Butch Jones 10 Years as HC

Very average numbers. And making it to a bowl this last decade isn't very hard.

This.

I don't get why making a bowl game is still considered much of an achievement. It's become the equivalent of getting a D+/C-. Yeah you passed, but you didn't exactly do that well. When there are so many bowl games that 5-7 teams are getting in, it's time to stop touting that.

But but but DOOLEY!

Reactions: 3 people
Perhaps...he definitely inherited a train wreck in terms of talent...he's signed a lot of talent to get the base talent level up to SEC level...next guy in could be like Mac down at Florida...he has thrived on muschamps recruits.

UT can't afford that IMO. UF can rebuild on instate talent almost overnight with the right coach. It is much more critical that UT's coach do both... and that the roster NEVER again reaches the point it was when Fulmer was finally fired before a coach is shown the door. You set a coach up to fail when it is like that.

Jones has had this disadvantage. That is NOT the reason for my dissatisfaction with him. He has brought in the talent... he just can't seem to get the most out of it for 4 years running.

Reactions: 1 person
8 bowl appearances in 10 years
6-2 in bowls
6 bowl wins in a row*
80-48 (62.5%)
30-21 at UT (58.8%)

*Probably longest active streak in FBS

WE39RE-GONNA-BE-GREAT-AGAIN-meme-35664.jpg

There needs to be a moratorium on these kinds of threads. Regardless of your outlook, there are about 6 stalwart leaders of the Lyle Brigade who are ready to jump in and argue his weaknesses until everyone capitulates. Even if we beat Bama next year, they will continue to beat their drum until he is replaced. Of course the next coach will also have weaknesses and make mistakes so their cycle can continue...

Next will be the responses saying that I like mediocrity...

Not true, but I am tired of the incessant belly-aching.

Reactions: 5 people
There needs to be a moratorium on these kinds of threads. Regardless of your outlook, there are about 6 stalwart leaders of the Lyle Brigade who are ready to jump in and argue his weaknesses until everyone capitulates. Even if we beat Bama next year, they will continue to beat their drum until he is replaced. Of course the next coach will also have weaknesses and make mistakes so their cycle can continue...

Next will be the responses saying that I like mediocrity...

Not true, but I am tired of the incessant belly-aching.

Just like the same 6 Butch is God leaders keep trying to tell us how he's obviously awesome.

I'm not exactly anti-Butch and yes some of the negative stuff gets old, but so does the constant force-feeding of how he's outstanding and anyone who doesn't see it is an idiot.

Just like the same 6 Butch is God leaders keep trying to tell us how he's obviously awesome.

I'm not exactly anti-Butch and yes some of the negative stuff gets old, but so does the constant force-feeding of how he's outstanding and anyone who doesn't see it is an idiot.

True, but you have to be able to have a conversation without the same drivel being posted Cyndi Lauper style.
At least the OP. came up with something new.

True, but you have to be able to have a conversation without the same drivel being posted Cyndi Lauper style.
At least the OP. came up with something new.

True but it sounded like any criticism of what he posted is just "nega Vol" stuff, which isn't close to being true.

I coached peewee football for a couple of year. We got beat pretty bad by another team. Our league was 8-9 year olds, Half my team was 6-7 year olds. The team that whipped up on us was later removed from our league for playing 10-11 year olds. I wonder if those people were happy about beating us and wonder how good they would have done against teams that were comparable to them?

Cool non-relevant story, bro.

Reactions: 7 people
The effort required to make the case that Butch is a good coach is FAR greater than the effort required to prove he's not.

I agree.

I'm not a Butch "worshipper". I think he's average to good. I hope he's more, but doubt it. He's what I've got leading "my" team. While he is that leader, I will wish him the best and not talk crap about him. I may be critical at times, but I refuse to "hate " on him.

But, the effort required to prove he is a good coach is only "required" because so much effort is put forth to prove he's not. I don't think it's always trying to prove he's a good coach as much as just trying to prove he ain't as bad as some try to " prove" he is.

Sometimes, everybody from both sides, the "extremist" especially, needs to just stfu.

Jmo, as best as I could convey it.

Reactions: 7 people
If Jones were fired after next season, he would leave a roster good enough for the next coach not to "start over again"... and he might just move the program in the right direction.

If he doesn't make the grade and is fired the new coach with his new staff and his new offense and new process will hit the reset button. If CBJ's players don't fit the new guy's vision then the new coach will need a couple of years to get his guys in place even if we have an over all up grade in talent.

As for the defense the new guy could keep the 4-3 defense and just make better calls.

Same goes for the offense the new guy could keep what we are doing and just mix up the play calls better.

A better coach would have fewer penalties, turnovers and injuries. CBJ needs to up his game if he wants to continue being the HC at UT.

Maybe our QB will spend more time in the film room rather than the library the week of the biggest game of the year.

Maybe the team will take Vandy a little more serious. To say losing to Vandy is an embarrassment is a sign of the lack of respect they had for such a crappy team.

Maybe our new S&C coach will put an edge on our guys. Too many comments from 120 referred to having fun on the field. It's time to treat football like the business it is and get mean about it all.

Release the Beast!

LBJ is 4-2 in bowls. 2 of the bowls were coached by the interim after he left.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't want to put in his conference champion statistics?

2-8 (Ties don't count)
4-6 (Ties do count)​

But those don't help push the idea that CBJ is awesome do they?

I think I'd be OK with 4 conference championships every 10 years. That's a lot more than we've been winning.

I hope you are not serious! If you are, this is one of the most ignorant posts on volnation I have ever seen. This is like saying because Bear Bryant never beat General Neyland Bear Bryant was a terrible coach! This posts says more about you than it does Jones' coaching ability.
:thud::loco:

Sorry, I did not realize Muschamp=Bear Bryant. Such ignorance on my part! :crazy:

How about the 12 of you guys go somewhere private and hash this all out so the rest of us stop getting pulled into the middle of it?

Typical for someone that has no facts to prove CBJ is the right coach.

"At least he is better than Dooley" is weak

For me the way we came back on Florida after being down 21-0 gives me hope that CBJ can get it together. I think he has this year and next to either prove it or blow it.

I agree.

I'm not a Butch "worshipper". I think he's average to good. I hope he's more, but doubt it. He's what I've got leading "my" team. While he is that leader, I will wish him the best and not talk crap about him. I may be critical at times, but I refuse to "hate " on him.

But, the effort required to prove he is a good coach is only "required" because so much effort is put forth to prove he's not. I don't think it's always trying to prove he's a good coach as much as just trying to prove he ain't as bad as some try to " prove" he is.

Sometimes, everybody from both sides, the "extremist" especially, needs to just stfu.

Jmo, as best as I could convey it.
Outstanding post that unfortunately will fall on deaf ears. I think the vast majority of us are in the same boat with you. We just don't post on a daily basis about it like some of the extremists do.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back