Bama's new coach named - Kalen DeBoer

I suggested Pruitt to some of their fans based on the fact he had prior SEC head coaching experience. None of them liked that suggestion.
I still think they missed the BIG opportunity with the UT hat-trick of former UT HC's w/ Bama experience. Butch HC, Dools OC, Pruit DC. IF you thought they hate us for Fulmer, that would have stuck for eternity.

Reactions: tbh and ibvolman
Again? 😂 Our fans have the attention span of a cat. Bama struck out on Rich Rod or they never land Saban. How do you think that would’ve turned out for them? They had several years of cluster before they landed Saban. Auburn stomped them five years in a roll, I think Tennessee had several wins over them in a roll as well.
The point isn't Alabama 20+ years ago, its understanding what it takes to win and not settling for less and not being played by agents. Control the process and acomplish your goal. As much as I dislike the Bamers and their fans, you can learn a lot from successful people and successful programs. UT has had over 20 years of the same missteps and the same failures repeated over and over.

Reactions: Frozevol
Weren’t posters saying basically the same thing aout Heupel when we hired him. A new coach is always a gamble. Some are high risk and some are smaller risk, but still risky.

I do feel kind of bad for Washington. They now have 3 QBs that have entered the portal and are left with one on the roster. A 2023 recruit and I don’t think he saw any action this past year. I guess that means they will fit in nicely with the Big 10 or whatever they are called.

We’ve lived the nightmare already. Any hire is a vast improvement for our chances.

Dan Mullen and Scott Frost were supposed to be slam dunks as well, so let’s not accuse anyone of not paying attention when DoBoer hasn’t even coached a game in the SEC yet…
Agree. This could be a great hire, or not. But, one thing for sure, is that he's not Saban, and that's good for UT.

I suspect this guy will do well...I wouldn't think the recruiting thing is worrying them...Bama will get the talent. The thing I think sometimes gets missed, which I hope is the case here, is that Penix was with him the years he was having success. It's kinda like the Miz DC. He's getting alot of kudos and rightly so, but he also had 8 seniors starting and 13 seniors on his two deep D roster, along with a ball control offense w/ all SEC RB...will be interesting for them next year, just as it will be interesting to watch Bama with the new, more competitive SEC slate, where it's going to be near impossible to run the slate undefeated along with the Saban expectations of excellence.

Worst possible outcome for us. He was the best guy available by far.
While I agree w/ the opinion that this is a good hire, and Bama executed this with speed and precision w/ no drama, sometimes the obvious answer isn't the answer. Ray Perkins, back in the day was a supposed grand slam hire from NFL, and wasn't horrible, but didn't last after the Bear expectations laid. No one knows, but they made a good solid no-drama hire that gives them a good opportunity for continued success. Legends just so hard to follow though. Look at Villanova w/ Jay Wright, who was also a semi cult of personality legend for them...the replacement seemed to knock it out of the park, and while the jury is still out, they've clearly regressed. I think same will happen for Bama.

I think the initial big difference in having a HC that most of the Officials don't know personally. If you are like me and know some Refs/Officials the one common denominator is they are all Sports junkies and love the sport, ergo they continue with their side hustle. I know I would be more wowed by officiating with a legend on the sidelines. You have to be lying if you say it would be no difference than any other game, especially for chronic followers of the Sport. One year Bama got no holding calls all year, that almost seems impossible but there has to be some casual in the back of mind intimidation. I'm sure DeBore is a very good coach but so was Harsin when he went to Auburn, there will be a lot of subtle differences but Bama does have top notch talent. I do think this is the lowest talent wise Bama has been in at least 5 years but it is still #2 in SEC barely ahead of Texas then Ole Miss. We will see if DeBore is quick to adjust or things go awry. Hard for an outsider to follow a legend, that's why a lot have tried associate HC etc. but there's no real script.

