2024 Transfer Portal Thread

How are we feeling about Dewayne Brown commiting to us tonight? I know this isn't transfer portal related, but it seems like the people with knowledge are only active in this thread.
I think we get him, but he’s also done a good job keeping quiet and hasn’t told either staff to my knowledge.

Not sure about the "plenty of talent in the back court" assertion. No backup for ZZ. I've said my peace about Gainey. Mashack is a stud defender but offensively? Not so sure. I kind of see Carr as a 3 spot guy and while he's got potential, I'm not sure what we can expect from him over a season. Outside of those guys, I'm not sure what we have in the back court. Can't hang your hat on the incoming freshman. By most accounts, he's a year or maybe 2 from being a serious contributor. We need help everywhere.
We have as much talent at the point as we had last year and ZZ was not at full speed until at least January. Carr can play either the 2 or 3 and will be a really good player. His spot appearances improved as the season played out. It appears that Barnes now has confidence in his play and that is good enough for me. Let’s concentrate on getting the 4 and 5 position competitive and win the SEC again this coming year.

Saint Thomas still coming too?
Haha well I'm more confident about Chaz Lanier bc he would fill a gap we desperately need. Saint Thomas if we don't get Tobe Awaka back by Monday would be a great small ball four and give us another versatile guy like Dubar... Thomas can rebound + defend well - so even if we get Igor Milicic Jr, Saint Thomas could fit in well imo.. and before you say it yes I know he's visiting other schools.. When I posted mid march on them two guys I was told following that post that Saint & Lanier were both ours to lose. Obviously thatwas before the unexpected Aidoo & indecisive Awaka mess started... So again as I've stated plenty of times I'm obviously no insider and never claimed to be, but I still believe Lanier is ours to lose... On my Instagram page he pretty much follows everything and he pays attention to the stories and I'm a random small Vol page.... Him and his family has a great connection with Tennessee, and he's buddies with another guy Tennessee has reached out to JCJ from MTSU... I wouldn't mind getting both of them two right there... Again I appreciate what you guys do and the forum 👍🏼

Last edited:

Well, that perhaps helps UNC cause with Tyson who would be my # 1 target. But he still needs to consider which PG he would want to play with and which team would allow him to be more of a primary offensive focus. If RJ Davis comes back which is likely he is going to take alot of the FG attempts. Given the make-up of current roster and who we lost in DK, Tyson would be ideal fit for UT and more of a primary option for us, who we would allow more latitude to create. He will be a role player for UNC in my opinion for 2 years. Barnes turned DK from an unknown college player to a unanimous 1st team All American and potential lottery pick. I think he has a higher development ceiling at UT vs UNC. Understandable he has a draw to UNC given where he was raised, but if he makes it a business decision based on his future goals, I still think UT is better choice.

Gainey is like our present version of Mcbee.

I’m sure I’ll get the “terrible comparison” but that’s who he reminds me of. Comes in, knocks down a 3 helps get some energy back.

I don’t get the hate.
Gainey isn't bad, just needs to be more consistent. If he starts that means we most likely had a subpar portal, but he's shown he can play. And he'd be replacing vesco, who gave us basically no offense last year.

Well, that perhaps helps UNC cause with Tyson who would be my # 1 target. But he still needs to consider which PG he would want to play with and which team would allow him to be more of a primary offensive focus. If RJ Davis comes back which is likely he is going to take alot of the FG attempts. Given the make-up of current roster and who we lost in DK, Tyson would be ideal fit for UT and more of a primary option for us, who we would allow more latitude to create. He will be a role player for UNC in my opinion for 2 years. Barnes turned DK from an unknown college player to a unanimous 1st team All American and potential lottery pick. I think he has a higher development ceiling at UT vs UNC. Understandable he has a draw to UNC given where he was raised, but if he makes it a business decision based on his future goals, I still think UT is better choice.
This is all true but the guy is from North Carolina originally. There is hope sure but at this point I would move on to Igor

This is all true but the guy is from North Carolina originally. There is hope sure but at this point I would move on to Igor
Didn't think Tyson and Igor was an either/or situation? Having said that, if we could pull Igor and Lanier, I'd feel much, much better about the roster next year. Still think we'd need another shooter. Seems like no matter how many we have, we can never avoid those days where they all go ice cold in the same game.

Didn't think Tyson and Igor was an either/or situation? Having said that, if we could pull Igor and Lanier, I'd feel much, much better about the roster next year. Still think we'd need another shooter. Seems like no matter how many we have, we can never avoid those days where they all go ice cold in the same game.
Igor can play the 4 or a 5 in small ball tyson was more of a 3. We have Dubar as well. Both would be nice for sure

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back