Would you want Bruce Pearl back? [Pearl discussion — merged]

Auburn is the best place for Bruce. Long term, Bruce needs an administration that will be complicit with and support cheating. This is the same school that paid HS guidance counselors to get kids eligible gradewise.

Agree if I have to live in a cesspool state like Alabama to have championship teams I will gladly pass. Perfect place for a lying sleazebag like Pearl. To answer the question, No!

If one could guarantee me in March 2011 that Tennessee would feel no ill-effects from the show cause, would I have been cool with keeping Pearl on board? Absolutely.

Do I think Tennessee should even remotely consider hiring him after Barnes retires, let alone at the expense of Barnes’ career? Absolutely not.

He's a great coach with a national title ceiling, and the fans generally loved him, but his time here is past. When Barnes retires I suspect we will get whatever hot mid-major name is out there and hope for the best. Whomever we get has a good shot at being as good as Barnes/Martin/Jerry Green and that is enough to satisfy most people here. Just hope whomever replaces Barnes has a championship upside.

Reactions: Volle
I’m not attacking you OP, but the life of a Tennessee fan would be so much easier if the Bruce Pearl years were just wiped from our brain.

Why? Would you like the Neyland years wiped away too? The Summitt years? Bruce wasn't as successful as either but he's the most successful coach we've ever had. No need to forget him. But no use in thinking he'll ever coach here again either.

Auburn is the best place for Bruce. Long term, Bruce needs an administration that will be complicit with and support cheating. This is the same school that paid HS guidance counselors to get kids eligible gradewise.
If if Barnes can get us to a F4 I'd welcome a little cheating. But just making the Tourney is enough for most here.

He's a great coach with a national title ceiling, and the fans generally loved him, but his time here is past. When Barnes retires I suspect we will get whatever hot mid-major name is out there and hope for the best. Whomever we get has a good shot at being as good as Barnes/Martin/Jerry Green and that is enough to satisfy most people here. Just hope whomever replaces Barnes has a championship upside.
I have to disagree. This program is at a great level now. Rick Barnes has established Tennessee Basketball as a premier program in the SEC...let alone the country. This season is frustrating sure with the sputtering offense....I get that. This team has the talent and athleticism to get hot and make a deep run in the tournament if it can click on the offensive side of the ball. As for paying a top tier basketball coach....we have already showed the elite head coaches in the country we will step up to the plate with the $$$$$$$$...

Barnes will make $4.7 million next season, with annual raises of $250,000 to pump the salary to $5.7 million in the 2023-24 season. Only six coaches earned more than $4 million in the 2018-19 season, according to the USA TODAY coaches database.

At Tennessee, Barnes will make $4.95 million in 2020-21, $5.2 million in 2021-22, $5.45 million in 2022-23 and then $5.7 million in the 2023-24 season.

His contract extension, which he signed last summer, was worth $21 million over six years. That extension paid Barnes $3.25 million in 2018-19, putting him No. 14 nationally in salary and No. 2 in the SEC behind Kentucky's John Calipari.

List of top 20 highest paid college basketball coaches in 2021

He is currently the 5th highest paid head coach in college basketball. The program is solid now. We would throw money at the right guy....AD White ain't scared guy.

I have to disagree. This program is at a great level now. Rick Barnes has established Tennessee Basketball as a premier program in the SEC...let alone the country. This season is frustrating sure with the sputtering offense....I get that. This team has the talent and athleticism to get hot and make a deep run in the tournament if it can click on the offensive side of the ball. As for paying a top tier basketball coach....we have already showed the elite head coaches in the country we will step up to the plate with the $$$$$$$$...

List of top 20 highest paid college basketball coaches in 2021

He is currently the 5th highest paid head coach in college basketball. The program is solid now. We would throw money at the right guy....AD White ain't scared guy.

All that just means we will be able to land the hot mid-major guy. You throw out a big offer to a Scott Drew/Jay Wright if circumstances haven't changed that much, since the Big 12 is collapsing, Villanova is not in a great spot in the overall college athletics landscape, and the SEC is the absolute future of college sports. But 95 percent shot they say no and you hit the mid major market.

Reactions: SWS22
All that just means we will be able to land the hot mid-major guy. You throw out a big offer to a Scott Drew/Jay Wright if circumstances haven't changed that much, since the Big 12 is collapsing, Villanova is not in a great spot in the overall college athletics landscape, and the SEC is the absolute future of college sports. But 95 percent shot they say no and you hit the mid major market.

Scott Drew won a National Championship at Baylor.

They’re not going to let him go and can match any offer we give him.

Same for Jay Wright.

Let’s be realistic.

Throwing money around doesn’t automatically mean we’re going to land an elite coach.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
I get tired of hearing the old argument, a little cheating is ok. That is what is wrong with the world today be it sports or even our places of employment. I guess I am getting too old seeing I still think it can be done the honest way. Many of these saying let's bring back Bruce and even excuse a little behind the doors funny business are the same ones that have complained about the cheating done by Pitino, Calipari, Wade, etc. etc. I myself refuse to accept a great team at the expense of cheating and wonder when we will have to vacate victories and banners. Bruce had his chance, he made his bed, let him lie in it. Please, enough with the argument that the administration should have warned him and even stood behind him. Last time I heard, no one stuck a gun to his head to make him lie.

Why? Would you like the Neyland years wiped away too? The Summitt years? Bruce wasn't as successful as either but he's the most successful coach we've ever had. No need to forget him. But no use in thinking he'll ever coach here again either.

I love Bruce. Not remembering him here would mean I wouldn’t be fighting mad every time I see Auburn succeed. It really almost makes me hostile lol

Lumping Barnes, Martin, and Green together is quite the interesting take.

VN Store

Back