2024 Transfer Portal Thread

If Gainey starts, it means we had a bad portal haul this year....or something terrible happened to ZZ. Gainey is an emergency option at PG or a #2 in my mind. Really hope we can do better. He's okay as a reserve off the bench for the occasional spark, but a starter? Nah. Gotta have better.
We have plenty of talent in the back court. What we need is talent at the 4 and 5 positions, more at the 5. I don't understand why some posters automatically doubt the talent of a coach's son.

Reactions: LaagerVol
We have plenty of talent in the back court. What we need is talent at the 4 and 5 positions, more at the 5. I don't understand why some posters automatically doubt the talent of a coach's son.
Gainey was playing well at the end of the season both offensively and defensively. If he works hard and continues to improve then why is it bad if he wins the starting position over Carr and the yet to be named portal guys we will bring in?

Not sure about the "plenty of talent in the back court" assertion. No backup for ZZ. I've said my peace about Gainey. Mashack is a stud defender but offensively? Not so sure. I kind of see Carr as a 3 spot guy and while he's got potential, I'm not sure what we can expect from him over a season. Outside of those guys, I'm not sure what we have in the back court. Can't hang your hat on the incoming freshman. By most accounts, he's a year or maybe 2 from being a serious contributor. We need help everywhere.

Gainey is like our present version of Mcbee.

I’m sure I’ll get the “terrible comparison” but that’s who he reminds me of. Comes in, knocks down a 3 helps get some energy back.

I don’t get the hate.
Terrible comparison - Mcbee didn’t make athletic steals and drive the lane for dunks.

I like Gainey, he made some huge plays on both ends for us in the tournament. But for a supposed shooter/floor spacer shooting sub 30% from 3 just isn’t good. Gotta give it to him he’ll keep letting them fly though

Terrible comparison - Mcbee didn’t make athletic steals and drive the lane for dunks.
Roughly same 3pt%, FT%, and average points. Same build.

Pretty much have the same role.

Edit. 3PT attempts are roughly the same as well. Roughly the same minutes

Gainey is like our present version of Mcbee.

I’m sure I’ll get the “terrible comparison” but that’s who he reminds me of. Comes in, knocks down a 3 helps get some energy back.

I don’t get the hate.
I don't hate the kid, but I don't have faith in him either. He's a shooter without conscience and while that's a good thing when he's hot, it kills you when he's not. His defense is a work in progress. He doesn't really have the complete package and he's inconsistent. Yeah, kids can improve. Really HOPE he does, but just like Awaka, I don't think it's wise to go into next year counting on either of those two guys. Wishful thinking in this league will get you fired....well...not Barnes, but my point is that you can't expect that kind of transformation and hang the prospects for next season on them. If I'm gonna roll the dice, it's with Lanier and Tyson being themselves rather than Gainey and Awaka morphing into answers.

Guys we have like 5-6 scholarships to give to get a full roster if you think the roster is set in April I have some land to sell you in Kansas, relax take a chill pill it’s gonna be a month or two before we have the full picture

Reactions: 1988Vol
Gainey was playing well at the end of the season both offensively and defensively. If he works hard and continues to improve then why is it bad if he wins the starting position over Carr and the yet to be named portal guys we will bring in?
DK & Gainey were the only ones IMO that played their game vs Purdue and maybe Mashack. If we had got a normal game from ZZ especially, we win. Not to mention JJJ & SV we were expecting them to continue their sporadic play and play of Aidoo was sub-par & Awaka got his normal fouls which basically makes him a afterthought option in the middle of the game. So as you say Gainey had upped his game of late.

Reactions: lastlap
Also I am really curious to see who the big time players that are supposedly going to enter the portal soon are. I have seen several people reference it on socials.

Reactions: berryvol
All things being equal, we have lots more going for us than nebraska. But nebraska (or anybody) else could offer significantly
more money than we do or are willing to bid.
Brice and Igor were teammates, but not the closest of buddies. However, Nebraska coach Fred Hoiberg is extremely well respected, having played and coached in the NBA. Don’t underestimate Nebraska in the battle for Igor.

Not sure about the "plenty of talent in the back court" assertion. No backup for ZZ. I've said my peace about Gainey. Mashack is a stud defender but offensively? Not so sure. I kind of see Carr as a 3 spot guy and while he's got potential, I'm not sure what we can expect from him over a season. Outside of those guys, I'm not sure what we have in the back court. Can't hang your hat on the incoming freshman. By most accounts, he's a year or maybe 2 from being a serious contributor. We need help everywhere.
100%

Brice and Igor were teammates, but not the closest of buddies. However, Nebraska coach Fred Hoiberg is extremely well respected, having played and coached in the NBA. Don’t underestimate Nebraska in the battle for Igor.
"Don't underestimate Nebraska in the battle for Igor" sounds like a quote from the 1800s lol

Hoiberg done a great job at his Alma Mater Iowa State. Imo made a huge mistake taking the Bulls job never did accomplish much there.

How are we feeling about Dewayne Brown commiting to us tonight? I know this isn't transfer portal related, but it seems like the people with knowledge are only active in this thread.

VN Store

Back