2024 Transfer Portal Thread

We are going to need some luck folks. Igor had a great visit, is an incredible fit, loved everything we said about culture/team/plan for him. Now he’s visiting Baylor, and they have resources this year. Tyson had a great visit, believed UNC didn’t have space, was on the edge of committing and Davis flew in to stop it. I assume he told him there is space and a bag. We should all hope for Ingram and Davis returning and UNC having a tough time explaining fit in that puzzle. We need to hope that Igor can weather a pitch from another great recruiter with the most resources he’s ever had. Awaka is distant and not deciding until he sees more of our roster take shape. That door could be closed by either party. Feels like time will kill it if it doesn’t correct soon. We have a couple of new visits being scheduled for next week, and supposedly Lanier will decide before 4/30. There are also other portal entries coming from the schools that have NIL deals that pay on fiscal quarters. It sounds like we are going to make some targeted larger offers, but that requires rethinking everyone’s deal. It doesn’t happen overnight. We need a few things to go our way.
So does anyone know what our budget is for NIL $? It’s frustrating to see UNC, Baylor, Kansas and others back up the Brinks truck, though we did for Nico. I love basketball so NIL shouldn’t be an issue with a program like ours. Maybe I’m wrong since idk the dollar amount allocated for each sport, portal, etc.

Smh… who’s left on the board that we can even get to visit in the next couple weeks? We’ve just heard these names. Not really many other names. Hope we can get Igor.

Reactions: RyanWalkerPGH
So does anyone know what our budget is for NIL $? It’s frustrating to see UNC, Baylor, Kansas and others back up the Brinks truck, though we did for Nico. I love basketball so NIL shouldn’t be an issue with a program like ours. Maybe I’m wrong since idk the dollar amount allocated for each sport, portal, etc.
Our NIL isn’t lacking. I also think we’ll adjust to new realities.

Doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence. Fingers crossed
Yep. I’m over it, though. I thought this team was final four bound so the loss vs Purdue stung.

Now I am begging to sour though we are early in the off-season.

My wife and I will be California bound in 11 hrs, so I may check out until we fly back home to Nashville on Thursday.

Maybe we are being selective but it seems we are striking out.

Fumbles said we’re trying to set up visits for next week or something
As BTO said, there’s a whole tier of players we haven’t brought in, and won’t til we know where we stand with openings after this weekend. We’re fairly thoughtful about not bringing someone in unless they’re vetted and wanted.

I think we are prepared to counter Baylor on Igor. I don’t think we can affect Tyson with just NIL. UNC is pitching a “historic team” story, and that probably resonates with a kid from NC. Can’t do anything about Lanier right now, but I hope that doesn’t turn into a free for all.
Makes sense for Tyson. And UNC is a blueblood with an incredible culture and tradition.

As BTO said, there’s a whole tier of players we haven’t brought in, and won’t til we know where we stand with openings after this weekend. We’re fairly thoughtful about not bringing someone in unless they’re vetted and wanted.
Sounds like we have our ducks in a row. Hope to hear some new names in the next few days. Especially if Igor commits to Baylor.

I remember last year it felt like we were getting left behind in the portal but we ended up ok. Feels like we're lagging again but trying to stay hopeful. Not easy though.
I think the first part of your statement is the right track. Staff is pretty relentless in trying to put together a great team. We were just dealt some bad cards to start.

I’m guessing the portal and the Vols roster next season. If anyone is concerned, go watch the Barnes press video from yesterday. This is a man in full control of his program that is ready to adapt no matter what is thrown at him. He sounded like a guy with zero interest in leaving the game. In fact, he seems to enjoy building a new team each season. Barnes is the gift that keeps on giving. I believe he is now the longest tenured SEC coach at their current program (maybe it’s Bruce though).
I truly think his faith keeps him balanced and he doesn’t worry, which is part of scripture.

Barnes is human but has a peace within him that many other coaches don’t possess. But his fire for the game appears to remain alive.

Last edited:
Could a starting 5 of Zeigler-Gainey-Mashack-Dubar-Estrella get us to17-18 wins? Probably. Would prefer to get a guy to start over Gainey and have Gainey be a 6th man, and definitely need more depth. Get Igor and he can switch in and out at the 4. I really would like to see is bring in the MTSU post for a visit. He’s 6’10” and very versatile as well, so I don’t know how would be at the 5. He may just be a stretch four too. Curious to see what our next steps will be.

Reactions: onfocusgovols
I think the first part of your statement is the right track. Staff is pretty relentless in trying to put together a great team. We were just dealt some bad cards to start.
I have faith that the staff will get some quality guys. May not land the big fish but Barnes and Co will coach up whoever we end up with.

As many have mentioned, the best players who will portal this year are not necessarily currently in the portal (like, those guys who are waiting on their last NIL payments from their current school)

Hope for, yes. Expecting a FF might be a reach, but I’m all for it.
We were close this season and it appears the window has closed. I knew Knecht would be difficult to replace but thought we would be find a few in the portal due to our success.

But we are six months away from the season so who knows. It’s easy to get riled up as the portal and NIL are crazy.

Last edited:
Well that’s a bit sad, though probably true. We were close this season and it appears the window has closed. I knew Knecht would be difficult to replace but thought we would be find a few in the portal due to our success.

You’re giving CAVPUT a run for “sky is falling” poster of the year.

Just because you used to be good doesn’t mean you get that plaque forever. What is the great culture you speak of, fake classes.
UNC is known for its deep history, tradition, and culture. To hell with the fake classes. Most of the recruits don’t care as it didn’t involve them. It bothers the fans more than the players and recruits. It’s ridiculous they weren’t penalized, but the avg student athlete, or student for that matter, couldn’t care less.

Last edited:
If I had to pick I would take Igor over Tyson, and in my mind they would play the same position. In my opinion the only thing Tyson has over Igor is shooting efficiency. Igor has a more well rounded game and I think it translates better, especially against elite competition.

I don’t see Tyson playing much 3 due to his inability to guard SEC wings, and I don’t see Igor playing much 5 due to his inability to guard most big men in the paint.

We only need one imo because Dubar can also play the 4. Give me Igor and I’m good!

VN Store

Back