Butch Jones Crashes App St Post-Game Huddle

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Was hoping someone may have reported exactly what he said - I've missed it if they have. Anyone know?

SIAP - I just did a quick search through the FF threads

I'm sure he told them he was very impressed with their team and coaching and that they will have a very big year.

Reactions: 1 person
You'd have to be a complete idiot if you complain about Butch congratulating Appalachian St. on a hard fought game. That's just showing class. I think they deserve our respect.

Reactions: 64 people
Maybe wait until Satterfield is done talking with his team? This is a pattern with Butch, he treats his life as if he's the subject of a running biography, the star of the show. He could have waited to meet Satterfield in their locker room. But there aren't any cameras there.

Reactions: 19 people
I saw good and bad in it.

On the plus side: nice show of respect by Butch.

On the minus side: he seemed uninvited by the ASU coach (guy seemed surprised, more than anything), and you generally don't barge into a peer's meeting without permission. Plus, his body language was wrong; too much pointing of his finger at them. I'm sure his words were complimentary, but his body language was aggressive.

On the whole, might have been better if he had walked up to the coach and quietly asked if it would be okay to address the fellows first. Then keep his hands down to his sides.

As a spur of the moment thing, it was clearly well-intentioned, but not well-considered.

That's how it seemed to me, anyway.

The forums that matter (Appy State) has nothing but good things to say and respect for Butch coming over and talking to their team.

Just Butch trying to show respect cause he got his butt whooped. Really not that much to it but I'm sure it'll be overanalyzed

Reactions: 5 people
I don't think it makes sense to wait... he's just going to stand around outside their huddle looking like an idiot - detracting from whatever their coach has to say? I think it was fine - he goes and speaks to the coach immediately after the game - he can go speak to the players immediately after the game. It's not like he gave a speech or anything.

Anyway, I was just curious exactly what he said - if it was something more than the standard platitudes

Reactions: 9 people
Not sure how what he did could be interpreted as anything but classy. But I guess people will find the negative in anything

Reactions: 14 people
I saw good and bad in it.

On the plus side: nice show of respect by Butch.

On the minus side: he seemed uninvited by the ASU coach (guy seemed surprised, more than anything), and you generally don't barge into a peer's meeting without permission. Plus, his body language was wrong; too much pointing of his finger at them. I'm sure his words were complimentary, but his body language was aggressive.

On the whole, might have been better if he had walked up to the coach and quietly asked if it would be okay to address the fellows first. Then keep his hands down to his sides.

As a spur of the moment thing, it was clearly well-intentioned, but not well-considered.

That's how it seemed to me, anyway.

Might of said "you son of b*tches, bout damn near made me piss my self." Lol nah, jk.

Maybe wait until Satterfield is done talking with his team? This is a pattern with Butch, he treats his life as if he's the subject of a running biography, the star of the show. He could have waited to meet Satterfield in their locker room. But there aren't any cameras there.

Lol, you really hate him don't you.

Are you guys really making a big deal out of this?

Butch is a class act and was showing respect, which was well deserved by App St.

If you watch the players reactions they seemed to have welcomed it.

Stop trying to spin and over analyze everything.

Reactions: 5 people
I thought it showed butch is actually non scripted at times. He was moved by their performance and felt the need to tell them. He wasn't looking for cameras. His reaction was raw and finally gives us a glimpse at the man behind the screen.

Butch gets criticized for his rhetoric and when he breaks from it, gets criticized also.

Reactions: 9 people
I thought it showed butch is actually non scripted at times. He was moved by their performance and felt the need to tell them. He wasn't looking for cameras. His reaction was raw and finally gives us a glimpse at the man behind the screen.

Butch gets criticized for his rhetoric and when he breaks from it, gets criticized also.

That's just the world we live in now. It's impossible to please everyone.

Someone will always complain.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't get me wrong, I agree it was a nice and respectful gesture.

Sometimes the "what" and "why" can be right, and the "how" still be off-kilter. That's all I meant to say in my mixed response. The "how" was off.

I do not fault Butch at all for what he did or why.

Go Vols!

I'm sure Jones had good intentions but honestly, if I were Appy's coach I would have told Jones to get the hell away from my team.

Reactions: 3 people
Hubby is a Dawg - we were at the Dome this weekend in the RV. After we got set up Friday, we went walking around the RV lot. I Was, of course, proudly displaying my Power T. Every single fan of both teams told me what a classy move they thought this was. Every. Single. One.

Why oh why do so many on Volnation look for a reason to find fault with CBJ? I am proud to call that man our coach.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back