggart's.

Call me cray cray, but I think Tennessee is a better place for an OC right now than FSU. I like Pruitt's chances of success way better than Taggart's.

I actually agree. WT seems to be on a much shorter leash at the moment. I just saw that quote in the Florida paper and thought it was interesting.

Act like your interested in multiple coaches, take your time, let other programs hire the better coaches, and promote from within. Then tell the fans that was the best choice.

I like Jayson Swain's idea of moving Friend to RB coach. Solves the issue. Swain's thinking is Friend should be able to coach RBs since he was a OC previously. You lose Weinke, but IMO thats going to happen sooner than later anyways.

Weinke could coach QBs

I actually agree. WT seems to be on a much shorter leash at the moment. I just saw that quote in the Florida paper and thought it was interesting.

Taggart's W/L record is 52/57. He had one 10/2 year and one 8/5 year. The rest were not so good. An OC looking to make a good run might not want to sign on for Taggart's time at FSU.

Head coaching record

Year Team Overall ConferenceStanding Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP° Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (Sun Belt Conference) (2010–2012)2010Western Kentucky 2–10 2–6 9th 2011Western Kentucky 7–5 7–1 2nd 2012Western Kentucky 7–5 4–4 5th Little Caesars Pizza* Western Kentucky: 16–20 13–11 * Departed Western Kentucky for South Florida before bowl game South Florida Bulls (American Athletic Conference) (2013–2016)2013South Florida 2–10 2–6 8th 2014South Florida 4–8 3–5 7th 2015South Florida 8–5 6–2 2nd (East)L Miami Beach2016South Florida 10–2 7–1 T–1st (East)Birmingham* 19 19 South Florida: 24–25 18–14 * Departed South Florida for Oregon before bowl game Oregon Ducks (Pac-12 Conference) (2017)2017Oregon 7–5 4–5 4th (North)Las Vegas* Oregon: 7–5 4–5 * Departed Oregon for Florida State before bowl game Florida State Seminoles (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2018–present)2018Florida State 5–7 3–5 5th (Atlantic)Florida State: 5–7 3–5 Total: 52–57

Last edited:
Reactions: AM64
there is nothing about Willie Taggart that smells like success and darned if Taggart/Briles is anywhere close to a good fit.

besides Kiffin has been talking up how great Knoxville would be for his young family to Briles. Kiffin said so in an interview he did about the Tennessee OC search the other day.

Perhaps one of us saw things differently during this last season, but I recall more than once looking at the other team's OL and DL and thinking those guys are huge. Not normal size guys that were bulked up but honest to god huge. You put a car up against a bulldozer in a shoving match and the car doesn't win ... period. Until Pruitt can import some of those guys, it's going to be a struggle. And the college football fact of life that too many people ignore is that those changes come about once a year - there's one crop of new players every year, and one opportunity to get them ready to play every year. After that, it's you play whoever "you brung to the dance" and hope they get better. Oh, and don't forget it's a matter of getting the guys you really believe in and want to buy what you and not AL or GA or whoever else is selling.

Remember Pruitt was primarily playing guys BJ recruited - BJ was run out of town on a rail because he didn't understand SEC football wasn't Cincinnati football ... assuming Butch even understood football. His recruiting was appalling, and it can't be fixed in a year or two because the NCAA set limits on scholarships and especially on recruiting class numbers - gonna take a while to flush out the system.
So again the O line coach couldn't do his job and the was no improvement just like there hasn't been for the last 10 years

So again the O line coach couldn't do his job and the was no improvement just like there hasn't been for the last 10 years

The coaches who tried to work with that line last year weren't around for the ten previous years. Blame Butch and Dooley and their staffs, but Pruitt and his coaches get a pass for now. A lot of people here want to take the past ten years out on Pruitt and company; they weren't here. As for the next couple of years, you can only do so much with a max of 25 new players per year - none of whom will be providing senior leadership for a while.

Reactions: rmvol
Agree......there was lack of talent on the OL however the kids on the field got worse as the season progressed! Watch the film.....multiple blown assignments each game. THAT IS COACHING! Or lack there of. The most average kids can be taught basics! Ours were not. Friend is a terrible OL coach which was the biggest weakness of this team and the number one reason for offensive inconsistency......and that coach will be promoted to a more important position because he and the HC were college roommates / double Dutch rudder buddies?

Reactions: chrismc1000

VN Store

Back