Rattler will pick us apart

The problem with blitzing Rattler is the kid is a backyard football gamer. He throws very well scrambling for his life. Milton can't hit a bus when he's scrambling, but Rattler can throw dimes. If you blitz, you either have to finish it...or keep your coverage tight. Something our secondary hasn't looked well doing.

Neyland needs to be deafening.

Reactions: alavolfan and TGVol
If you recall, our whole staff was picked because others said no. Heupel was picked because others said no. No one wanted to be here. Pruitt and his McDonalds sack left us with top players leaving, recruits bailing, and coaches hiding. If you think Banks was a bad hire at the time, you’re wrong. I think Martinez was a bad hire, but they wanted SEC experience and others said no. Every aspect of the defense is better this year, including DB. Jeudy Lally had a very good game, as did Tam and Burrell. Herring and Carter both took big leaps. Baron collapsed the pocket 11 times. LBs had 22 tackles. We made some mistakes. Our biggest hole isn’t on the defense by a longshot. You morons need to stop burning down the barn every time a horse craps. This team has spotty talent and depth, and we might still lose a few more games, but the shots at Banks are so misguided.
What's your timeline for us to have sufficient talent? Do we need to be in year 6 or 7 to have guys that can play to their actual talent level?

Not a DC or coaching issue, it’s a talent issue. If you want to attack their recruiting, then that’s valid.

Coach Banks is one of the most multiple defensive playcallers in the country, our corners and secondary overall aren’t P5 level players. Martinez is also a damn good coach, he’s been a DC and a coach in this conference for longer than some posters on VN have been alive.
Martinez is a crappy DB coach, pure and simple. I will never understand this need some people have to protect the regime at all costs.

Reactions: TGVol
We will know where we are after this game.

Sadly we already know that when it comes to SEC road environments after watching the Gainsville disaster. But at least we will now find out how this team looks against first real competition when playing at home with crowd behind them.

What's your timeline for us to have sufficient talent? Do we need to be in year 6 or 7 to have guys that can play to their actual talent level?

If you’re question is serious, it’ll probably take two more years of recruiting with portal augmentation to have talent and depth equal to the top of the conference.

If we lose our current recruiting momentum, it could be worse.

Currently our 24 recruiting is behind Florida, Bama and Georgia, and we’re way behind Bama and Georgia in quality depth.

Right now an objective assessment of our talent depth puts us performing right where we are— in the middle of the conference.

We have big deficits on the offensive line, we’re too young at LB, our safeties are a blend of experienced and slow, or young and talented, but mistake prone. Our CB unit is improved, but still not good. Our offensive skill positions are probably a net B-, good but not great yet. DL is our best unit, but will graduate a chunk.

If we don’t seriously upgrade line talent and depth this offseason, next year will be a struggle.

I don’t defend Martinez, even though most of the people harping about him don’t know what good cornerbacks look like. I do defend Banks. He’s a good coach.

Reactions: tntar heel and CTM
Hopefully the offense comes ready because given our DB play this game will likely be a shoot out or just Rattler putting up big numbers again to a victory. At the beginning of the season I was convinced that this game was circled, we'd come in pissed off and crush them. Now, not so much. Need the good guys in the stands to be super loud to mess with Rattler's communication.

Reactions: CTM
Our secondary can’t cover Legette. Y’all are right; we need to get pressure on Rattler. He can beat us; I’m not sure that o-line can.
Wow, you have postured our DB coach to get a 3 year extension if they make Rattler look human. Would have to be coaching, can’t be the players. I am sure his most verbal detractors won’t type out of both sides of their keyboard, RIGHT! They are versatile though.

Lol no. I've never seen someone so wrong and feel so right at the same time. Tempo is our offensive identity. When we stray from it is when we struggle.
Tempo will get you beat if you cant pick up first downs consistently, that is what happened at Florida in the first half, we wore our defense out by not holding the ball for any period of time. Tempo works against you when you have a qb that can not make adjustments on the fly. Like it or not right now our strength is our running game, we need to run the ball and control the clock, every time we punt we give Rat-tler extra opportunities. With Hooker tempo as our identity, with Milton we have no identity. We need to establish one and make it run first and then the deep shots will open up, all year so far we have tried to open up throwing deep.

