Butch Jones Crashes App St Post-Game Huddle

Good intentions maybe, but if I were an App St player I'd find that very disrespectful. You won't do that with a big name program. I took it more like a -hey little buddy, nice try- with a pat on the head.

Reactions: 8 people
The forums that matter (Appy State) has nothing but good things to say and respect for Butch coming over and talking to their team.

Yeah, here's the thread I think you are talking about.

UT coach and on field talk - Mountaineer Message Board

I don't think it's entirely accurate to say "nothing but good things" are being said. The same things being said pro and con here by our fans are basically the same things being said by their fans - at least in that thread.

My favorite:

He meant well.

That works here, and on my tombstone.

:)

Reactions: 1 person
I will take their championships over saying congrats to an opposing coach!

Yeah but we're not taking about championships. We're talking about morals, qualities, and characteristics of a coach. Saban and miles are both complete pricks. I'd rather have a respectful coach than a dick head

Reactions: 2 people
Well-intentioned as it may have been, it WAS a bit disrespectful for Jones to just interrupt Satterfield's post game speech to his team.

If we blew them out you wouldn't care. But because we looked horrible and you're mad at Butch you are looking for anything you can find to pile on. It's weak.

Reactions: 11 people
Maybe wait until Satterfield is done talking with his team? This is a pattern with Butch, he treats his life as if he's the subject of a running biography, the star of the show. He could have waited to meet Satterfield in their locker room. But there aren't any cameras there.

Stfu. Loser.

Reactions: 5 people
Hello Vol Fans. They were on our 50 yard line. Butch could have done anything he wanted and I would be fine with it.

You all need to get over yourselves. The glory years had 1 natty thanks to a close 1st game win at Syracuse and a fumble in Arky. These are college kids doing their best and I LOVE to watch them play! Appy got breaks and couldn't finish - sounds familiar? I doubt they score 1st IF we didn't fumble a punt. We have the talent to compete so sit back and enjoy the ride. There will be plenty of mistakes along the way and I will enjoy reading about each one here on the greatest fan website ever!!

Another poster said it best "My liver can't take this". We are still 1-0.

Flame Away!

Go Vols!!

Reactions: 8 people
I didn't like how butch just thrust his way in there. App State coach was speaking and butch just interrupted. The intention was good, but the execution sucked. Kind of a theme of the night.

Reactions: 3 people
So OU isn't a big name program?

We didn't beat Oregon or Oklahoma. Which OU did we beat that are you speaking of?

Charlie Weiss spoke to USC in their locker room after losing to them in that great '05 game. Saying "hey guys, congrats and good luck for the rest of the year" is different when you're addressing a winning team and losing team. Not to mention, let their own coach address his team first.

I found it weird and out of place, but it doesn't matter what any of us think about it anyway.

We didn't beat Oregon or Oklahoma. Which OU did we beat that are you speaking of?

Charlie Weiss spoke to USC in their locker room after losing to them in that great '05 game. Saying "hey guys, congrats and good luck for the rest of the year" is different when you're addressing a winning team and losing team. Not to mention, let their own coach address his team first.

I found it weird and out of place, but it doesn't matter what any of us think about it anyway.

He did the same thing to OU after the loss last year. Your comment is wrong. Period. Complaining about this makes you look petty and small.

Reactions: 6 people
Yeah, here's the thread I think you are talking about.

UT coach and on field talk - Mountaineer Message Board

I don't think it's entirely accurate to say "nothing but good things" are being said. The same things being said pro and con here by our fans are basically the same things being said by their fans - at least in that thread.

My favorite:

:)
Every fan forum has their version of our Catbone. It is what it is.

I saw good and bad in it.

On the plus side: nice show of respect by Butch.

On the minus side: he seemed uninvited by the ASU coach (guy seemed surprised, more than anything), and you generally don't barge into a peer's meeting without permission. Plus, his body language was wrong; too much pointing of his finger at them. I'm sure his words were complimentary, but his body language was aggressive.

On the whole, might have been better if he had walked up to the coach and quietly asked if it would be okay to address the fellows first. Then keep his hands down to his sides.

As a spur of the moment thing, it was clearly well-intentioned, but not well-considered.

That's how it seemed to me, anyway.

You seem to side with the dreaded "political correctness" side of things.

There's such a lack of encouragement toward each other in the world anymore that when some people see it, it's such a strange phenomenon, they must disect and analyze the chit out of it.

Reactions: 4 people
I thought it showed butch is actually non scripted at times. He was moved by their performance and felt the need to tell them. He wasn't looking for cameras. His reaction was raw and finally gives us a glimpse at the man behind the screen.

Butch gets criticized for his rhetoric and when he breaks from it, gets criticized also.

Agree, Damned if he do and Damned if he don't!

Hello Vol Fans. They were on our 50 yard line. Butch could have done anything he wanted and I would be fine with it.

You all need to get over yourselves. The glory years had 1 natty thanks to a close 1st game win at Syracuse and a fumble in Arky. These are college kids doing their best and I LOVE to watch them play! Appy got breaks and couldn't finish - sounds familiar? I doubt they score 1st IF we didn't fumble a punt. We have the talent to compete so sit back and enjoy the ride. There will be plenty of mistakes along the way and I will enjoy reading about each one here on the greatest fan website ever!!

Another poster said it best "My liver can't take this". We are still 1-0.

Flame Away!

Go Vols!!

Good positive post!! Post more often please! 😄

Reactions: 2 people
Does anyone know if Butch might have asked Satterfield for permission immediately after the game?

"Hey coach, I'd like to congratulate your team on a great game. Is that okay?"

"No problem."

There's likely some unwritten etiquette on such things and I doubt very seriously CBJ just decided on a whim to crash the huddle without anyone knowing it from Appy State. And furthermore, nobody knows exactly what was said so there is no reason to jump to conclusions...never mind, it's VN.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back