Would you want Bruce Pearl back? [Pearl discussion — merged]

It’s not hard. Tennessee had idiotic leadership ever since Dickey left and put the business first Hamilton in charge. Considering Bruce faced a near death penalty for his coaching career and went to a Final Four and national contender with Auburn, it’s clear that “what could have been” with Bruce at Tennessee this last decade would have easily resulted in more banners in TBA. Now yes he does own his mistake. Can’t blame anyone else. However, no one that is not clinically insane can say that Hamilton and Co. handled the situation even somewhat coherently. Hamilton literally went to the press the day before our tourney game basically saying Bruce won’t be here and then we get rolled.

Considering the “atrocitities” that were going on in the game at the time, Bruce was caught lying about a BBQ resulted in a show cause while Cal and Rose down I40 had what were basically ineligible players, Tobacco Road cheating/tutor scandals, etc.

Had Tennessee like the other schools told the NCAA to buzz off like countless other programs have done, Bruce prolly has Tennessee on new heights over last decade.

Regardless, I love Barnes and what his hire meant for us. He was the best resumè coach we have hired in our history before coming to Knoxville. I have no ill feelings towards Bruce and will always root for him when Tennessee isn’t playing them. It’s just a game at the end of the day. Both Bruce and Barnes have made positive impacts on the community and state off the court that speak louder than anything on the court.
This is a fantastic post. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: Exiled
The bump violation wasn’t a big ordeal as that literally happens with every coach. It just got put under the microscope. With that said, Bruce has been under microscope with Auburn as his first job since the show cause. Recruiting is much easier under this new system. The people claiming “just wait he’ll mess up again” are truly laughable.
Now you're just making excuses for him. Any intelligent coach wouldn't allow themselves to come close to "bumping into" a recruit illegally. And if you truly think he accidentally bumped into him, you may need to get checked for a concussion or something.

Reactions: cncchris33
And he helped modernize TBA too. It’s much nicer now. Even something as simple as painting the seats made a huge difference. Pearl was great AND I love Coach Barnes. I wouldn’t trade for Pearl but if Barnes retired tomorrow and Bruce decided to come back then hell yeah I’d be excited to have him back. He’s a great coach.
When Barnes retires I'd rather aim for another higher character coach that recruits higher character kids. One that stresses team over self.
We saw Saturday that Auburn's guards are all about themselves, and that probably cost them the game. Pearl seems fine with that and with trash antics like dancing on host teams' logos. If he stays at Auburn forever that's good by me.
How involved was Bruce in the arena renovations?

This University of Tennessee basketball team has some unbelievably great young men representing each of us. The ways in which they make us proud off the court are many. Yeah, I love winning, but in the grand scheme of things, these guys impact so many lives positively in so many ways. Proud to have these individuals representing Tennessee.

When Barnes retires I'd rather aim for another higher character coach that recruits higher character kids. One that stresses team over self.
We saw Saturday that Auburn's guards are all about themselves, and that probably cost them the game. Pearl seems fine with that and with trash antics like dancing on host teams' logos. If he stays at Auburn forever that's good by me.
How involved was Bruce in the arena renovations?
I’m pretty sure some of the changes we made to TBA were his idea but I don’t know that for sure. I get where you’re coming from but I’m not going to judge him for his mistakes when I’ve done far worse things than what I know of his actions. He is certainly a great coach and no one is perfect. I’d say he’s absolutely a top 20 coach today, possibly top 10, and I don’t know if any if the others out there are squeaky clean either. I’m very happy with Barnes and I’d be very happy with Pearl too. Perhaps our leadership wouldn’t allow some of the things Auburn’s does. None of us know and it likely won’t ever happen anyway.

It’s not hard. Tennessee had idiotic leadership ever since Dickey left and put the business first Hamilton in charge. Considering Bruce faced a near death penalty for his coaching career and went to a Final Four and national contender with Auburn, it’s clear that “what could have been” with Bruce at Tennessee this last decade would have easily resulted in more banners in TBA. Now yes he does own his mistake. Can’t blame anyone else. However, no one that is not clinically insane can say that Hamilton and Co. handled the situation even somewhat coherently. Hamilton literally went to the press the day before our tourney game basically saying Bruce won’t be here and then we get rolled.

Considering the “atrocitities” that were going on in the game at the time, Bruce was caught lying about a BBQ resulted in a show cause while Cal and Rose down I40 had what were basically ineligible players, Tobacco Road cheating/tutor scandals, etc.

Had Tennessee like the other schools told the NCAA to buzz off like countless other programs have done, Bruce prolly has Tennessee on new heights over last decade.

Regardless, I love Barnes and what his hire meant for us. He was the best resumè coach we have hired in our history before coming to Knoxville. I have no ill feelings towards Bruce and will always root for him when Tennessee isn’t playing them. It’s just a game at the end of the day. Both Bruce and Barnes have made positive impacts on the community and state off the court that speak louder than anything on the court.
Spot on.

No I wouldn’t. I was a big Bruce Pearl fan even after he got fired and went to Auburn. Obviously, I’m more of a Vol fan and who our coach is currently. Bruce allowing his players to dance on other teams logos(PREGAME) is really STUPID and it’s burnt them 3 times thus far. Them doing that at TBA was totally disrespectful and I’ve lost my respect for boob-sweat Bruce. So glad Barnes and the boys got the monkey off their back. GBO!

Now you're just making excuses for him. Any intelligent coach wouldn't allow themselves to come close to "bumping into" a recruit illegally. And if you truly think he accidentally bumped into him, you may need to get checked for a concussion or something.

PLease tell me where the bump violation was "accidental"..... I'll wait.

I must say that Tennessee's meltdown at crunch time today (Arkansas) was certainly Pearl-esque.

VN Store

Back