Butch Jones 10 Years as HC

How about this: "Can anyone think of a HC who's won his last 6 bowl games? I can't. Here's a few I'm sure of:

Saban
Meyer
Stoops
Jimbo Fischer
Dabo Swinney
M. Richt
Brian Kelly
Chip Kelly
Sumlin
Jame Franklin
Hugh Freeze
Jim McElwain
Dan Mullen
Bret Bielema
Gus Malzahn
Mark Dantonio
Kirk Ferentz
Jim Harbaugh

These are the guys who make more money than Butch, plus Brian Kelly."

Butch Jones didn't coach during bowl games in 2009 or 2012, so it's somewhat irrelevant to post a list of coaches who have won 6 bowl games in a row.

If he doesn't make the grade and is fired the new coach with his new staff and his new offense and new process will hit the reset button. If CBJ's players don't fit the new guy's vision then the new coach will need a couple of years to get his guys in place even if we have an over all up grade in talent.
This is a consistently overstated problem on this site very likely due to the desire to excuse Jones for not getting the most out of his first two teams.

McElwain came in with someone else's personnel, changed the system, and has won the East twice. Saban had one off year with what was left, changed the D completely, and began to win. Meyer changed the O at UF and tOSU completely having been left pro-style personnel and won lots of games.

If you have talented players and good coaching, you don't have to "reset" in a crippling way.

[quote[A better coach would have fewer penalties, turnovers and injuries. CBJ needs to up his game if he wants to continue being the HC at UT.[/quote] Agreed. But for the sake of the program, the powers that be cannot be patient for much longer.

Maybe our QB will spend more time in the film room rather than the library the week of the biggest game of the year.
Another greatly overplayed excuse for an inexcusable loss. If Jones knew that Dobbs wasn't ready to play then he should have said so and started Dormady. UT should have been able to beat USCe comfortably with any of its non-RS QB's.

Maybe the team will take Vandy a little more serious.
Jones has a "Vandy" pretty much every year.

IMO, it is a problem that we still have so many "maybes" heading into a HC's 5th year.

Reactions: 1 person
This is a consistently overstated problem on this site very likely due to the desire to excuse Jones for not getting the most out of his first two teams.

McElwain came in with someone else's personnel, changed the system, and has won the East twice. Saban had one off year with what was left, changed the D completely, and began to win. Meyer changed the O at UF and tOSU completely having been left pro-style personnel and won lots of games.

If you have talented players and good coaching, you don't have to "reset" in a crippling way.

McElwain also did it with back up QB's both years, adding to our misery.

How about this: "Can anyone think of a HC who's won his last 6 bowl games? I can't. Here's a few I'm sure of:

Saban
Meyer
Stoops
Jimbo Fischer
Dabo Swinney
M. Richt
Brian Kelly
Chip Kelly
Sumlin
Jame Franklin
Hugh Freeze
Jim McElwain
Dan Mullen
Bret Bielema
Gus Malzahn
Mark Dantonio
Kirk Ferentz
Jim Harbaugh

Make more money?

Maybe you should check out some of the trophy cases at their respective schools. That should clear up a lot of the list.

For some context.
Jones is something in the ballpark of 3-15 against the coaches you listed while he's been here.

Saban
Meyer
Stoops
Jimbo Fischer
Dabo Swinney
M. Richt
Brian Kelly
Chip Kelly
Sumlin
Jame Franklin
Hugh Freeze
Jim McElwain
Dan Mullen
Bret Bielema
Gus Malzahn
Mark Dantonio
Kirk Ferentz
Jim Harbaugh

How about this
1. 5-7, blown out by 2. Oregon, 19. Florida, 1. Alabama, 10. Missouri, 9. Auburn, lose to 6. Georgia, UR Vandy
2. 6-6, 7-6 with bowl, blown out by 4. Oklahoma, 3 Ol Miss, lost to 12 UGA, UR Florida, 4. Alabama, 19 Missouri
3. 8-4,9-4 with bowl, lost to 19 Okalhoma, UR Florida, UR Arkansas, 8 Alabama, after either having a 14 point or 4th quater lead in all games
4. 8-4,9-4 with bowl lost to 8.TAM, UR USC, UR Vanderbilt, embarrased by 1 Alabama

Record at Tennessee 30-21 SEC 14-18
3-18 against ranked teams

Can you tell me why the record doesnt soeak for itself and we constantly have to have all these spins to make him seem better than what he is?

