• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

Butch Jones Crashes App St Post-Game Huddle

Maybe wait until Satterfield is done talking with his team? This is a pattern with Butch, he treats his life as if he's the subject of a running biography, the star of the show. He could have waited to meet Satterfield in their locker room. But there aren't any cameras there.

I like Butch Jones, but that's kinda the feeling I had, too. Almost like he thinks too highly of himself and feels like everyone wants to hear from him since he's a legendary coach or something.

Reactions: 3 people
You know I'm like 1998% certain that Butch could have layed the hammer down the first week with the playbook if he wanted to put on 40 points. So, if they think he's being condescending well f*** them. They don't have any idea how vanilla this playbook was.

Does anyone know if Butch might have asked Satterfield for permission immediately after the game?

"Hey coach, I'd like to congratulate your team on a great game. Is that okay?"

"No problem."

There's likely some unwritten etiquette on such things and I doubt very seriously CBJ just decided on a whim to crash the huddle without anyone knowing it from Appy State. And furthermore, nobody knows exactly what was said so there is no reason to jump to conclusions...never mind, it's VN.

I've said my piece and I honestly think it's a non issue, but from this, it really doesn't look like butch gets permission. He just goes up in there with no regard to the other coach. That's how I see it anyways.

Video: Butch Jones crashes Appalachian State team huddle to offer encouragement, praise

Reactions: 2 people
Does anyone know if Butch might have asked Satterfield for permission immediately after the game?

"Hey coach, I'd like to congratulate your team on a great game. Is that okay?"

"No problem."

There's likely some unwritten etiquette on such things and I doubt very seriously CBJ just decided on a whim to crash the huddle without anyone knowing it from Appy State. And furthermore, nobody knows exactly what was said so there is no reason to jump to conclusions...never mind, it's VN.

If anyone was paying attention I assume that's why the two of them talked for a little while in post game handshake.

LOL... can't wait until he goes over to Alibama players to tell to hold their heads high.

Reactions: 3 people
I thought it was a classy move from Butch but he did look awkward in that moment. To me the App St players around looked at him like "yeah we know we almost wrecked your season but we ain't Austin Peay we expected to win". Just my thoughts

Reactions: 1 person
Butch just giving his support because he knows what it's like to lose a game due to poor clock management

Last edited:
I know from my family history what goes on in West Jefferson, Crumpler, and Shatley Springs and that corn gets converted to a jar in that neck of the woods. CBJ might have been wanting to source a few gallons to inspire the Vols before UGA and bama.

I jest, I jest. Many of my family are Appy fans and they thought CBJ's praise was from the heart and they appreciated his effort. I agree.

I am not sure why Butch felt he needed to address the entire App St team. I guess when you pay an opponent over $1M to play this game, you can probably do whatever you want. Some have commented that Saban and Miles would never have done that and I agree. But I think most top tier coaches (Saban and Miles included) will congratulate and offer encouragement to the key opposing players individually (not the entire team) after the game and after shaking hands with the opposing coach.

classy move! thats it..... if you want to try to find a negative in this.... well idc to hear what you have to say! go vols week 2 is upon us lets go vols live and learn boys

I do think Butch was genuine in his intentions and I'm sure it just happened in the moment post game. I don't think he planned it before time expired.

I do hope he cleared it with Satterfield. That is Satterfields team regardless of what stadium they are at.

I do wish he would have not interrupted Satterfield while he was addressing his team. Again it's Satterfields team.

And if it was received poorly by App St I think we would have heard something by now. Apparently they don't like to be called Appy St so I will refrain going forward with that. I have nothing but respect for that team now. Unless those punks ever do beat us then I'll call them more than that!😁

It's hard to swallow the good job good game post a tough loss. But the Appy St players handled it well. I don't have a problem with what Butch did. For all we know he said you have put the Nation on notice and could compete in the SEC.

Was hoping someone may have reported exactly what he said - I've missed it if they have. Anyone know?

SIAP - I just did a quick search through the FF threads

He talked about it in his post game interview, told them they were a really good team and to hold their heads up. I believe he also said they would win a lot of games this year. Pretty classy. Go Vols!

I think he came over to say good job and one of the players said shut up ur terrible. That's when butch started pointing the finger and said be nice because I'll be your nutrition and sleep coach this time next year

Reactions: 1 person
Seriously. That's embarrassing. Those guys don't respect him He nearly gave them the game and was out coached 10 to 1. Take care of ur own team and stay outta other teams huddles

If the Internet had been in existence in 1939, I swear there would be Tennessee fans screaming to fire Neyland cause his offense was boring.

After seeing the video, anyone complaining about Butch's postgame actions is just looking for something to complain about. The 60 minutes on the field prior to his postgame pat on the back provided more than enough of that.

Last edited:
I saw good and bad in it.

On the plus side: nice show of respect by Butch.

On the minus side: he seemed uninvited by the ASU coach (guy seemed surprised, more than anything), and you generally don't barge into a peer's meeting without permission. Plus, his body language was wrong; too much pointing of his finger at them. I'm sure his words were complimentary, but his body language was aggressive.

On the whole, might have been better if he had walked up to the coach and quietly asked if it would be okay to address the fellows first. Then keep his hands down to his sides.

As a spur of the moment thing, it was clearly well-intentioned, but not well-considered.

That's how it seemed to me, anyway.

You know, I think it would be funny to see how all of you would react to being psychoanalyzed for every interaction you do.

And to think some of you will or already reproduced.

Adter seeing the video, anyone complaining about Butch's postgame actions is just looking for something to complain about. The 60 minutes on the field prior to his postgame pat on the back provided more than enough of that.

Don't forget, Neyland wouldn't have won games by large enough margins either. WTH!

You seem to side with the dreaded "political correctness" side of things.

Heh, I've never been called politically correct in my long life, but thanks. :)

Nope, I just know what it feels like to be a leader, talking to your men, and have a fellow leader walk up and interrupt without forewarning or even a 'by-your-leave.'

And that's what it looked like happened on the field with the App State post-game huddle.

Once again, no problem with the "what" or the "why"...just pointing out that Butch could've done a better job with the "how".

You know, I think it would be funny to see how all of you would react to being psychoanalyzed for every interaction you do.

And to think some of you will or already reproduced.

Oh, I have been. You can't serve a career in leadership roles and not have your every move scrutinized, week after week, month after month, year after year. Comes with the territory. You learn to think of it as background noise, learn what you can from your mistakes and ignore the rest.

Really appreciate you asking after my daughters, they're fine, thanks. :hi:

Last edited:
Still can't believe you guys are getting up in arms about a coach showing respect to his opponent.

UT paid them over 1 mil, it was UT's stadium and their 50 yd line.

Butch could have dropped a deuce in the middle of their huddle if he wanted to.

VN Store

Back