That's not exactly my memory of this place when Urban came to the SEC. Urban was bringing in a high tempo offensive system that hadn't been tested in a major conference. While some believed it was destined to fail against SEC defenses, most knew it could be a major problem. I remember sitting in my dorm room at Gibbs Hall trying to figure out whether Meyer would succeed, and coming across his Utah playbooks for sale on eBay. I talked to a few defensive players I was friends with at the time and they believed the Meyer Spread was going to take a few years for SEC teams to solve.
Yes, usually coaches who are legendary or at least upper tier over the long haul have known superior prowess they hang their hats on. Saban and Kirby top tier defense guys. Spurrier and Urban offense guys. Think JH has a chance here and probably put Kiffin in that mix for different/efficient offense schemes. Bama made a good hire but I guess time will tell if his offense scheme is elite. Penix certainly helped his trajectory and Bama does have a good qb room.

R.I.P. tide! Michigan beat him like a drum.🤣🤣🤣 Meh hire...
He also beat Oregon twice. I wouldn’t laugh it off, but that’s just me. Good news is he isn’t Saban. It’s rare that you know a team won’t upgrade with a hire. It’s comforting. I think he’s a really good hire, and wouldn’t make much of Michigan beating them with superior team, That was tear 2 for him at Washington. He may flame out, but I think it’s a good hire . I’m not sure why so many are laughing it off.

Reactions: rgvol
Guess he wanted the SEC over playing in the Big 10...12...16 or whatever the hell it is now.

You come to Bama and you are pretty much assured you will be in the playoffs...Washington in the Big 10 not so much.
That was\then.. I remember when Bama lost bear; took awhile for them to recover. Then (and still) there was PAT. There is a history of many programs having a tough time recovering from the loss of a legend. Or How bout UCLA, they have never recovered from the wizard of Westwood,

Reactions: KTrain
Washington played 8 one score games this year. Those dont all go your way in the SEC like they do against Utah, OSU, Wash state, Oregon (twice), Arizona, Arizona State, Texas. He could have just as easily lost three or 4 of those. It will be interesting to see if easier competition and Penix made him or if he made Penix.

WTH kinda names is Kaylan? Do they call him "Kay" for short? I had an Aunt Kay and she was a tough old bird - never married - but she hated sports. Come to think of it she didn't care much for me either.

Imo the guy needs a nickname quick...Boomer, Bear, Shug...something along those lines. Or else he'd better go 15-0 in year.one. He just doesn't seem to be a fit. Okay? 'Kay?
</blue font>

The point isn't Alabama 20+ years ago, it’s understanding what it takes to win and not settling for less and not being played by agents. Control the process and acomplish your goal. As much as I dislike the Bamers and their fans, you can learn a lot from successful people and successful programs. UT has had over 20 years of the same missteps and the same failures repeated over and over.
You presented Bama as if they’ve never had screw ups in a coaching search they have. They lucked into Saban. Your point stands. Tennessee has had a void in competent leadership for several decades until White.

Seems like a gamble of a hire to me. DeBoer has 4 years coaching experience at the FBS level. Two with Fresno State and two with Washington. I also think with Saban now gone, NIL, and the transfer portal, the SEC recruiting field will even out somewhat. My only hope is all the 5*+ recruits Bama was getting don't just start committing to Georgia.

Agreed. He'll need to get some recruiters, need to get a good DC. However, he's been a coach 9 years and lost 12 games. He'll get a small chance in the next month to sell his team and keep them from the portal. Hope he fails and we get a couple of stars from this.
He better bring his OC from Washington. The guy has been with him at all his stops and the players say he's the brains behind the offense. Keep an eye on this one.

Will West was going on this afternoon about what a great hire this is, but nothing really scares me about this guy. I know he's an offensive guy, but after watching his Washington team get shoved around by Michigan, I'm not that impressed. That fan base will be stupid unrealistic with their expectations. They will still expect to be in the title game every year. The dude has 0 ties to the SEC or the south for that matter. I'm curious to see how well he will recruit down there. A new pecking order is being established in the SEC. There will be a drop off next season and, in Neyland, it feels like a must win for Heupel now.
Our fans think Tennessee recruits itself. What about Bama

VN Store

Back