Bama's new coach named - Kalen DeBoer

You presented Bama as if they’ve never had screw ups in a coaching search they have. They lucked into Saban. Your point stands. Tennessee has had a void in competent leadership for several decades until White.
Yup. Had Rich Rodriguez not turned the bama job down, they miss the Saban bus and the last 17 years of SEC history are completely different.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
I think it’s as good of a hire they could have made, but I wouldn’t say I’m scared. He’s not Saban and that’s enough for me, but he and Lanning are 2 I didn’t want there. I was hoping they’d strike out with 4-5 guys and then get stuck with Rees or Locksley

Nailed it. Their options were severely limited due to the best guys being in great situations and only really having a couple of solid choices, and they managed to land one of those choices.

If DeBoer doesn't take the job, who are they left looking at? Like you said, it's Rees, Locksley, some other 'hot assistant' or small school coach who would be devoured there, or worst of all .... Dabo, which just might have created a Schiano like deal in Tuscaloosa. Any of them would have certainly meant at least a few years in the wilderness before the 'right guy' came available.

DeBoer might not end up being 'the guy', but he's a winner who has a rep as a "QB whisperer" and has a kid in Milroe who is still a lump of clay to a great extent. Getting him to the next level would go a long way in cementing DeBoer's position there. We shall see.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrangeInKy
"Kalen" is an Irish name meaning "slender."

"deBoer" is a Dutch name meaning, "the farmer."

So Kalen DeBoer is, by name, a skinny farmer.

He's gonna blend right in with all the emaciated meth-smoking redneck clodhoppers in Tuscaloosa.

Go Vols!

Nailed it. Their options were severely limited due to the best guys being in great situations and only really having a couple of solid choices, and they managed to land one of those choices.

If DeBoer doesn't take the job, who are they left looking at? Like you said, it's Rees, Locksley, some other 'hot assistant' or small school coach who would be devoured there, or worst of all .... Dabo, which just might have created a Schiano like deal in Tuscaloosa. Any of them would have certainly meant at least a few years in the wilderness before the 'right guy' came available.

DeBoer might not end up being 'the guy', but he's a winner who has a rep as a "QB whisperer" and has a kid in Milroe who is still a lump of clay to a great extent. Getting him to the next level would go a long way in cementing DeBoer's position there. We shall see.
Yep, fans have to understand that it’s a totally new game as opposed to even 5 years ago. This landscape won’t allow for a dynasty like what we’ve seen in the past, imo. When other teams can come at your best players with money every year, it’s going to level the field. )unless you don’t have money, haha)

Reactions: sami
Exactly. Saban wasn’t a southern guy, Meyer wasn’t a southern guy, Heupel isn’t a southern guy, Stoops isn’t. I think if a guy is a great coach, he will fit anywhere in this era of college football.
Naw, son. Football knowledge and ‘xperience, the ability to recruit and develop players, ingenuity with scheme, all that stuff don’t matter. You gotta getchya coach that knows Southern Fuhball. Gotta have a good ole southern boy! Get ‘eem off’n the dern street if ya have to! Good coaches have to be born from the red clay of GOD’s COUNTRY. That’s what’s most important. It ain’t the x’s and o’s it’s the okra and grits! Dixieland, whew boy!

Reactions: OrangeInKy
Naw, son. Football knowledge and ‘xperience, the ability to recruit and develop players, ingenuity with scheme, all that stuff don’t matter. You gotta getchya coach that knows Southern Fuhball. Gotta have a good ole southern boy! Get ‘eem off’n the dern street if ya have to! Good coaches have to be born from the red clay of GOD’s COUNTRY. That’s what’s most important. It ain’t the x’s and o’s it’s the okra and grits! Dixieland, whew boy!
If his granddaddy didn’t hunt then he’s going to be Ron Zook

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
No one will live up to what Saban did there. This guy has won everywhere he's been, but he hasn't felt heat like he will in toothlessville. Just wait til this guy loses 2 or 3 games in a season.. He'll probably rethink his career move..

Last edited:
Reactions: Remy
You presented Bama as if they’ve never had screw ups in a coaching search they have. They lucked into Saban. Your point stands. Tennessee has had a void in competent leadership for several decades until White.
White may be ok, the rest of the admin still has to prove themselves.

White may be ok, the rest of the admin still has to prove themselves.
Wut?

Between handling Pruitt and the crisis he created, hiring Dan White, and providing steadfast leadership ever since, I think Donde Plowman and Randy Boyd have more than proven themselves effective leaders and administrators for the university.

Not sure who else you mean by "the rest of the admin," but normally it comes down to the President, the Chancellor, and the Athletic Director. If they're all capable, the athletic and academic programs tend to be well-run.

So...did you mean someone other than those three?

I just looked at the Tennessee football record history, and apparently the University of Tennessee archives do not know about that time when UT beat Bama 10 years in a row either.
Thought we beat them 10 years in a row back in the 90's into to early 2000's. Post edited.

That's what drinking does to you kids.......

"Kalen" is an Irish name meaning "slender."

"deBoer" is a Dutch name meaning, "the farmer."

So Kalen DeBoer is, by name, a skinny farmer.

He's gonna blend right in with all the emaciated meth-smoking redneck clodhoppers in Tuscaloosa.

Go Vols!
I was thinking DeBoer was french for placeholder.

