Bama's new coach named - Kalen DeBoer

This has an Urban Meyer hire type feel to it. Bama got a good one I’m afraid and that’s bad for us because yearly they have more talent than us and they just hired a guy that has done more with less talent.
He was in a conference with 2 or 3 good teams. I'm not sold yet. I want to see what he does with his own guys in 2-3 years.

Reactions: TJSVOLS
Don't think it's been mentioned but I'm pretty sure he was the offensive coordinator at Indiana when we played them in the Gator Bowl in 2020.
We won 23-22 but they had a good offense and IMO they outplayed us.

Also...the tight end coach on that IU team was former Vol assistant Nick Sheridan. He's been with de Boer since then.
Yes, IU should have cut Tom Allen loose then and hired DeBoer.

Look for Sheridan to follow him to Bama. Like Heupel, DeBoer loves consistency on his coaching staff.

Everyone said that about Urban too.....
That's not exactly my memory of this place when Urban came to the SEC. Urban was bringing in a high tempo offensive system that hadn't been tested in a major conference. While some believed it was destined to fail against SEC defenses, most knew it could be a major problem. I remember sitting in my dorm room at Gibbs Hall trying to figure out whether Meyer would succeed, and coming across his Utah playbooks for sale on eBay. I talked to a few defensive players I was friends with at the time and they believed the Meyer Spread was going to take a few years for SEC teams to solve.

Reactions: njvols
Will West was going on this afternoon about what a great hire this is, but nothing really scares me about this guy. I know he's an offensive guy, but after watching his Washington team get shoved around by Michigan, I'm not that impressed. That fan base will be stupid unrealistic with their expectations. They will still expect to be in the title game every year. The dude has 0 ties to the SEC or the south for that matter. I'm curious to see how well he will recruit down there. A new pecking order is being established in the SEC. There will be a drop off next season and, in Neyland, it feels like a must win for Heupel now.

Reactions: EastTNVol6240
No matter who they hired will fail and won't take very long. Nobody will be able to get even close to what Saban did and those are the expectations their fan base is used too right now whether anyone wants to hear it or not. I was hoping they would hire Drinkwitz so CJH can beat up on him for a year or two before they get rid of him.
Wait till he loses at Wisconsin in week 3, then to Georgia in week 4. lol

Not hating on the hire entirely but had Penix got hurt against Oregon and they lost, Bama isn't even sniffing in his area code. They're only hiring him because he took less and beat Texas when the GOAT couldn't. There's no real body of work to judge on compared to some other candidates.

Again Bama showing how to conduct a coaching search. Zero in on high caliber coaches, don't allow Jimmy Sexton and other agents to pawn off bad coaches on you, and get it overvwith in just a few days, Don't let it it go on for weeks. If the Lady Vols BB coach is our next position of need don't do the typical UT search of flying around the country.
Again? 😂 Our fans have the attention span of a cat. Bama struck out on Rich Rod or they never land Saban. How do you think that would’ve turned out for them? They had several years of cluster before they landed Saban. Auburn stomped them five years in a roll, I think Tennessee had several wins over them in a roll as well.

This culture/region thing is a mindset of 20-40 years gone by. Recruiting services, social media, television, geographic migration and NIL have rendered the lack of ties to a region meaningless.
Exactly. Saban wasn’t a southern guy, Meyer wasn’t a southern guy, Heupel isn’t a southern guy, Stoops isn’t. I think if a guy is a great coach, he will fit anywhere in this era of college football.

It’s 2024 I don’t think it really matters if you’re from the f’ing south, North, East or West. If you’re a good coach you will win . If you’re not you’ll lose. How many coaches have we had from the f’ing south that sucked sewer balls. I know I can name a few . I don’t care where the guy is from just fricking win. At least be in it every year with a chance. All i ask for is two playoff appearances every 5 years in the 12 team format. That he is not from the SEC **** don’t matter any more. Not going to my death bed still living in the North vs South **** that happened HUNDREDS of years ago. WTF!

Reactions: sami and njvols
Guess he wanted the SEC over playing in the Big 10...12...16 or whatever the hell it is now.

You come to Bama and you are pretty much assured you will be in the playoffs...Washington in the Big 10 not so much.
I didn’t think about that. How likely is Washington to be as good without him? This could perhaps weaken the conference.

Tough to say how it will work out. The resume is impressive but he hasn't stayed at many of these jobs for a long time. I do think culture matters. Jumping into Alabama after Saban is going to be a level of pressure that he's not used. It's one thing to be in a 4 team pro sports town and run a very good college football program in the relative shadows and then run one where every decision you make is scrutinized ten times over for 365 days and compared to your predecessor who was one of the all time greats. Maybe he can handle it, maybe not.

I do know this though. They have one of the least sophisticated and most demanding fanbases. Their schedule next year is very tough. If he goes 8-4 he'll wish he never left Seattle.

Will West was going on this afternoon about what a great hire this is, but nothing really scares me about this guy. I know he's an offensive guy, but after watching his Washington team get shoved around by Michigan, I'm not that impressed. That fan base will be stupid unrealistic with their expectations. They will still expect to be in the title game every year. The dude has 0 ties to the SEC or the south for that matter. I'm curious to see how well he will recruit down there. A new pecking order is being established in the SEC. There will be a drop off next season and, in Neyland, it feels like a must win for Heupel now.
If there is one thing I know about that guy and his buddy, it’s that they know more about everything than you, me, or anyone else. Just ask them.

Having said that, I think it’s as good of a hire they could have made, but I wouldn’t say I’m scared. He’s not Saban and that’s enough for me, but he and Lanning are 2 I didn’t want there. I was hoping they’d strike out with 4-5 guys and then get stuck with Rees or Locksley

Will Bama allow him to lose 3-4 games in a season or does he have to make the SEC championship game? What happens if he doesn't make it in 3-4 years?

Gee, what would you do if you were this guy? Stay in the now defunct Pac 10 or move to the number one football conference on the planet, the SEC? Hmmmmmmmm

Yahoo Sports says Kalen De Boer
It’s him. He knows football which is a positive. He won this year with another coach’s recruits, A huge negative is he’s never recruited a top 25 class. Time will tell however there’s nothing in his background that is comparable to he who left. I don’t see anybody in the SEC worried about this fellow being hired.

Anyone who doesn’t think DeBoer could be a nightmare for TN at Bammer isn’t paying attention.
We’ve lived the nightmare already. Any hire is a vast improvement for our chances.

Dan Mullen and Scott Frost were supposed to be slam dunks as well, so let’s not accuse anyone of not paying attention when DoBoer hasn’t even coached a game in the SEC yet…

Reactions: tbh and njvols

VN Store

Back