Would 6-6 be an improvement?

Had last year's team played Mizzou or USCe during the middle of the season (as it was during the original schedule), those games would have been Ls. The Troy game might have been one too.

Last year's team rolled over and quit on Pruitt after halftime of the 3rd game

Some players on defense stopped fighting when they realized that offense was not going to score enough points to win. It was a sad thing to see.

When did I say that? I merely pointed out UCF got worse as more of his recruits got in. We always point at this with opposing teams coaches or our past coaches but now our current coach is immune to criticism? He could end up being incredible, I hope so. But his tenure at UCF where they regressed each season doesn’t make Me confident.
And you are still wrong. You are not considering performance- just wins. Wins are the ultimate goal but it does not mean there's a "drop off" when you win the tight games one year and then don't the next.

You are VERY consistently trying to make more of this than is there. And you aren't believable any more when you say you "hope" he ends up being good. You've attached your ego to him failing at this point. You've stated it very plainly that he is going to fail and that he isn't a good coach. Have the courage to own it or else change the way you say it.

FWIW though I doubt you can be reasoned with....

UCF played six teams with a winning record in 2018 and five in 2019. Their "worst" loss in 2019 was by 3 points. They scored 562 in '18 and 564 in '19. They allowed 295 in '18 and 299 in '19. If anything, that is a remarkably similar performance. The breaks will always swing from team to team and year to year when you play competitive in every game.

Had last year's team played Mizzou or USCe during the middle of the season (as it was during the original schedule), those games would have been Ls. The Troy game might have been one too.

Last year's team rolled over and quit on Pruitt after halftime of the 3rd game
Why did they quit? I'm not disagreeing.

Not necessarily, no.
IMHO...the only way to measure the program's improvement is by how the Vols play against those top tier SEC teams we aren't "supposed" to beat. The metric there isn't "wins"...but rather how well we played, and were the Vols in the game for 4 quarters. When we're challenging Bama and Georgia ( as examples) for FOUR quarters of football and keeping the final score in doubt for the entire game..we'll KNOW the program is on it's way back. Until that happens, "number of wins" has very little meaning.
Want more wins...schedule more weak programs, ezy-peezy. Then everyone can do hi-fives when the Vols blow out the LaSallette Academy for Crippled Girls...!!
GBO. !!!!!!!!!

6-6 > 3-7, just follow the science.

I don't think 6-6 would be an improvement:

We should beat Bowling Green, Tennessee Tech, S. Alabama and Vandy with relative ease.

We are better than SCAR and Pitt which are home games. We have more talent than Kentucky (yes we do) and Mizzou but they are road games. I expect to beat Kentucky. Mizzou and Ole Miss are toss ups.

Winning only 6 games means that we probably lose 3 or more to Kentucky, Mizzou, Ole Miss, SCAR and Pitt.
The fact that we should win games devalues the wins? I'm not sure I'm following the logic.

So an undefeated season wouldn't be better than a three win season if we were favored in all games? Lord have mercy, give me those crummy seasons then! I can't wait to be favored in most games.

His record getting worse each year at UCF is a FACT it doesn’t matter if it’s by 1 point 3 points or 50 points. 12-1 10-3 to 6-4 is a clear regression in performance. Before you sling the covid excuse at me every team was impacted by covid not just UCF. It’s literally a fact his record got worse each season as more of his recruits entered.
You're assuming a strict correlation between record and the team's performance. There's a huge amount of analysis I'm betting you haven't done.

Reactions: FïreBall
When did I say that? I merely pointed out UCF got worse as more of his recruits got in. We always point at this with opposing teams coaches or our past coaches but now our current coach is immune to criticism? He could end up being incredible, I hope so. But his tenure at UCF where they regressed each season doesn’t make Me confident.

You've merely pointed out that the record changed without presenting any analysis that his teams regressed in actual on-field performance. It's like claiming that a bicyclist's performance regressed by showing a slower time without doing the analysis to compare courses. Or because his/her placing went down two places without doing a detailed comparison of the performances his/her competitors.

You're making a very lazy argument.

Reactions: FïreBall
You've merely pointed out that the record changed without presenting any analysis that his teams regressed in actual on-field performance. It's like claiming that a bicyclist's performance regressed by showing a slower time without doing the analysis to compare courses. Or because his/her placing went down two places without doing a detailed comparison of the performances his/her competitors.

You're making a very lazy argument.

In Heupel's final season at UCF, his team didn't beat an opponent that ended the season with a winning record, and every opponent that they did play that ended the season with a winning record, they lost to.

In Heupel's final season at UCF, his team didn't beat an opponent that ended the season with a winning record, and every opponent that they did play that ended the season with a winning record, they lost to.
That's a bit more analysis than B4H offered.

His record getting worse each year at UCF is a FACT it doesn’t matter if it’s by 1 point 3 points or 50 points. 12-1 10-3 to 6-4 is a clear regression in performance. Before you sling the covid excuse at me every team was impacted by covid not just UCF. It’s literally a fact his record got worse each season as more of his recruits entered.
Meh, not sure the previous coaching record means squat before a coach "levels up."

Butch Jones was successful at C Mich and Cincy, quite successful, and still lost to Vandy 3 outta 5 times he faced them in Orange, I believe.

Like stocks, "past performance is no guarantee of future results" applies to coaches also.

So we won 3 games last year. Some are saying winning 6 wouldn’t be an improvement? Are those people using some kind of math that I am not familiar with?

So we won 3 games last year. Some are saying winning 6 wouldn’t be an improvement? Are those people using some kind of math that I am not familiar with?

You really going to pretend that we didn't play 10 SEC games last season, and we only have 8 on the schedule this year, with the standard 3 cupcakes and 1 half-decent OOC opponent?

We could go 2-6 in conference play and still end up 6-6.

DING..DING..DING...!!!!
THANK YOU. This is an absolutely legitimate point to make and you can BET YOUR AZZ...if his record had improved every year, by whatever mechanism....folks here would be screaming it from the rooftops as " gold plated evidence of his awesomeness".
I'm ALL IN for Coach Heupel because he is the Head Coach of the Tennessee Football team. That said however, it's a fact that his record at UCF in the post-Frost years doesn't offer the kind of encouragement we all wish it did, and there's no denying it. AD White knows Coach Heupel and we will respect his decision until or unless the results on the field in Knoxville show us otherwise.
GBO..!!!!

No, I was dealing with thyroid cancer and never watched a game only highlights for the first several games. Surgery and rehab. Could not take the stress of watching a game.
Oh my. I had thyroid surgery last month, although mine didn’t end up being cancer. I hope you’re doing well.

You really going to pretend that we didn't play 10 SEC games last season, and we only have 8 on the schedule this year, with the standard 3 cupcakes and 1 half-decent OOC opponent?

We could go 2-6 in conference play and still end up 6-6.

Doesn’t matter. 6 is more than 3. So given what has transpired in the past few months, I would absolutely consider 6 wins an improvement.

I can except 2-6 in conference play this year.

Doesn’t matter. 6 is more than 3. So given what has transpired in the past few months, I would absolutely consider 6 wins an improvement.

By that same logic you just used wouldn’t it also be regression because 2-6 in conference is less wins than 3-7?

Reactions: BeardedVol

Lol, so you believe that beating Bowling Green or Tennessee Tech is the same as beating any SEC team?

A win is a win. Is there an asterisk beside those games indicating a difference? No.

7303510f7883bb20ccabd4e97fc97d77.gif

Reactions: guido4198

VN Store

Back