I meant Plowman in particular . I may be wrong but Plowman and company were the ones that gave Pruitt and Fulmer way premature extensions and raises during the Covid year when no one was allowed in the stadiums. When Pruitt turned out to be a huge mistake they were starring down the barrell of a huge 12 mil buyout due to the stupid undeserved raise and extension. If they would not have done that the buy out would have been small and manageable. Due to that F up they decided to blow up the program and bring national scrutiny and NCAA penalties all in the name of trying to get out from under their F up. I don't see those moves as "steadfast leadership", its quite the opposite. Name me one other power 5 conference school that has done this to themselves?

No one will live up to what Saban did there. This guy has won everywhere he's been, but he hasn't felt heat like he will in toothlessville. Just wait til this guy losses 2 or 3 games in a season.. He'll probably rethink his career move..
It's a joyless place. Saban rarely looked like he enjoyed it. If he loses two or three games a year, he'll hate it and regret going to the north Korean penal colony of college football

Reactions: Remy and Cartervol
We’ve lived the nightmare already. Any hire is a vast improvement for our chances.

Dan Mullen and Scott Frost were supposed to be slam dunks as well, so let’s not accuse anyone of not paying attention when DoBoer hasn’t even coached a game in the SEC yet…
Mullen and Frost never sniffed the playoffs.
DeBoer took a dead program to the title game in 2 years.

And the PAC12 was no slouch this year. It all scales - he’s gonna have his same system, but this time with better recruits than he’s ever had.

But you’re right, it ain’t Saban - and the odds he duplicates that level of success are pretty low. What really sucks is I like Kalen DeBoer a lot- dude is a winner - and he just went to my mortal enemy.

I meant Plowman in particular . I may be wrong but Plowman and company were the ones that gave Pruitt and Fulmer way premature extensions and raises during the Covid year when no one was allowed in the stadiums. When Pruitt turned out to be a huge mistake they were starring down the barrell of a huge 12 mil buyout due to the stupid undeserved raise and extension. If they would not have done that the buy out would have been small and manageable. Due to that F up they decided to blow up the program and bring national scrutiny and NCAA penalties all in the name of trying to get out from under their F up. I don't see those moves as "steadfast leadership", its quite the opposite. Name me one other power 5 conference school that has done this to themselves?
Meh, she was brand new in 2019. Give her a year to get her feet on the ground. In the first year, most leaders and administrators will tell you, one depends greatly on the advice of key assistants while getting to know the landscape.

In late 2020, about the time she'd been there a year, is when all the crap with Pruitt came out. She navigated those very turbulent waters deftly, I think, and we came out of it in very short order with Dan White and Josh Heupel. No payout to Pruitt. Fulmer respectfully shown to the retirement portal (because that's what you do with a guy who has brought your school a national title, even if he sucked as an AD later).

And since then, the NCAA basically gave us a pass in spite of our committing a number of the most serious tier of violations, we've got all that behind us, and the future is rosy for the university, both academically and athletically.

That's Donde at work. I think she's been doing fine.

Go Vols!

That's not French, brother. oe is not a vowel combination you often see en francais, unless imported from an eastern neighbor (*cough* deutschland). "Oe" is usually an anglicization of ö (o-umlaut) from the germanic languages.
I was thinking DeBoer was German for placeholder.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
That's not French, brother. oe is not a vowel combination you often see en francais, unless imported from an eastern neighbor (*cough* deutschland). "Oe" is usually an anglicization of ö (o-umlaut) from the germanic languages.
Anglicized o-umlaut! I know he's the new coach of a hated rival but is this name calling really necessary?

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Don't dirty up OUR football forum with Bama crap. Let's get this moved to the NCAA Mods..... Quick, Fast and in a Hurry.

Meh, she was brand new in 2019. Give her a year to get her feet on the ground. In the first year, most leaders and administrators will tell you, one depends greatly on the advice of key assistants while getting to know the landscape.

In late 2020, about the time she'd been there a year, is when all the crap with Pruitt came out. She navigated those very turbulent waters deftly, I think, and we came out of it in very short order with Dan White and Josh Heupel. No payout to Pruitt. Fulmer respectfully shown to the retirement portal (because that's what you do with a guy who has brought your school a national title, even if he sucked as an AD later).

And since then, the NCAA basically gave us a pass in spite of our committing a number of the most serious tier of violations, we've got all that behind us, and the future is rosy for the university, both academically and athletically.

That's Donde at work. I think she's been doing fine.

Go Vols!
I'm not here to argue with you or anyone on a forum. I hope with Randy Boyd and White on board things may get better. With CKJH future not looking good we may see another search soon. Again current leadership has a record of bad decision making. My point is in life or in sports when you see successful organizations and people you pay attention and learn from them, Georgia obviously has and we need to as well. Maybe Boyd and White can. Hopefully Plowman's poor decisions are behind her. To answer my own question, no other school has ever done what UT did to itself to escape a large buyout, not even Auburn or Texas A&M went to that extreme. We didn't get a pass from the NCAA, we lost what 20 or 25 scholarships?

I'm not here to argue with you or anyone on a forum. I hope with Randy Boyd and White on board things may get better. With CKJH future not looking good we may see another search soon. Again current leadership has a record of bad decision making. My point is in life or in sports when you see successful organizations and people you pay attention and learn from them, Georgia obviously has and we need to as well. Maybe Boyd and White can. Hopefully Plowman's poor decisions are behind her. To answer my own question, no other school has ever done what UT did to itself to escape a large buyout, not even Auburn or Texas A&M went to that extreme. We didn't get a pass from the NCAA, we lost what 20 or 25 scholarships?
Hopefully we're not arguing, friend. Just discussing Tennessee football.

Though I do think you're way off base about how Josh Heupel's doing. I think his future looks very bright. And I think Donde has done a fine job, and continues to.

VN Store

Back