Recruiting Football Talk VII

He was mentioned in one of the players threads, and I wanted to ask here...

Has anyone heard or know how Raynoch Thompson is doing? He was having a hard time, and into some trouble years ago...sounded like he may have been homeless?? I know he had some substance abuse problems while in the NFL. Anyone know or have any info? He's one of my all-time favorite Vols, no matter the position. Hope things turned around for him.
A friend of mine from my time at UT knows how much I love Raynoch (see my username, also the name of my recently passed Blue Tick) and he FaceTimed me one night from his favorite bar in Knoxville, Suttrees, bc he was hanging out with Raynoch there. Got to talk to him and he seemed mostly well but definitely not sober.

If the AI guy that got shown the door by Google is to be believed. Google's first AI became sentient and him raising the alarm about it got him ushered out. It may be the inevitable outcome of complex AI. He said google's first AI was far too human and didn't recognize itself as an AI but rather thought of itself as human, complete with human emotions - sentience. That opens up soooo many ethical questions it's not even funny, even something as basic as ownership gets called into question if the damn thing can think and feel.

Google's solution was to pull the plug on that AI and try to make one that didn't believe itself to be human. But I'm starting to think that the problem is going to keep repeating itself. We create the code and then feed it information. It learns, grows, and evolves from that process and from us communicating with it. It may be that it's too complex and too intelligent for there to be any other outcome than it developing sentience at some point in its 'lifespan.'

It sounds like madness but I think we really are about to enter a brave new world when it comes to AI and none of us are quite ready for it.
Read enough to know I am not ready for it.

A friend of mine from my time at UT knows how much I love Raynoch (see my username, also the name of my recently passed Blue Tick) and he FaceTimed me one night from his favorite bar in Knoxville, Suttrees, bc he was hanging out with Raynoch there. Got to talk to him and he seemed mostly well but definitely not sober.
When was this?
Is that where your name is from?

Reactions: Smokey19rt
How long ago has that been?

VN Store

Back