Would you want Bruce Pearl back? [Pearl discussion — merged]

Pearl owns Barnes in the postseason as well. Remember the 2019 SECT Finals? Best team Barnes had got taken to the woodshed by an underdog Pearl coached team
So a single meeting between two teams equals “owning him”?

And I’m not even making an argument for Barnes>Pearl, but you just seem to take small and/or specific data points to make your conclusion seem impenetrable.

Pearl is a great coach. No one is arguing otherwise. You just seem hellbent on carrying water for Pearl in an argument that doesn’t really exist. And you certainly are willing to move the goalposts and alter the criteria on a whim to facilitate your point.

We get it. Pearl is nigh infallible in your eyes. There are people who prefer the less volatile option which is Rick Barnes, even if it comes with potentially lower peaks. Nothing wrong with that. It also comes with higher valleys (less risk).

And I’m not even making an argument for Barnes>Pearl, but you just seem to take small and/or specific data points to make your conclusion seem impenetrable.

Pearl is a great coach. No one is arguing otherwise. You just seem hellbent on carrying water for Pearl in an argument that doesn’t really exist. And you certainly are willing to move the goalposts and alter the criteria on a whim to facilitate your point.

We get it. Pearl is nigh infallible in your eyes. There are people who prefer the less volatile option which is Rick Barnes, even if it comes with potentially lower peaks. Nothing wrong with that. It also comes with higher valleys (less risk).
That take is so bad it’s laughable and you’d assume it’s a joke until you realize who the poster is.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Beyond the above ⬆️ that ship has sailed. Under no set of circumstances that I can imagine, would the current AD offer Pearl a contract.

1643139615229.gif

Pearl owns Barnes in the postseason as well. Remember the 2019 SECT Finals? Best team Barnes had got taken to the woodshed by an underdog Pearl coached team

LMAO...the point is you are disqualified by your own asinine posts from EVER making a point about the regular season

Last edited:
We’ll let’s see, Pearl at least got us to the Elite 8 so I would say anything better than that and Barnes would be in the discussion. However, he has to start beating Pearl in their head to head matchups as well. Pearl pretty much owns Barnes ( Pearl has won 6 in a row vs. CRB)
Pearl is a “win at all costs” kind of guy. Barnes says the same but sometimes he has that let it be and learn from it mentality. There just comes a time when you say screw it, we’re winning now not later.

Reactions: Big time vol
I can't see any credibile argument to suggest Barnes is a better coach than Pearl. He's also not better than a number of other coaches in CBB. Fortunately he's still better than most of them and has the program stable, even if the ceiling seems lower most years than it might with other elite coaches.

However Pearl had it stable to until it suddenly wasn't. So whenever Barnes tenure ends here you just have to hope it's with talent on the roster and via retirement rather than a typical chaotic Tennessee coaching change. If Barnes gets us to a Final Four, give him a statue. If not, and his history strongly suggests this, hopefully we are in a position to hire a guy with that ceiling.

I can't see any credibile argument to suggest Barnes is a better coach than Pearl. He's also not better than a number of other coaches in CBB. Fortunately he's still better than most of them and has the program stable, even if the ceiling seems lower most years than it might with other elite coaches.

However Pearl had it stable to until it suddenly wasn't. So whenever Barnes tenure ends here you just have to hope it's with talent on the roster and via retirement rather than a typical chaotic Tennessee coaching change. If Barnes gets us to a Final Four, give him a statue. If not, and his history strongly suggests this, hopefully we are in a position to hire a guy with that ceiling.
Part of being an NCAA coach is not getting your ass in trouble with the governing body and attempting to get others to help you cover it up. Why so many are so quick to ignore he's a sleaze is mind boggling.

Part of being an NCAA coach is not getting your ass in trouble with the governing body and attempting to get others to help you cover it up. Why so many are so quick to ignore he's a sleaze is mind boggling.
What he did to Deon Thomas as an assistant at Iowa should’ve gotten him banned for life.

Unfortunately the "blue bloods" and other winning programs don't have that mentality. Meaning those who prosper in NCAA basketball ignore the rules all the time. You won't see North Carolina, Duke, Michigan, Syracuse, Kansas, Kentucky or UCLA trading in their NCAA titles because their coaches cheated.

Pearl's known NCAA issues in comparison to all of those programs are minor.

Unfortunately the "blue bloods" and other winning programs don't have that mentality. Meaning those who prosper in NCAA basketball ignore the rules all the time. You won't see North Carolina, Duke, Michigan, Syracuse, Kansas, Kentucky or UCLA trading in their NCAA titles because their coaches cheated.

Pearl's known NCAA issues in comparison to all of those programs are minor.
So just because others do it means it's acceptable? Nice to see how cheap your morals and integrity are.

At least you are a realist.

LMAO...the point is you are disqualified by your own asinine posts from EVER making a point about the regular season
Not sure what you’re talking about. Just because I said college BB is a tournament sport and that regular season #1 rankings really don’t mean squat doesn’t disqualify me from anything. Most college basketball fans that understand the sport would agree with that. Outside of TN fans, do you think anyone else remembers we were ranked #1 for a few weeks in 2019?

Pearl never took us to a final 4 either. That doesn’t make any sense to use as a benchmark

This is what all fans say that realize Pearl is twice the coach Barnes is. We’re so much safer with Barnes. We won’t get in any NCAA trouble. Screw that, I want a Final 4 and a championship. Give me a coach that pushes the envelope and showcases His players talent on the court. Not One that holds them back and prevents them from reaching their potential so they flame out in March. Barnes has been doing this for 35 years

If you give credit to Pearl for having a stable program, would you not assign responsibility for creating the instability to him also. His lies....

VN Store

Back