2024 Transfer Portal Thread

We are going to need some luck folks. Igor had a great visit, is an incredible fit, loved everything we said about culture/team/plan for him. Now he’s visiting Baylor, and they have resources this year. Tyson had a great visit, believed UNC didn’t have space, was on the edge of committing and Davis flew in to stop it. I assume he told him there is space and a bag. We should all hope for Ingram and Davis returning and UNC having a tough time explaining fit in that puzzle. We need to hope that Igor can weather a pitch from another great recruiter with the most resources he’s ever had. Awaka is distant and not deciding until he sees more of our roster take shape. That door could be closed by either party. Feels like time will kill it if it doesn’t correct soon. We have a couple of new visits being scheduled for next week, and supposedly Lanier will decide before 4/30. There are also other portal entries coming from the schools that have NIL deals that pay on fiscal quarters. It sounds like we are going to make some targeted larger offers, but that requires rethinking everyone’s deal. It doesn’t happen overnight. We need a few things to go our way.
Doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence. Fingers crossed

That poster mentioned transfer big but not in the portal

So unless I’m reading it wrong now, it may have been someone that’s already transferred before.

Ware fits that description, another that fit that description would be Rienk Mast. But then BTO said potential, so has me thinking it’s a younger guy

Ware is just 19 and has 2 years left, would meet the "potential" pretty well.

We are going to need some luck folks. Igor had a great visit, is an incredible fit, loved everything we said about culture/team/plan for him. Now he’s visiting Baylor, and they have resources this year. Tyson had a great visit, believed UNC didn’t have space, was on the edge of committing and Davis flew in to stop it. I assume he told him there is space and a bag. We should all hope for Ingram and Davis returning and UNC having a tough time explaining fit in that puzzle. We need to hope that Igor can weather a pitch from another great recruiter with the most resources he’s ever had. Awaka is distant and not deciding until he sees more of our roster take shape. That door could be closed by either party. Feels like time will kill it if it doesn’t correct soon. We have a couple of new visits being scheduled for next week, and supposedly Lanier will decide before 4/30. There are also other portal entries coming from the schools that have NIL deals that pay on fiscal quarters. It sounds like we are going to make some targeted larger offers, but that requires rethinking everyone’s deal. It doesn’t happen overnight. We need a few things to go our way.
I understand there are a lot of different variables at play. But at some point, you need to create your own luck. Can't just always be this "Well things didn't fall our way because X & Y."

Sounds like we'll need a Stoerner fumble level of luck

I thought he is expected to be a first round draft pick in the first 20-25 picks. So if one of the top 20-25 draft eligible players in the entire world is someone that we need to "soften" our expectations over, then consider me someone that has extremely low expectations because I would see this as a grand slam transfer. On the other hand, I would seriously question the kids' IQ.

As has been stated multiple times in this thread, the NBA draft combine and deadline to withdraw isn't even until next month. Mock drafts aren't NBA scout evaluations, so things could change after he visits teams during the combine. So unless he's got some firm guarantee that he'll be a first rounder could return to college and Indiana has already filled his starting role with Ballo.

I understand there are a lot of different variables at play. But at some point, you need to create your own luck. Can't just always be this "Well things didn't fall our way because X & Y."
I think we are prepared to counter Baylor on Igor. I don’t think we can affect Tyson with just NIL. UNC is pitching a “historic team” story, and that probably resonates with a kid from NC. Can’t do anything about Lanier right now, but I hope that doesn’t turn into a free for all.

Not terribly encouraging that we need something to break our way in nearly every recruitment we are involved in. 😕

We are going to need some luck folks. Igor had a great visit, is an incredible fit, loved everything we said about culture/team/plan for him. Now he’s visiting Baylor, and they have resources this year.
16abf79d-be77-47ed-ad53-33077cdd53b1_text.gif

Not terribly encouraging that we need something to break our way in nearly every recruitment we are involved in. 😕
Not directing this at you specifically, but I feel like this is the reality when you want the best players in the portal rather than the Anosikes and Keys of the world. There are no free runs.

wonder who the visits are

Hope Power or Boogie

I think we are prepared to counter Baylor on Igor. I don’t think we can affect Tyson with just NIL. UNC is pitching a “historic team” story, and that probably resonates with a kid from NC. Can’t do anything about Lanier right now, but I hope that doesn’t turn into a free for all.
I was under the impression that foreign players were ineligible for NIL.

Not directing this at you specifically, but I feel like this is the reality when you want the best players in the portal rather than the Anosikes and Keys of the world. There are no free runs.
True. Also do not forget that some of the information being shared as "fact" on here is not true. For example, there was information being shared by someone here last year that presented themselves as in the know that Silas Demary was demanding NIL money to come here, and which UT was not willing to pay. I forget who it was, and it does not matter at this point, but when I corrected them, they doubled-down even though I was working directly with the family. My point being there is a lot of made up information out there.

As has been stated multiple times in this thread, the NBA draft combine and deadline to withdraw isn't even until next month. Mock drafts aren't NBA scout evaluations, so things could change after he visits teams during the combine. So unless he's got some firm guarantee that he'll be a first rounder could return to college and Indiana has already filled his starting role with Ballo.
True. My real point was that I would see Ware as a big time pickup, and not someone to "soften" our expectations over.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
This is true, and I'm not intending to come off as Negative Nancy. I realize we won't land everyone we want, and perhaps the somber tone originates in the idea that we felt really good about some of these guys early on, thinking we could shut the door on them early. That has trended to more of a 50-50 proposition, and now a "we need some things to break our way" sort of vibe. Just a tough pill to swallow when we've lost so much and have a great deal to offer in our own right.

Yeah, I feel like we're not going to be outbid on Igor...just depends really on does he want to play for Barnes and be in Knoxville. Those 2 things we can't change, so if he doesn't we're out of luck. But I'd assume him visiting and it going well tells you those 2 things aren't a worry.

you're right. my friend said we wouldn't give up igor without a fight. read that as NIL, but forgot he's not eligible.
Really, with Igor, I think it’ll be more about fit than anything else. I think he feels like he would fit in at Tennessee really well after reading how his visit went. Drew is a great coach and recruiter, but I trust Barnes to get that one done. Especially since it’s not NIL related.

Not too concerned about what, specifically?
I’m guessing the portal and the Vols roster next season. If anyone is concerned, go watch the Barnes press video from yesterday. This is a man in full control of his program that is ready to adapt no matter what is thrown at him. He sounded like a guy with zero interest in leaving the game. In fact, he seems to enjoy building a new team each season. Barnes is the gift that keeps on giving. I believe he is now the longest tenured SEC coach at their current program (maybe it’s Bruce though).

VN Store

Back