Bama's new coach named - Kalen DeBoer

This has an Urban Meyer hire type feel to it. Bama got a good one I’m afraid and that’s bad for us because yearly they have more talent than us and they just hired a guy that has done more with less talent.

Reactions: snappervol
This is the worst thing that couple happen to Josh Heupel. Debor is the most underrated coach in college football. I wanted Lanning or norvell. This is not what we wanted.

Deboer is a solid hire in my opinion but I can’t imagine having to be the guy to follow Nick Saban… He’s either got a giant pair of brass balls and is a glutton for punishment or he’s completely naive about the 7th circle of hell he is about to walk into.

Agreed. I actually think it might be a little bit of both. He may think he knows what he is getting into, but us lifelong Vols fans know what he is REALLY getting into.

One thing I found interesting about DeBoer is that he brought almost his entire staff from Fresno State along with him. Many of them have worked with him as far back as at Sioux Falls. He apparently is VERY loyal to his staff. That means that he will almost assuredly do that at Alabama too. All of these young kids are about to lose their beloved head coach as well as their position coaches. I am waiting for the transfer portal shoe to drop.

Solid hire. No one is good as Saban and no Alabama fan will be happy Saban is gone. We can always hope Alabama wonders through the wilderness like they did when the Bear retired and passed soon after.

One thing about it, we beat Alabama and the Bear the last time he coached in Neyland. We also beat Saban and Alabama the last he coached in Neyland.

Obviously not going to be Saban, but very good hire on the surface. Never know if it will work, few slam dunks, but as good of a hire as they could make imo

Reactions: CDB and dawgs
whoever the coach is, he's in for a rude awakening. If he doesn't duplicate Saban results immediately, the fanbase will immediately want him fired. They have a generation of fans that have never known the time when UT beat bama 7 years in a row. Watching their coming to grips with the "new Alabama" is going to something special to watch. Buckle up. It's gonna be a hoot.

There are old powerhouse football programs that disappeared as the college football business changed. Army is a prime example. Even fabled programs like Alabama can turn to dinosaurs. Alabama isn't geared for the NIL era. Alabama is a poor state relatively speaking and it's money is split (unequally) between two major programs. The ability to pay for 5 star recruits and stack them on the bench as backups is over unless you have DEEP pockets. Wealthy states like Texas, Florida, California will eventually do well. States like GA, Penn, TN, and OHST that have money and one major team to support will do well. Saban saw the writing on the wall. Between the rise of GA, TX and OK coming to the SEC, the NIL, and the transfer portal, his ability to put the Alabama product on the field that we are accustomed to is over.

Last edited:
Honestly he is probably one of the best out there right now. How that success translate at Bama will remain to be seen. Hopefully it takes him a year or two to adjust.

whoever the coach is, he's in for a rude awakening. If he doesn't duplicate Saban results immediately, the fanbase will immediately want him fired. They have a generation of fans that have never known the time when UT beat bama 10 years in a row. Watching their coming to grips with the "new Alabama" is going to something special to watch. Buckle up. It's gonna be a hoot.

There are old powerhouse football programs that disappeared as the college football business changed. Army is a prime example. Even fabled programs like Alabama can turn to dinosaurs. Alabama isn't geared for the NIL era. Alabama is a poor state relatively speaking and it's money is split (unequally) between two major programs. The ability to pay for 5 star recruits and stack them on the bench as backups is over unless you have DEEP pockets. Wealthy states like Texas, Florida, California will eventually do well. States like GA, Penn, TN, and OHST that have money and one major team to support will do well. Saban saw the writing on the wall. Between the rise of GA, TX and OK coming to the SEC, the NIL, and the transfer portal, his ability to put the Alabama product on the field that we are accustomed to is over.
The playing field will have more Jimmy's and Joe's now. This guy is a good coach. Much like Heupel, DeBoer knows how to put his team in favorable matchups. He will do well at Bama. Just my $0.02

Reactions: J C Higgins
They didn’t hire him to get familiar with the culture. They hired him to win games.
This culture/region thing is a mindset of 20-40 years gone by. Recruiting services, social media, television, geographic migration and NIL have rendered the lack of ties to a region meaningless.

whoever the coach is, he's in for a rude awakening. If he doesn't duplicate Saban results immediately, the fanbase will immediately want him fired. They have a generation of fans that have never known the time when UT beat bama 10 years in a row. Watching their coming to grips with the "new Alabama" is going to something special to watch. Buckle up. It's gonna be a hoot.

We have never in our history beat Alabama 10 straight times

VN Store

Back