Would you want Bruce Pearl back? [Pearl discussion — merged]

This is what all fans say that realize Pearl is twice the coach Barnes is. We’re so much safer with Barnes. We won’t get in any NCAA trouble. Screw that, I want a Final 4 and a championship. Give me a coach that pushes the envelope and showcases His players talent on the court. Not One that holds them back and prevents them from reaching their potential so they flame out in March. Barnes has been doing this for 35 years
Found another who has no integrity. I've never seen people slurp on a guy who was banned from the game so much.

This is what all fans say that realize Pearl is twice the coach Barnes is. We’re so much safer with Barnes. We won’t get in any NCAA trouble. Screw that, I want a Final 4 and a championship. Give me a coach that pushes the envelope and showcases His players talent on the court. Not One that holds them back and prevents them from reaching their potential so they flame out in March. Barnes has been doing this for 35 years
Sure, cherish all those Final Fours and Championships Bruce Pearl won at Tennessee, then. The NCAA investigation never happened.

An ahistorical memoir by 1985Vols.

Barnes is 7-6 vs, Calipari. Not exactly what I would call “ owning” someone
Good grief, your agenda is paper-thin. 1-0 in the postseason is Pearl owning Barnes, but Barnes having a 7-6 edge over Calipari and Kentucky is barely a footnote. Newsflash...neither record is considered owning the other by any rational definition.

If you give credit to Pearl for having a stable program, would you not assign responsibility for creating the instability to him also. His lies....

I blame Mike Hamilton much more than Pearl for the instability that came. However, I did say Pearl had a stable program until it suddenly wasn't.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
There are some legit arguments that put Pearl in a better light than Barnes. But I see a suggestion that says “Pearl can beat Calipari.”

Bruce Pearl is 9-13 against Calipari. I believe Barnes is 9-9 against him with it being 8-7 at UT. Go find another argument.

I blame Mike Hamilton much more than Pearl for the instability that came. However, I did say Pearl had a stable program until it suddenly wasn't.
Much more? Really? It was Pearl's actions that led to the instability. Hamilton had a hand in it, as well. Arguably a larger hand further down the road. It just seems impossible to separate either guy's role in the instability, and I wouldn't call either person "much more" responsible.

Good grief, your agenda is paper-thin. 1-0 in the postseason is Pearl owning Barnes, but Barnes having a 7-6 edge over Calipari and Kentucky is barely a footnote. Newsflash...neither record is considered owning the other by any rational definition.

"Rational" is the key word here. Gotta remember that he's often times not particularly rational.

Remind me, how many Final 4's did we make and how many championships did we win under Pearl?

If you want to say Pearl is a better coach than Barnes, that's fine by me. I don't disagree. Complaining that Barnes isn't making Final 4's here while also worshipping Pearl is a little comical, though, considering Pearl didn't take us to any Final 4's.

Remind me, how many Final 4's did we make and how many championships did we win under Pearl?

If you want to say Pearl is a better coach than Barnes, that's fine by me. I don't disagree. Complaining that Barnes isn't making Final 4's here while also worshipping Pearl is a little comical, though, considering Pearl didn't take us to any Final 4's.
People also tend to criticize Barnes for a lack of offense and seem to forget how maddening it was to watch Pearl's halfcourt Flex offense and all the desperation 3's at the end of the shot clock.

Pearl owns Barnes in the postseason as well. Remember the 2019 SECT Finals? Best team Barnes had got taken to the woodshed by an underdog Pearl coached team

LMAO...the point is you gaslight everyone on the board about how the regular season does not matter yet you cherry-pick specific points which just so happen to suit your narrative. Its laughable whether its this or your posts about our losses this season when we only have Q1 losses. I will say it again...for CRB to be as bad you try to paint him one would think it would be easy for you to make your case without constantly overreaching.

Not sure what you’re talking about. Just because I said college BB is a tournament sport and that regular season #1 rankings really don’t mean squat doesn’t disqualify me from anything. Most college basketball fans that understand the sport would agree with that. Outside of TN fans, do you think anyone else remembers we were ranked #1 for a few weeks in 2019?

Nice spin...lol

That sums up @1985Vols

People also tend to criticize Barnes for a lack of offense and seem to forget how maddening it was to watch Pearl's halfcourt Flex offense and all the desperation 3's at the end of the shot clock.
It was pretty funny, because you could see the progression every possession. Flex, flex, flex, oh there’s 10 seconds left, better do a ball screen. Defensive efficiency was all over the place, too, since Pearl’s teams tended to emphasize steals over rim protection (ironically the current team is doing this, but more effectively than any Pearl team did).

I think looking at what Pearl is doing at Auburn and thinking he could have done the same at Tennessee is ridiculous. The whole reason they’ve gotten to this point is that Pearl changed in the time he spent away from coaching. The administration at Tennessee completely turned over in that time, too, and it’s a completely different group in charge — one that is giving Barnes more room to succeed than he had in his late tenure at Texas.

Finally, I think the whole pining for Pearl thing comes from an imagined reality where Pearl was fired for the dumb NCAA penalties, rather than his internal coverup meant to deceive his own bosses. If I’m going to bat for my coach with the NCAA, how embarrassing is it to say “this is the truth, there is no reason for Pearl to lie to me” only to find out he did? Try that in any other job and see what happens to you.

Just saw an article on SaturayDownSouth that Louisville's coach is going to be let go after this season if not sooner and that Pearl was very interested in the position. If true so much for his loyalty to a school. But coaching is a business and we fans sometime forget that.

LMAO...the point is you gaslight everyone on the board about how the regular season does not matter yet you cherry-pick specific points which just so happen to suit your narrative. Its laughable whether its this or your posts about our losses this season when we only have Q1 losses. I will say it again...for CRB to be as bad you try to paint him one would think it would be easy for you to make your case without constantly overreaching.
I have never said Barnes is “ bad”. My point has always been we will never get past the Sweet 16 with Barnes. That’s his ceiling. He sucks The confidence out of some of his players and they played scared to make a mistake. That’s how he’s always been. He’s not bad, he’s just not “ elite” like some of you want to make him out to be.

I have never said Barnes is “ bad”. My point has always been we will never get past the Sweet 16 with Barnes. That’s his ceiling. He sucks The confidence out of some of his players and they played scared to make a mistake. That’s how he’s always been. He’s not bad, he’s just not “ elite” like some of you want to make him out to be.
Elite? Really? Don’t know that I’ve ever heard anyone at this site claim that Barnes is an “elite” coach. And before you bring up his salary, there are values Barnes brings to the program that go beyond Xs and Os, Jimmie’s and Joe’s. He has provided stability while under the ncaa microscope following the Tyndall debacle.

So what would your take be if he were to make an Elite 8?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back