Would you want Bruce Pearl back? [Pearl discussion — merged]

He's had 2 Final Fours at 2 diffirent schools vacated under his command. That's not a coincidence.
Guilty by association, got it. Hope you are never on a capital murder jury. In this country, innocent until proven guilty. If Cal was guilty, he would have been named.

Guilty by association, got it. Hope you are never on a capital murder jury. In this country, innocent until proven guilty. If Cal was guilty, he would have been named.
I think a college basketball coach would be judged by the civil suit criteria of “prove the defendant acted negligently with a 51% degree of certainty “

"If you lie down with dogs...", well, you know the rest.

Honestly, though, I do think Cal has likely curbed the amount of illicit activity since his time at Memphis. Kentucky's national brand and historical significance provides him an elemental advantage he didn't necessarily have at UMass or Memphis. UK sort of recruits itself in the sense that Cal doesn't have to delve into the same depths of seedy recruiting tactics he did in other stops in order to stay competitive.

But you speak of intellectual dishonesty, I think it's a little intellectually dishonest, or perhaps blissfully naive to believe that Cal had zero knowledge of anything going on at either of his previous two stops. It's probably also intellectually dishonest to believe the Camby and Rose incidents were isolated and not actually just the larger scale and sloppier episodes in a sordid history of impropriety.
I worked for a UK booster, Cal knows what goes on between boosters and players. UK is just smart about it.
His exact words when Tubby was fired was “the brown bag specials and $100 handshakes are back baby!”
He once told me that a certain UK big man was now employed at our Lexington facility. When I asked what job he’s doing, he laughed and said “aww hell, the boy doesnt do anything but drive to the warehouse and pick up a check every Friday.”
He knew I was a Tennessee fan and loved to rub my face in it.
GBO!!

I think a college basketball coach would be judged by the civil suit criteria of “prove the defendant acted negligently with a 51% degree of certainty “
Fair enough, but OP is just pulling stuff out of his butt. Just because you suspect doesn't mean it's happening.

Yes. Having a conversation with an Alabama fan and he said he hates that their basketball usually sucks and he wishes they would’ve gotten pearl. I said yeah I know and said but we always beat Tennessee. End of conversation.

He ain't ever coming back.
No. 2 in the country potentially No. 1
50% or less say No Way do they want him back. Maybe less...than 50%
We couldn't afford him after Auburn's counter
He would make more than 5 Mil and 75% would complain about that.
With the way he has it going on in Auburn why would he come back?
His Character is highly questionable, even though he may have fixed that issue.
I am not sure he would come back, but if you think he deserves a raise make him an offer...
We would look pretty desperate and dumb to chase after him....
When he is available, we will have moved on and will not want.

Last edited:
That absolutely is not the same KY team we played. Is that because of Auburn, because of us, or because KY? Probably some of all but I think mostly Auburn being quicker than UK (and quicker than us) and UK just played out of their minds against us.

That absolutely is not the same KY team we played. Is that because of Auburn, because of us, or because KY? Probably some of all but I think mostly Auburn being quicker than UK (and quicker than us) and UK just played out of their minds against us.
Kentucky was looking good until the Washington injury.

AU is way more athletic than we are; especially their bigs. They obviously emphasize FT shooting, too. Good solid team.

I was a sophomore when he came to campus. I met him and talked with him several times while I was there as did many of the kids on campus. He was always engaging, full of life and excitement, and provided some of the best games in the history of men’s basketball at UT. He loved it here and I am sure he would have retired here if he could have. I hate what happened to him over essentially a barbecue, and though I am happy we have barnes and appreciate what he is doing, I would take back coach Pearl in a heartbeat

AU is way more athletic than we are; especially their bigs. They obviously emphasize FT shooting, too. Good solid team.
When they went to the final what I noticed was how quick they were, especially at PG and in the post. No big man could stay with Okeke. When he went down I thought Auburn stood no chance. They almost pulled it off anyway. With Okeke I have no doubt they would’ve won the title that year.

Correlation is not causation. Pretty well known that he had nothing to do with either violation. To gloss over this fact is intellectually dishonest.
This statement is the most absurd quote I’ve seen on here in a while. I’m not talking JUST about two Final Fours, either. There were tons of things going on within that Memphis program at the time that were very sketchy. Before talking to someone else about intellectual dishonesty, I would check my own ego at the door.

I worked for a UK booster, Cal knows what goes on between boosters and players. UK is just smart about it.
His exact words when Tubby was fired was “the brown bag specials and $100 handshakes are back baby!”
He once told me that a certain UK big man was now employed at our Lexington facility. When I asked what job he’s doing, he laughed and said “aww hell, the boy doesnt do anything but drive to the warehouse and pick up a check every Friday.”
He knew I was a Tennessee fan and loved to rub my face in it.
GBO!!
There was a good reason Calipari didn’t become the coach at UK in 2007. After the Tubby Smith and Billy Gillispie years, Kentucky was willing to take the chance they wouldn’t take previously to that regarding Calipari.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Just like Clemson got our football program, Auburn has our hoops program. Why would anyone rather play for Barnes instead of Pearl? That team was playing loose and having fun. Green is a helluva PG. He's a combination of ZZtop and Chandler. Tough little nut. Kessler would have been huge for our team but he clearly made the right call. Auburn proved you can win with taking the ball to the hoop and having a mid-range game. Wheeler puts on a real show. Gets an academy award for the best actor playing for UK. Would have been a superb soccer player. UK will be a force in the NCAA. Might even cut down the nets with the right draw. UT is no where near either the UK or AU level. Both those teams are more talented, more athletic and better coached than we are.

Just like Clemson got our football program, Auburn has our hoops program. Why would anyone rather play for Barnes instead of Pearl? That team was playing loose and having fun. Green is a helluva PG. He's a combination of ZZtop and Chandler. Tough little nut. Kessler would have been huge for our team but he clearly made the right call. Auburn proved you can win with taking the ball to the hoop and having a mid-range game. Wheeler puts on a real show. Gets an academy award for the best actor playing for UK. Would have been a superb soccer player. UK will be a force in the NCAA. Might even cut down the nets with the right draw. UT is no where near either the UK or AU level. Both those teams are more talented, more athletic and better coached than we are.
I literally thought of the Clemson/Auburn comparison while watching Pearl take his team to #1.
It’s kinda disgusting to think about.
GBO!!

This statement is the most absurd quote I’ve seen on here in a while. I’m not talking JUST about two Final Fours, either. There were tons of things going on within that Memphis program at the time that were very sketchy. Before talking to someone else about intellectual dishonesty, I would check my own ego at the door.
I am still waiting on your direct evidence that Cal knew about Camby and Rose.

You mean to tell me that an entirely different supporting crew and boosters around him all acted negligently and he had no clue? So he's just as clueless off the court as he looks on the court?

Never ... after he caused all the turnover .... he lied about things ..then asked a family lie and says they werent at BBQ .. wow .. how low can ya get .. but it seems to be working for Auburn and LSU .. but id rather be where we are than to be lead by a couple liers .. Pearl and Wade are scum ... wish NCAA get some balls and really take care of problems ....
i guess you think Tennessee has never had a coach to lie or ever do anything wrong before. We have had many many and I could name several of them !!!!!!

Reactions: JohnWardForever

VN Store

Back