Butch Jones 10 Years as HC

The thing is ppl are trying to prove CBJ being great at this point of his tenure. We will not accept being lied to. Of course he has gotten UT out of suckage to mediocre. ....it coulda shoulda been better last couple yrs. But for the most part coaching malpractice kept UT from getting past mediocre. Ultimately CBJ is responsible for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory several times.

Exactly which posters have said that Butch is "great"?

Reactions: 4 people
10-3/4 SECE Champs and a Sugar Bowl visit? Yeah, id be happy
Was willing to pay to go see either, didnt go to MCB, not worth the money.

Excepting loses to lesser teams on the notion " we would have been beaten by a better team" is a loser mentality.

Speaking of a loser mentality. The team didn't meet your expectations so you turned your back on them by not supporting them with your presence in their bowl. Shame on you.

Reactions: 2 people

d2c936a01c3dc523e33fd56dc12fc475.gif

Continued improvement of talent, wins

Is there a particular player and or position that you consider to have experienced growth on a level to promote unbridled optimism?

enthusiasm about the team and bowl wins.

Not sure how that translates into a performance enhancer for next year, but ok.

Up until 2016 which was a disappointing outcome relative to where the hype had us. I choose to be optimistic about team 121 until proven wrong.

So, just to clarify, your expectations on the success season were based off of preseason "hype", and not recruiting/player development/coaching? Or you just consider the season disappointing because it didn't measure up the hype?

At some point, the fan base as a whole, has to get past Derek Dooley. I understand he set the bar so very low, that any improvement, is good to some people, but just being better than Derek Dooley is not the standard to judge all future football coaches at the University of Tennessee.

Just the one who followed him.

Speaking of a loser mentality. The team didn't meet your expectations so you turned your back on them by not supporting them with your presence in their bowl. Shame on you.

Yeah thats it, good grief. I took off work to watch the bowl. Didnt go cause money went to a disney trip following week and no i wasnt spending that much to go to the mcb after spending several thousand to attend when i did. Continue on with your stupidity.

Yeah thats it, good grief. I took off work to watch the bowl. Didnt go cause money went to a disney trip following week and no i wasnt spending that much to go to the mcb after spending several thousand to attend when i did. Continue on with your stupidity.

Why does everyone who calls you out or disagrees with you have to be stupid or ignorant? Does it make you feel more manly or just smarter. I've read some of your posts where you get onto others for calling you stupid. Why do you feel that's an option for you?

Reactions: 4 people
Is there a particular player and or position that you consider to have experienced growth on a level to promote unbridled optimism?

Not sure how that translates into a performance enhancer for next year, but ok.

So, just to clarify, your expectations on the success season were based off of preseason "hype", and not recruiting/player development/coaching? Or you just consider the season disappointing because it didn't measure up the hype?
You asked an honest question, I gave you an honest answer. Respect it.

If the next coach can take the good recruits and actually win with them instead of fail with them, are we not better off?

A program is more than wins and losses. You just don't replace a coach that has rebuilt a program because he has lost a few he shouldn't have. What coach worth his salt would want to come here after seeing a coach bring a program from the brink of destruction just to be fired? If the program becomes stagnant or begins to decline, then a move should be made. Like it or not, we are much better off with Butch than we were before he came.

Reactions: 1 person
Is Butch capable of winning consistently? Can his team become an over achiever? I like Butch because he works hard at making our team better. He has proven he can recruit. I agree that player development is lacking. We do not have americas best football staff, hopefully the changes will help. Despite the coach speak Butch is not stupid. I believe he does know what he is doing. He took a few big hits this year loosing to SCJr while the Hurd thing boiled beneath the surface. Candy was an inferior team but did play well aginst us. They will never play another game that well.
I feel Butch is making some good adjustments with the staff. But we need further changes to be top rung. They must be both recruiters and player developers. I am for cleaning house after signing day so we can get on with recruiting for 2018.
With a better staff Butch can win the close games aginst the best teams and win some we shouldn't.

Reactions: 1 person
Is Butch capable of winning consistently? Can his team become an over achiever? I like Butch because he works hard at making our team better. He has proven he can recruit. I agree that player development is lacking. We do not have americas best football staff, hopefully the changes will help. Despite the coach speak Butch is not stupid. I believe he does know what he is doing. He took a few big hits this year loosing to SCJr while the Hurd thing boiled beneath the surface. Candy was an inferior team but did play well aginst us. They will never play another game that well.
I feel Butch is making some good adjustments with the staff. But we need further changes to be top rung. They must be both recruiters and player developers. I am for cleaning house after signing day so we can get on with recruiting for 2018.
With a better staff Butch can win the close games aginst the best teams and win some we shouldn't.

There won't be many that we shouldn't win.

We have 4 toss up games and 8 gimmies.

It's time we won the East and beat bama again.

So you would rather lose to USCe and Vandy than OU or Bama? That explains a lot.

Your unintentional admission that you wouldn't have trusted Jones to find a way to be competitive vs OU and Bama is also interesting.

Hogwash.
No DTs, no jrm, no ev berry, etc.
UA and OU are fully developed programs. We're not and can't afford mass or key injuries, and certainly not both.

Reactions: 3 people
It's the absolutism that I quarrel with. "A=7 and if you don't agree you are F". Doesn't make sense so I'm "apologizing for mediocrity". :loco: I don't like people telling me what my standards are or should be. How do I know what THEIR qualifications are? :fool:

Yeah. Nixon took us off of the gold standard in 1971.

I've been around too long to invest as much into the discourse which seems to manifest in every Tennessee football thread - "Butch sucks." "No, he doesn't."

Are you aware that Bill Battle had a better winning percentage (0.723) than Johnny Majors (0.645)? And Vols fans sent moving vans to his house, repeatedly. After each loss to Bama, two or three might show up.

Yeah, BB was a Bear Bryant protege. Dickey hired him. When Doug-boy stopped coaching the Vols, Battle was elevated to HC. The fans didn't care for this much, a Bear protege as HC of Tennessee. Send in the vans.

Like I said, I've been around awhile...

I confess to being an unwavering fan of the Vols through thick and thin, through the tenures of many coaches, team after team... Tennessee is my alma mater. The Vols are my team. If the tenure of Mike Hamilton as AD didn't break my school spirit, I reckon nothing will.

I confess to posting light-hearted comments and sagacious appeals to calmer temperaments. I'd rather have a Nehi and let the whippersnappers mix it up about the strengths and virtues, faults and foibles of our coach and football program.

And, just to prove that I am not above pulling the chair out from under myself, I confess to having been told by a few comely women that I've a big, pretty penis.

Why does everyone who calls you out or disagrees with you have to be stupid or ignorant? Does it make you feel more manly or just smarter. I've read some of your posts where you get onto others for calling you stupid. Why do you feel that's an option for you?

Because ita stupid to assume i didnt attend the bowl game to make some statement and" turn my bank on the team"

VN Store

Back