2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Wouldn’t shock me, if he has representation.

Don’t really see the point in entering the portal with an NCT if you plan for your agent to reach out to 20+ schools. Might as well just not have an NCT and let your agent field as many offers as possible if that’s what you are interested in.

Reactions: LoudOrange
The fact that Maryland is on that list scares me. I believe one of his agents or daily point person has a strong connection w/ Maryland

Not sure but I think Tyson could be given an exception if he hasn’t practiced at UNC, but may be limited and only could go back to Belmont. I don’t think he can transfer anywhere else.
Has he transferred, or has he made a verbal commitment? I was guessing he might still be actually still enrolled at Belmont. Anyone with actual written clarification of key points in process for normal and grad folks if different. Logic is not a good tool in dealing with eligibility rules. Words and loopholes out there I bet.

School initiated Contact and tampering might be in play. Love some documented proof.

Saw this on a soccer board on the portal:

Interesting quote about the transfer portal that could be any D1 BB coach right now. Some in football and other sports might agree as well. Recall the courts have prevented the enforcement of the more restrictive 2nd-transfer rules the NCAA adopted since covid.
This was actually a D2 men's coach:

“It's the equivalent of the NBA signing everybody to one-year contracts. It would be absolute chaos, which is what we have in the college game right now. Is it healthy for the sport? Absolutely not. Is it going to change in any meaningful way? Absolutely not. College coaches were once long-term investors. Now we're day-traders.”

What's really happening is that the new and distasteful portal/NIL/buying players culture has immersed everybody in the "one-and-done" ethos that previously only affected a few major programs--notably Kentucky---that regularly recruited 5 stars. Now, any player shows out for a season is going to be one and done. Eighty percent will enter the portal looking for more money unless their current school dramatically increases their bribe/pay. It's a seedy business nowadays.

Reactions: walkenvol
Saw this on a soccer board on the portal:

Interesting quote about the transfer portal that could be any D1 BB coach right now. Some in football and other sports might agree as well. Recall the courts have prevented the enforcement of the more restrictive 2nd-transfer rules the NCAA adopted since covid.
This was actually a D2 men's coach:

“It's the equivalent of the NBA signing everybody to one-year contracts. It would be absolute chaos, which is what we have in the college game right now. Is it healthy for the sport? Absolutely not. Is it going to change in any meaningful way? Absolutely not. College coaches were once long-term investors. Now we're day-traders.”

What's really happening is that the new and distasteful portal/NIL/buying players culture has immersed everybody in the "one-and-done" ethos that previously only affected a few major programs--notably Kentucky---that regularly recruited 5 stars. Now, any player shows out for a season is going to be one and done. Eighty percent will enter the portal looking for more money unless their current school dramatically increases their bribe/pay. It's a seedy business nowadays.
Please explain how it is seedier now as compared to the past.

Not sure but I think Tyson could be given an exception if he hasn’t practiced at UNC, but may be limited and only could go back to Belmont. I don’t think he can transfer anywhere else.
Not sure why he'd transfer back to Belmont. Won't sniff the kind of money that UNC is offering. Doubt the kid is an NBA prospect so take the money and give it your best shot at UNC. He knew the risks but still chose UNC over UT. Now he's pretty much stuck....if you consider getting paid handsomely to play for your home state school being stuck. Think I read somewhere that Igor was always our preference between the two. I kinda think that's true. Igor won't take minutes from Carr which I would see Tyson doing if he'd have chosen UT.

Not sure why he'd transfer back to Belmont. Won't sniff the kind of money that UNC is offering. Doubt the kid is an NBA prospect so take the money and give it your best shot at UNC. He knew the risks but still chose UNC over UT. Now he's pretty much stuck....if you consider getting paid handsomely to play for your home state school being stuck. Think I read somewhere that Igor was always our preference between the two. I kinda think that's true. Igor won't take minutes from Carr which I would see Tyson doing if he'd have chosen UT.
We’ll get Tyson next year after UNC has developed him and he’s not a threat to Carr’s PT because there are more minutes to go around.. Barnes is playing 5D chess.

Reactions: Jrobin
We were also told Yuri Collins was a sure thing, and that didn’t unfold as planned. Nothing is ever a guarantee in the portal era until it actually happens, IMO.
Nothing is ever truly done until someone is signed and even then guys go back into the portal (see Tyler Baron) but almost every site is essentially reporting same thing that Lanier to vols is pretty close to lock. Vols aren't even entertaining bringing in 1-2 more shooting guards to visit in case he goes elsewhere.

Obvious caveat being could Arkansas, Kentucky, Maryland etc throw a crazy high offer? Sure but thats what it would take to change things.

Nothing is ever truly done until someone is signed and even then guys go back into the portal (see Tyler Baron) but almost every site is essentially reporting same thing that Lanier to vols is pretty close to lock. Vols aren't even entertaining bringing in 1-2 more shooting guards to visit in case he goes elsewhere.

Obvious caveat being could Arkansas, Kentucky, Maryland etc throw a crazy high offer? Sure but thats what it would take to change things.
I don’t recall Colins being as sure a thing as Lanier at any point.

VN Store

Back