Bruce Feldman on Briles

A smart OC would know how badly we need all our O line recruits and others that are considering coming to UT.

A smart OC would NOT risk losing all our O line recruits just to bring his buddy along with him to get him a raise.

Coach Friend has a very good track record and reputation and he's a good recruiter so it would be dumb to lose him and our O line recruits too.

Pruitt needs to p[ass on this deal.

We need the good recruiting of Friend as well as his ability to make players better and if a emergency comes up he can fill in as our OC if need be.

Coach Friend is a valuable asset for several reasons.

VFL...GBO!!!

No

If I am Pruitt, I don't let him bring his OL coach until after signing day or have Friend take an associate head coach type of thing and bring in this guy for OL.

I'd prefer to have the Texas recruiting pipeline in place prior to signing day, thank you very much.

Reactions: RollerVol
This might be completely meaningless, but I think it's still interesting. Football Outsiders produces offensive line statistics. The categories which seem to be a point of emphasis in the offenses he's worked on are pass blocking and avoiding "stuffs" - or the % of plays where an RB is met at or before the line of scrimmage. Of course a ton of other variables factor in but in the 4 years that they've been measuring this those appear to be a trend. Also, in doing an average across all categories, his OLs consistently rank in the Top 15. This year at Houston ranked 12th, his last two years at Baylor - 14th and 4th. The only team that has consistently ranked higher is Clemson. Tennessee hovered ~30 the first two, and over the last 2 years have ranked almost last.

Last edited:
You wanna know sad? Morris decommits.
Who says he decommits? Maybe he committed to Tn and not Friend. If Pruitt brought in Freeze or any other OC ,dont you think that the OC would want to bring his own guys in also? I mean this situation worked out so well for Butch and Shoop. That is what happens when you dont let a coach bring his own people in with him. If Briles comes and works with the coaches that is already here and the offense looks inept like it does now then everybody will be calling for Briles head. Saying Pruitt should of never hired him.

I like Jayson Swain's idea of moving Friend to RB coach. Solves the issue. Swain's thinking is Friend should be able to coach RBs since he was a OC previously. You lose Weinke, but IMO thats going to happen sooner than later anyways.

Who says he decommits? Maybe he committed to Tn and not Friend. If Pruitt brought in Freeze or any other OC ,dont you think that the OC would want to bring his own guys in also? I mean this situation worked out so well for Butch and Shoop. That is what happens when you dont let a coach bring his own people in with him. If Briles comes and works with the coaches that is already here and the offense looks inept like it does now then everybody will be calling for Briles head. Saying Pruitt should of never hired him.
We’re dealing with hypotheticals...and I’m throwing that juicy one out there. And while we’re on the “let a coach bring his own people” tagline, use that same logic with Butch bringing in his...Mahoney over Pittman.

Can't say I'd blame Pruitt if the only option was to get rid of Friend after 1 year considering our OL was abysmal before he got here. At some point the guys have to step up and do what the coaches ask. Not enough of a sample size on Friend yet

A smart OC would know how badly we need all our O line recruits and others that are considering coming to UT.

A smart OC would NOT risk losing all our O line recruits just to bring his buddy along with him to get him a raise.

Coach Friend has a very good track record and reputation and he's a good recruiter so it would be dumb to lose him and our O line recruits too.

Pruitt needs to p[ass on this deal.

We need the good recruiting of Friend as well as his ability to make players better and if a emergency comes up he can fill in as our OC if need be.

Coach Friend is a valuable asset for several reasons.

VFL...GBO!!!

A smart OC would go to a school that lets him run his offense the way he sees fit, including personnel who know his system. This will not be the only job Briles is offered.

Hire Briles and his OL/running game coordinator.

Friend can be the RB coach, move Weinke to QB coach and if Friend is sour over title just give him associate HC and/or let him be an offensive anaylyst. I think CJP & His guys don't give a rat's ass about their titles though, they want to win.

edited: coordinator to analyst, what I actually meant.

We’re dealing with hypotheticals...and I’m throwing that juicy one out there. And while we’re on the “let a coach bring his own people” tagline, use that same logic with Butch bringing in his...Mahoney over Pittman.

Are you saying that Butch should have been hired in the first place?

That was BS lol....Butch even brought the water boy with him.

Briles isn't a spring chicken. He'll size the matter up and likely be adamant over several key points. He just got a good raise and likely won't like moving his family around. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he came here.

After watching a Friend coached OL, I cant believe Morris is still committed and Wright even thinking about committing. But I get what you are saying. This is a dirty business , sad but it is.
The OL was leaps and bounds above where it was last season.

Would be a solid hire, who pays his new buyout? He just signed a new deal so he would owe over a million to jump. Don’t see Houston overlooking it since he just signed. UT could pay him 2mil a year if they wanted.

Don’t blame Briles wanting his own OL coach, he knows how he likes his OL to look, block for his offense.

I doubt the reason is personal against Friend. In the real world of coaches, Will Friend is very well respected. Just a matter of familiarity and giving a bud a boost. EDIT: I almost got caught up for a moment in the same insanity of the rest of the board, why is this person's tweet with info from unnamed sources have any more clout than any of the other thousand or so already posted?
Not much different from the ad that says “you eat the food, you lose the weight!” If we want to believe it we do.

After watching a Friend coached OL, I cant believe Morris is still committed and Wright even thinking about committing. But I get what you are saying. This is a dirty business , sad but it is.
They see the talent on the field, they think they are better, and can come in and start. OL will look much better next year.

Reactions: Vol Main

VN Store

Back