He is simply a mediocre coach, until he proves otherwise, that has a tendency to not have the ability to win a big game against a team with similiar or equal talent.

Reactions: 5 people

Saban
Meyer
Stoops
Jimbo Fischer
Dabo Swinney
M. Richt
Brian Kelly
Chip Kelly
Sumlin
Jame Franklin
Hugh Freeze
Jim McElwain
Dan Mullen
Bret Bielema
Gus Malzahn
Mark Dantonio
Kirk Ferentz
Jim Harbaugh

How many if these coaches does CJB have a better record than in:
- head to head
- SEC
- ranked teams

How about this
1. 5-7, blown out by 2. Oregon, 19. Florida, 1. Alabama, 10. Missouri, 9. Auburn, lose to 6. Georgia, UR Vandy
2. 6-6, 7-6 with bowl, blown out by 4. Oklahoma, 3 Ol Miss, lost to 12 UGA, UR Florida, 4. Alabama, 19 Missouri
3. 8-4,9-4 with bowl, lost to 19 Okalhoma, UR Florida, UR Arkansas, 8 Alabama, after either having a 14 point or 4th quater lead in all games
4. 8-4,9-4 with bowl lost to 8.TAM, UR USC, UR Vanderbilt, embarrased by 1 Alabama

Record at Tennessee 30-21 SEC 14-18
3-18 against ranked teams

Can you tell me why the record doesnt soeak for itself and we constantly have to have all these spins to make him seem better than what he is?

He is simply a mediocre coach, until he proves otherwise, that has a tendency to not have the ability to win a big game against a team with similiar or equal talent.

Impressive comeback wins v VaTech and UF, 684 yds of offense @ TAMU, beating UGA again, blowing out blue blood elite Nebraska: these are huge steps for this program given where we've been. Nobody has ever seen 18 injuries. The USC and Vandy losses were terrible. Butch closed the #1 recruit in the nation 2 of the last 3 years.

Bottom line: you're right to be dissatisfied, you and 125 other FBS teams not named Clemson, Alabama or Ohio State. If Butch keeps wining 9, he'll be here 'till he retires.

Last edited:

Saban
Meyer
Stoops
Jimbo Fischer
Dabo Swinney
M. Richt
Brian Kelly
Chip Kelly
Sumlin
Jame Franklin
Hugh Freeze
Jim McElwain
Dan Mullen
Bret Bielema
Gus Malzahn
Mark Dantonio
Kirk Ferentz
Jim Harbaugh

The first two alone both just played in the playoffs, one in the national championship. Personally, I'd rather lose in the NC but feel good about making it to that game, more than beating up on another mediocre big 10 team in a bowl game that nobody other than the respective fan bases or players care about.

Saban
Meyer
Stoops
Jimbo Fischer
Dabo Swinney
M. Richt
Brian Kelly
Chip Kelly
Sumlin
Jame Franklin
Hugh Freeze
Jim McElwain
Dan Mullen
Bret Bielema
Gus Malzahn
Mark Dantonio
Kirk Ferentz
Jim Harbaugh

Butch hasnt won his last 6 bowl games in a row. You really need to stop posting incorrect info.

Butch hasnt won his last 6 bowl games in a row. You really need to stop posting incorrect info.

I note the observation that Butch was not the game day HC of two teams who won bowls, as he'd twice moved to a better job in December. But they were HIS teams, and the quality of their play is why he got the better jobs.

Ergo, he gets the wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The first two alone both just played in the playoffs, one in the national championship. Personally, I'd rather lose in the NC but feel good about making it to that game, more than beating up on another mediocre big 10 team in a bowl game that nobody other than the respective fan bases or players care about.

Gotta say though, it seems weird how much credit Harbaugh and Meyer get for winning in their conference, then when we beat the same teams, it doesn't count.

Fair point.
But how would you feel if we'd beaten USCe and Vandy and, as surely would have happened, gotten blown out by Alabama and Oklahoma?

Fair point.
But how would you feel if we'd beaten USCe and Vandy and, as surely would have happened, gotten blown out by Alabama and Oklahoma?

