Butch Jones 10 Years as HC

Sorry...but the negavols here on Volnation know far more than any stats or trends that you can provide! Sad

:lolabove:

He parses the stats and the best he can come up with is a poor win % in both his career and at UT? His STATS support our skepticism and criticism of Jones.

Reactions: 3 people
2-2 vs Vandy
0-3 vs Muschamp

are all the stats you need to know. If Butch had some conference (real conference like SEC) or NC wins those horrible stats could be excused to some extent, but he does not.

How'd that work out for Fulmer? 1 year removed from the SEC title game he was told to hit the bricks....

I hope you are not serious! If you are, this is one of the most ignorant posts on volnation I have ever seen. This is like saying because Bear Bryant never beat General Neyland Bear Bryant was a terrible coach! This posts says more about you than it does Jones' coaching ability.
:thud::loco:

You lost all credibility when you compared beating Muschamp to beating Neyland. Fail.

Reactions: 4 people
I hope you are not serious! If you are, this is one of the most ignorant posts on volnation I have ever seen. This is like saying because Bear Bryant never beat General Neyland Bear Bryant was a terrible coach! This posts says more about you than it does Jones' coaching ability.

Miles lost his job simply because he could not beat Saban. But Butch can't beat a coach 1/10 as good as Saban and he gets a pass by some.

Reactions: 1 person
How'd that work out for Fulmer? 1 year removed from the SEC title game he was told to hit the bricks....

The writing had been on the wall for Fulmer for years prior.
Let's not compare the two.

Even with Fulmers best teams Jones would find a way to lose a game he shouldn't

Reactions: 2 people
Miles lost his job simply because he could not beat Saban. But Butch can't beat a coach 1/10 as good as Saban and he gets a pass by some.

No, Miles lost his job because he was a stubborn ole mule who refused to change along with losing to Saban.

Bear Bryant was a great coach, but the General was better.

That is why Bear Bryant never beat him.

That is not too hard to understand.

Conversely, Muschamp is a terrible coach, but Butch has never beaten him.

You can do with that whatever you want, but nobody thinks Butch can lose to Muschamp again in 2017 and still be HC on Rocky Top in 2018.

Not even Butch believes that. That is why some of our assistant coaches don't work here anymore.

Last edited:

Conversely, Muschamp is a terrible coach, but Butch has never beat him.

You can do with that whatever you want, but nobody thinks Butch can lose to Muschamp again in 2017 and still be HC on Rocky Top in 2018.

Not even Butch believes that. That is why some of our assistant coaches don't work here anymore.

With a bare team full of spare parts he managed to beat jones best team arguably coming off a BYE week.

Why can't folks understand that?

The writing had been on the wall for Fulmer for years prior.
Let's not compare the two.

Even with Fulmers best teams Jones would find a way to lose a game he shouldn't

Your failing to read my response the way I meant for it to be taken, I was just responding to the guy who said that losing to candy and SC would be overlooked if you had NC and SEC titles. That's all no comparison to the 2. I still think we are on the rite track to being the top east program but I still believe that staff changes need to be made on top of what has already taken place. We desperately need a true good OL coach and I believe we will see major results. We can upgrade position coaches all we want but the game begins and ends on the line.

Conversely, Muschamp is a terrible coach, but Butch has never beat him.

Bear was a very young coach and Neyland was a seasoned veteran at the time of their meetings. That is why he never beat him. I am sure Bear learned a lot from Neyland and applied that to his own career to great success.

If Jones were fired after next season, he would leave a roster good enough for the next coach not to "start over again"... and he might just move the program in the right direction.

Perhaps...he definitely inherited a train wreck in terms of talent...he's signed a lot of talent to get the base talent level up to SEC level...next guy in could be like Mac down at Florida...he has thrived on muschamps recruits.

Yea, let's start over again...we're not moving in the right direction....

I'm still holding out hope that he can put it all together this season. That being said, despite injuries, the inability to out-scheme South Carolina and Vandy with far more talent on paper was extremely worrisome. I think if he somehow hits 8-4 or better this season he deserves more time. Anything less and perhaps 5 years of averaging about 3 SEC wins a year is enough.

8 bowl appearances in 10 years
6-2 in bowls
6 bowl wins in a row*
80-48 (62.5%)
30-21 at UT (58.8%)

*Probably longest active streak in FBS

Can I ask you an honest question?

Why did you feel the need to put "probably the longest active streak in FBS?" Trying to prove, whatever point you are trying to prove and putting probably in the write up is probably not a good idea.

Perhaps...he definitely inherited a train wreck in terms of talent...he's signed a lot of talent to get the base talent level up to SEC level...next guy in could be like Mac down at Florida...he has thrived on muschamps recruits.

If the next coach can take the good recruits and actually win with them instead of fail with them, are we not better off?

But with a mess at QB he managed to go to the SECG. Whats that say about Jones?

I'm still holding out hope that he can put it all together this season. That being said, despite injuries, the inability to out-scheme South Carolina and Vandy with far more talent on paper was extremely worrisome. I think if he somehow hits 8-4 or better this season he deserves more time. Anything less and perhaps 5 years of averaging about 3 SEC wins a year is enough.

Hell im holding out hope too but take the stuff we know and the wins don't get to 8+

Op, I like you and all, but I'm not sure this was the way to go.

Most who think that Jones is a great coach, state so because his record is okay.. despite injuries or Hurd or what he inherited (blah blah blah) without that, you kinda gift wrapped this one.

And judging by the sheer number of them and the number of posts already made, they've been chomping at the bit all morning waiting for something like this.
It's like you installed a urinal cake that said " I'm still optimistic". You gave these guys nothing but a target.

No, Miles lost his job because he was a stubborn ole mule who refused to change along with losing to Saban.

The tangible result of being a stubborn ole mule was his inability to beat Saban. Not beating Saban was the metric that got him fired. If he was a stubborn mule who also beat Saban he'd still have his job. He was fired because he could not beat Saban.

8 bowl appearances in 10 years
6-2 in bowls
6 bowl wins in a row*
80-48 (62.5%)
30-21 at UT (58.8%)

*Probably longest active streak in FBS

Really isn't much impressive at all. 59% wins at TN and 63% win overall (Roughly averages a 7-5 season). Six bowls in a row but he underachieved to end up in crappy bowl this year. Had he not messed up, he would be in Sugar Bowl against OU. Now that would be something to put in your resume !! Add a SEC championship game to that, had he not sucked against USCjr.
Oh wait, add another SEC title game to that had he not blown double digit leads to OU, FL and Arky last year !!

Man .. i just killed your buzz, didn't I ?

Reactions: 4 people

Right. Pointing out that Jones is 0-3 against one of the worst coaches in the SEC and is 2-2 against a perennial bottom feeder... says more about the person who points it out than the person who has that record.:no:

Your analogy fails badly btw. Neyland was a GREAT coach... Muschamp isn't. Vandy isn't a talented program. The comparison simply doesn't hold up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back