This thread reminds of when I take the leash off my dog and let him run wild. He’s running at breakneck speed going somewhere…he just doesn’t know where. The key IMO is SQUARELY on the amount of push our DL/Edge get on SC and how well our OL can hold their blocks/block in space for our run game. All the other sidebar issue will fall into place if we handle those two issues. CLEARLY …we have not played clean, efficient, synchronized, well spaced mismatch football so far this season. Let’s start this Saturday. I’ll be there loud and proud…

This thread reminds of when I take the leash off my dog and let him run wild. He’s running at breakneck speed going somewhere…he just doesn’t know where.
Our defense was running wild at breakneck speed in the swamp but did not know where and certainly was not running towards Florida players to tackle them - that is the problem that needs fixing - not this thread. Problem is that Banks is not likely to ever fix that issue when we play against tough competition.

played alot of players, and were very vanilla in scheme
Yep! alot of these young guys are still thinking instead of reacting. So you cannot throw alot at them. Its important to get them into the film room and see what was they was seeing with the play that was called. Its all apart of coaching.

Reactions: CTM
Our defense was running wild at breakneck speed in the swamp but did not know where and certainly was not running towards Florida players to tackle them - that is the problem that needs fixing - not this thread. Problem is that Banks is not likely to ever fix that issue when we play against tough competition.
I would take Derek Mason over Banks atm.

TN leads the SEC in yards given up per play, only 4.2, Ga giving up more than that with an easier schedule.

Banks should just throw the kitchen sink st him every play. Our only chance is to hit him early and often.

Yeah Hadden is going to get burnt bug time but we have to be in Rattlers face every play and make him second guess himself. If we give him time good night. We will lose by two TDs at least.

Watch us come out very conservative on D though and he picks us apart. Banks sucks.

Milton can't keep up with Rattler in a shootout. So we must hit Rattler and make him pay every single play.
He might not be as apt to run if his chin is split open or he can’t see out of his ear hole- just my .02 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: buryMEinORANGE
Mason was the Spurrier of Vanderbilt, I don't see him coaching here.
I would say Franklin was their Spurrier. Mason was more like the Mullens. He would crawl on his hands and knees to coach here. And we should pay him handsomely too, because we would actually have a defense rather than a clown show.

Reactions: TN1111
I don't have a ton of confidence in Banks. That said, part of UNC's formula for beating USCe was pressure. They sacked Rattler 9 times... and have 3 sacks since. Amazingly, UGA is last in the SEC in sacks. They have 5... 3 came against USCe. MSU is tied for 8th in the SEC in sacks with 10. Four came against USCe.

UT is currently first in the SEC in sacks and 4th nationally. They are the same in TFLs. USCe is last in both sacks allowed and TFLs allowed. They're last in rushing with a 2.28 ypc avg... Vandy is next worst at 3.64.

Unless USCe finds an OL solution this week... Rattler is in for a very tough day.

As far as Hadden getting burned, that's a pretty popular exaggeration. I think he's undisciplined and his whiff on that tackle would have been enough for me to bench him.

However judging guys getting "burned" while the DC puts them in a position to fail isn't right.

The Vols need Slaughter back. I am hopeful that the guys who got a lot of PT in the last game like the freshmen and Turnage earned more trust.
Preach.... this is exactly how I'm looking at the game. It has to be won in the trenches on both sides. We lost at the LOS vs Fla and we lost the game. That can't happen Saturday. Hadden is extremely undisciplined but I think the narrative on him is way overblown. Everyone in our secondary gets caught bombed. I know I might get a DPI from him but I also know he can create turnovers. That Fla whiff was horrible but I wouldn't have benched him because I've seen him make way more tackles in space that prevented big plays.

😂 Didn’t say the thread needs “fixing”….you kidding…t’s too much entertainment.

Banks should just throw the kitchen sink st him every play. Our only chance is to hit him early and often.

Yeah Hadden is going to get burnt bug time but we have to be in Rattlers face every play and make him second guess himself. If we give him time good night. We will lose by two TDs at least.

Watch us come out very conservative on D though and he picks us apart. Banks sucks.

Milton can't keep up with Rattler in a shootout. So we must hit Rattler and make him pay every single play.
Almost all you posted was wrong, 1st half. Now for a repeat in the 2nd

VN Store

Back