10-3/4 SECE Champs and a Sugar Bowl visit? Yeah, id be happy
Was willing to pay to go see either, didnt go to MCB, not worth the money.

Excepting loses to lesser teams on the notion " we would have been beaten by a better team" is a loser mentality.

Bottom line: you're right to be dissatisfied, you and 125 other FBS teams not named Clemson, Alabama or Ohio State. If Butch keeps wining 9, he'll be here 'till he retires.

Unfortunately, you are probably right. But on a side note Mark Richt and Les Miles thought the same thing.

Fair point.

I'd like to think 10-4 with losses to Alabama x2, the OT loss to A&M, and Sugar Bowl loss to a very good Oklahoma team wouldn't leave as bad a taste in my mouth as 9-4 with losses to Vandy and USC but beating Nebraska who hasn't done a whole lot in recent history.

10-3/4 SECE Champs and a Sugar Bowl visit? Yeah, id be happy
Was willing to pay to go see either, didnt go to MCB, not worth the money.

Excepting loses to lesser teams on the notion " we would have been beaten by a better team" is a loser mentality.

Agreed. But sometimes (e.g., when you have 18 injuries and no DTs), it is better to run away and live to fight another day. With teams gashing us by running straight up the middle time and again, this was one of those times.

[quote[A better coach would have fewer penalties, turnovers and injuries. CBJ needs to up his game if he wants to continue being the HC at UT.
Agreed. But for the sake of the program, the powers that be cannot be patient for much longer.

Another greatly overplayed excuse for an inexcusable loss. If Jones knew that Dobbs wasn't ready to play then he should have said so and started Dormady. UT should have been able to beat USCe comfortably with any of its non-RS QB's.

Jones has a "Vandy" pretty much every year.

IMO, it is a problem that we still have so many "maybes" heading into a HC's 5th year.[/QUOTE]

The ole is what it is. He is here probably at least thru the 2018 season unless he blows it again( 3rd time is the charm).

It doesn't mater if we are fine with it or if we are angry because of it, the bottom line is nobody is thrilled by the past 2 years for sure. He has earned a C.

I think he has more in the tank. The way we beat Fl, Ga, VTech. The team could have easily folded up shop at halftime of any game we won and we would have lost them much like we did the SC and Vandy games. Going back to 2015 the OU, Fl, and the Ar the second halves got us like the other two.

They just need to put the pieces together and start playing complete games for the next 10 years. Sometimes talent will beat us, but let's stop being nice to our opponents and make them beat us rather than us giving so much away.

We need to fix turnovers, penalties, mistakes, poor play calling and injuries.

Release the Beast!

Fair point.

Well, we could at least look ourselves in the mirror.

Derek Mason dancing a jig on the sidelines should be something we NEVER have to endure.

Well, we could at least look ourselves in the mirror.

Derek Mason dancing a jig on the sidelines should be something we NEVER have to endure.

Valid point. Vandy earned that win so let them bask in it for a year. Most of us probably saw that loss coming shortly into the 3rd quarter. Jones will have at least one more opportunity to beat Vanderbilt. I'm not a CBJ fan but complaining now at this point is like complaining about Trump. You may not like him but he's the guy for now so hope he's successful.

Valid point. Vandy earned that win so let them bask in it for a year. Most of us probably saw that loss coming shortly into the 3rd quarter. Jones will have at least one more opportunity to beat Vanderbilt. I'm not a CBJ fan but complaining now at this point is like complaining about Trump. You may not like him but he's the guy for now so hope he's successful.
The thing is ppl are trying to prove CBJ being great at this point of his tenure. We will not accept being lied to. Of course he has gotten UT out of suckage to mediocre. ....it coulda shoulda been better last couple yrs. But for the most part coaching malpractice kept UT from getting past mediocre. Ultimately CBJ is responsible for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory several times.

Fair point.

So you would rather lose to USCe and Vandy than OU or Bama? That explains a lot.

Your unintentional admission that you wouldn't have trusted Jones to find a way to be competitive vs OU and Bama is also interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I note the observation that Butch was not the game day HC of two teams who won bowls, as he'd twice moved to a better job in December. But they were HIS teams, and the quality of their play is why he got the better jobs.

Ergo, he gets the wins.

According to pretty much only YOU. His official record will not reflect that.

VN Store

Back